------=_NextPart_000_0030_01BF034F.27D910E0

SHAN HERALD AGENCY FOR NEWS

SHAN - EU

SEPTEMBER 20, 1999

HEADLINES :

1. Is Asean an entity worth keeping?
2. A global need for consensus
3. UN must learn from mistakes
4. 2,500 in first wave of troops to land
5. The Timor test
6. Factory explosion kills 28
7. Troops put block on Chechnya

BANGKOK POST - September 20, 1999

Postbag

Is Asean an entity worth keeping?

At first we believed that the militias were solely to blame for the East
Timor tragedy. Then we found out that they were the puppets of the
Indonesian military. And finally we heard with a shock that the military =
was
a puppet for some big generals in the government.

At the same time, we were deeply dissatisfied with the unnecessary
reservations of a fellow Asean member which contributed to the slow =
action
in saving the East Timorese.

We Asean members did nothing. We said nothing. We waited until the
international community urged us to do something. Our inaction =
perpetuated
the tragedy many more days. So serious consideration is needed: Is Asean
necessary?

It is well known Asean was founded to support political and economic
co-operation between countries of the region. But, politically, the main
objective faded as China became less threatening and quasi-capitalist.
Economically, it achieved little while occasionally visitors to
meetings-namely bigshots from the member nations-wore the costumes of =
the
host country and danced with local beauties.

Moreover, the subsequent participation of dictatorial Burma and =
communist
Vietnam greatly eroded its credibility in the eyes of the international
community.

Finally, the East Timor tragedy has highlighted its inefficiency and
inaction. Asean did nothing in contrast with other UN member nations.

The Asian value of non-interference in and excessive modesty before =
other
member nations was the cause of the delayed action in East Timor.

Given its negative role in this tragedy, the necessity of continuing =
with
Asean must be most seriously questioned.

Somchai Mahakiju

SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST - Published on Sunday, September 19, 1999

A global need for consensus

Timely intervention: United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan

KOFI ANNAN

The tragedy of East Timor, coming so soon after that of Kosovo, has =
focused
attention once again on the need for timely intervention by the
international community when death and suffering are being inflicted on
large numbers of people, and when the state nominally in charge is =
unable or
unwilling to stop it.
In Kosovo a group of states intervened without seeking authority from =
the
United Nations Security Council. In East Timor the council has now
authorised intervention, but only after obtaining an invitation from
Indonesia. We all hope this will rapidly stabilise the situation, but =
many
hundreds, probably thousands, of innocent people have already perished. =
As
in Rwanda five years ago, the international community stands accused of
doing too little, too late.

Neither of these precedents is satisfactory as a model for the new
millennium. Just as we have learned that the world cannot stand aside =
when
gross and systematic violations of human rights are taking place, we =
have
also learned that, if it is to enjoy the sustained support of the =
world's
peoples, intervention must be based on legitimate and universal =
principles.
We need to better adapt our international system to a world with new =
actors,
new responsibilities, and new possibilities for peace and progress.

State sovereignty, in its most basic sense, is being redefined - not =
least
by the forces of globalisation and international co-operation. States =
are
now widely understood to be instruments at the service of their peoples, =
and
not vice versa.

At the same time, individual sovereignty - by which I mean the =
fundamental
freedom of each individual, enshrined in the charter of the UN and
subsequent international treaties - has been enhanced by a renewed and
spreading consciousness of individual rights. When we read the charter
today, we are more than ever conscious that its aim is to protect =
individual
human beings, not to protect those who abuse them.

These changes in the world do not make hard political choices any =
easier.
But they do oblige us to think anew about such questions as how the UN
responds to humanitarian crises, and why states are willing to take =
action
in some areas of conflict, but not in others where the daily toll of =
death
and suffering is as bad or worse.

I believe it is essential that the international community reaches
consensus - not only on the principle that massive and systematic =
violations
of human rights must be checked, wherever they take place, but also on =
ways
of deciding what action is necessary, and when, and by whom.

First, "intervention" should not be understood as referring only to the =
use
of force. A tragic irony of many of the crises that go unnoticed or
unchallenged in the world today is that they can be dealt with by far =
less
perilous acts of intervention than the one seen this year in Yugoslavia. =
And
yet the commitment of the world to peace-keeping, to humanitarian
assistance, to rehabilitation and reconstruction varies greatly from =
region
to region, and from crisis to crisis.

If the new commitment to humanitarian action is to retain the support of =
the
world's peoples, it must be - and must be seen to be - universal,
irrespective of region or nation. Humanity, after all, is indivisible.

Second, it is clear that traditional notions of sovereignty alone are =
not
the only obstacle to effective action in humanitarian crises. No less
significant are the ways in which states define their national =
interests.
The world has changed in profound ways since the end of the Cold War, =
but I
fear our conceptions of national interest have failed to follow suit. A =
new,
broader definition of national interest is needed in the new century, =
which
would induce states to find greater unity in the pursuit of common goals =
and
values.

THIRD, in cases where forceful intervention does become necessary, the
Security Council - the body charged with authorising the use of force =
under
international law - must be able to rise to the challenge. The choice =
must
not be between council unity and inaction in the face of genocide - as =
in
the case of Rwanda - and council division, but regional action, as in =
the
case of Kosovo. In both cases, the UN should have been able to find =
common
ground in upholding the principles of the charter, and acting in defence =
of
our common humanity.

Fourth, when fighting stops, the international commitment to peace must =
be
just as strong as was the commitment to war. In this situation, too,
consistency is essential.

Just as our commitment to humanitarian action must be universal if it is =
be legitimate, so our commitment to peace cannot end as soon as there is =
cease-fire. The aftermath of war requires no less skill, no less =
sacrifice,
no fewer resources than the war itself, if lasting peace is to be =
secured.

Kofi Annan is United Nations Secretary-General.

SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST - Monday, September 20, 1999

LETTER

UN must learn from mistakes

During the last month, we have witnessed the atrocities caused by the
militias in East Timor.
It can be argued that the UN is somewhat to blame as many voters and =
priests
were assured protection on a long-term basis by the UN.

If the UN ever sponsors an election for the independence of a country =
again
it is important that it learns from its mistakes.

First and foremost, it must ensure the safety of all its staff involved.
East Timor has been in a state of unrest since at least February. =
Sending in
volunteers under such a violent climate should never be repeated.

The UN needs to be more careful who it chooses to protect the people =
that
vote.

The UN proceeded with the trust of the Indonesian Government which had =
just
changed hands leaving an unstable political climate.

East Timor was a giant mistake and the UN needs to learn from it.

GLYNN STEPHEN
Victoria, Newfoundland
Canada

SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST - Monday, September 20, 1999

EAST TIMOR

2,500 in first wave of troops to land

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE in Dili and Darwin, Australia

Up to 2,500 soldiers from a multinational force for East Timor will =
arrive
in Dili by air early today, the head of the Indonesian martial law =
command
in East Timor said yesterday.
Major-General Kiki Syahnakri said force commander Major-General Peter
Cosgrove, the leader of the International Force for East Timor =
(Interfet)
would land at Dili's Comoro airport about 4.5 hours after the first =
arrivals
in the capital.

General Syahnakri said he had been told by the Australian military =
attache
in Jakarta that six Hercules transport aircraft would make 37 flights =
from
Australia.

He expected up to 2,500 personnel to be transported on those flights.

In addition, 10 Blackhawk helicopters would fly in while logistic and =
heavy
equipment, including armoured personnel carriers, would arrive on =
several
warships that left on Saturday.

General Syahnakri said some of the troops would be sent to East Timor's
second city, Baucau, 115km east of Dili.

"There will as yet be no deployment to the regions, but they will be
transported to two points, because if they all stay in Dili, it would be =
too
cramped," he said.

However, he said Interfet had not yet informed the Indonesian military =
how
many troops would be sent to Baucau and when.

Australian officials said the initial landing force would secure the
airfield perimeter. Dili's port would also need to be made safe for the
landing of light armoured vehicles, trucks and supplies aboard the =
ships.

British Gurkhas were likely to be some of the first to set foot in East
Timor, General Cosgrove said.

He said 3,200 peacekeeping troops would be on the ground within seven =
days.

French and Italian contingents arrived in Australia yesterday to join
Portuguese, Thai and Philippine troops.

A party of US Marines based in Okinawa is also in the country. Up to 200
American troops will provide logistics, communications and intelligence.

SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST - Monday, September 20, 1999

EDITORIAL

The Timor test

Today will see the start of yet another test of Indonesia's political
reliability when the first United Nations-endorsed peacekeepers land in =
East
Timor to restore and maintain order. If Jakarta performs as =
disgracefully as
it has in the past, grim times lie ahead.
That UN troops are being sent stems entirely from the decision of
Indonesia's generals to make murder, rape and pillaging their official
policies.

Rather than leave the territory and let residents of East Timor have the
independence they chose, and which Jakarta promised to deliver, an angry
army did its best to destroy that which it could not keep. An =
ineffectual
civilian leadership could not or would not reverse this course.

Only after reluctant outsiders threatened reprisals, such as blocking
desperately needed loans, did Jakarta finally agree to let in =
peacekeepers.
Even then, militiamen and Indonesian soldiers continued to murder as =
many
pro-independence leaders as possible, while destroying what little =
modern
infrastructure East Timor had.

How well the army co-operates with peacekeepers will test anew its =
political
credibility. Initial reports from Dili, the East Timor capital where UN
representatives met Jakarta commanders yesterday, were promising.

At the same time, however, militia leaders said they would fight to =
control
a section of East Timor for those who voted against independence - a =
demand
which has no legal basis.

If the army lets its militia puppets fight the UN forces, then Jakarta
should pay a heavy price. International agencies should halt all aid, =
and
other countries should bring maximum pressure on Indonesia to act like =
the
responsible nation it so often claims to be.

East Timor deserves the peace and freedom for which its people have =
suffered
so much.

BANGKOK POST - September 20, 1999

DISASTER / LAMYAI PROCESSING PLANT DESTROYED

Factory explosion kills 28
Houses demolished in impact of blast

Subin Khernkaew and omsak Sooksai
Chiang Mai

At least 28 people were killed and 20 others still unaccounted for after =
powerful explosion destroyed a Taiwanese-owned lamyai processing plant =
in
San Patong district.

The blast also injured dozens of people and caused damage to a hospital, =
school, a temple and about 100 houses within a 1km radius of the =
factory.

At least three houses were completely demolished by the impact of the
explosion, which was suspected to have been caused by potassium chlorate
illegally stored in the factory.

Police said there were about 50 workers at the Thai Kaset Pattana lamyai
processing factory when the explosion took place.

Rescue workers who combed through the ruins of the factory building =
found 10
charred bodies and several human limbs.

The blast dug up a big hole about three metres deep, five metres wide =
and 20
metres long.

Vegetation in a forest clearing around the factory was burning as =
rescuers
sifted through the wreckage for victims. Several cars were gutted.

An injured witness, Mr Somboon, who lived about 500m from the factory, =
said
he was watching a boxing match between WBC welterweight champion Oscar =
de la
Hoya and IBF champion Felix Trinidad when he suddenly heard a thunderous
explosion and his television set screen burst.

"The explosion was so deafening, it was as if the sky had collapsed. =
Then a
strong gust of wind blew into the living room through the shattered =
glass
windows" injuring him, he said. A dog huddling by the door was blown =
away by
the force of the blast and died.

Mr Somboon said he was rushed to the district hospital by his neighbours =
who
escaped unharmed.

Another witness recalled he was driving in his jeep and happened to pass =
by
the factory at the time. He said he felt as if his car had been hit
violently from the rear and the windows and windshield shattered.

"The car engine went dead and it slid forward," said the man, adding =
that he
felt chest pains and could not move although he still was conscious when
someone opened the door of his car and took him to hospital.

Buakam Boonma of Ban Dong village in Tambon Makham Luang, said 18 of =
those
who died were from her village, among them her own son, 22-year-old Aew, =
and
a nephew, Prathuang Jampacha.

Mrs Buakam said the two, who were employees of the factory, had gone to =
work
overtime yesterday. She went to the hospital yesterday to claim their =
bodies
but could not because they had been blown to bits.

A nurse at San Patong district hospital located about 500m from the =
hospital
said a patient was shocked by the loud explosion and had to be admitted =
into
intensive care for treatment.

More than 100 villagers who live within 500m of the factory were =
injured,
mostly sustaining minor burns and cuts. They were taken to several =
hospitals
in this and neighbouring Lampang province for treatment.

Chiang Mai governor Prawit Srisophon said he suspected the explosion was
caused by potassium chlorate illegally stored in the factory. The =
Taiwanese
owner, identified as Lee Font-tien, was in police custody for =
interrogation,
he added.

The governor also expressed concern that there were several lamyai fruit
processing factories in the province which may be storing the chemical,
which is used as fertiliser.

Police suspected that several tons of potassium chlorate were stored in =
the
ill-fated factory.

Police said that shortly before the explosion, Mr Lee had left the =
factory
in his car and thereby narrowly escaped death. Mr Lee told police the
chemicals were meant to be sold to lamyai growers as fertiliser.

Police Lt-Gen Aram Janpen told reporters the explosion may have been =
caused
by a spark igniting stocks of potassium chlorate.

"It is still unclear whether the explosion was an accident or was caused =
by
a careless employee," he said.

Police also suspect the explosion was triggered by a build-up of gas =
used to
power the factory.

SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST - Monday, September 20, 1999

RUSSIA

Troops put block on Chechnya

AGENCIES in Moscow

Tens of thousands of Russian troops massed on the borders of breakaway
Chechnya yesterday to isolate Islamic rebels who have attacked =
neighbouring
Dagestan.
Overnight, warplanes and artillery continued to pound Chechen villages =
along
the Dagestani border, the Chechen Interior Ministry said.

Russian military officials claimed the strikes had foiled a fresh
cross-border incursion and wiped out four rebel camps, killing 140
insurgents.

Islamic extremists from the area are suspected of being behind bomb =
attacks
that have killed 292 people in Russia since August 31. Thousands mourned
victims of the latest blast yesterday.

A senior Chechen official offered to hand over suspects wanted for the
bombings if Moscow could provide enough proof of their identity.

e-mailing us.

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01BF034F.27D910E0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>SHAN HERALD AGENCY FOR NEWS<BR><BR>SHAN =
-=20
EU<BR><BR>SEPTEMBER 20, 1999<BR><BR>HEADLINES :<BR><BR>1. Is Asean an =
entity=20
worth keeping?<BR>2. A global need for consensus<BR>3. UN must learn =
from=20
mistakes<BR>4. 2,500 in first wave of troops to land<BR>5. The Timor =
test<BR>6.=20
Factory explosion kills 28<BR>7. Troops put block on=20
Chechnya<BR><BR>********************************************************<=
BR>BANGKOK=20
POST - September 20, 1999<BR><BR>Postbag<BR><BR>Is Asean an entity worth =

keeping?<BR><BR>At first we believed that the militias were solely to =
blame for=20
the East<BR>Timor tragedy. Then we found out that they were the puppets =
of=20
the<BR>Indonesian military. And finally we heard with a shock that the =
military=20
was<BR>a puppet for some big generals in the government.<BR><BR>At the =
same=20
time, we were deeply dissatisfied with the unnecessary<BR>reservations =
of a=20
fellow Asean member which contributed to the slow action<BR>in saving =
the East=20
Timorese.<BR><BR>We Asean members did nothing. We said nothing. We =
waited until=20
the<BR>international community urged us to do something. Our inaction=20
perpetuated<BR>the tragedy many more days. So serious consideration is =
needed:=20
Is Asean<BR>necessary?<BR><BR>It is well known Asean was founded to =
support=20
political and economic<BR>co-operation between countries of the region. =
But,=20
politically, the main<BR>objective faded as China became less =
threatening and=20
quasi-capitalist.<BR>Economically, it achieved little while occasionally =

visitors to<BR>meetings-namely bigshots from the member nations-wore the =

costumes of the<BR>host country and danced with local =
beauties.<BR><BR>Moreover,=20
the subsequent participation of dictatorial Burma and =
communist<BR>Vietnam=20
greatly eroded its credibility in the eyes of the=20
international<BR>community.<BR><BR>Finally, the East Timor tragedy has=20
highlighted its inefficiency and<BR>inaction. Asean did nothing in =
contrast with=20
other UN member nations.<BR><BR>The Asian value of non-interference in =
and=20
excessive modesty before other<BR>member nations was the cause of the =
delayed=20
action in East Timor.<BR><BR>Given its negative role in this tragedy, =
the=20
necessity of continuing with<BR>Asean must be most seriously=20
questioned.<BR><BR>Somchai=20
Mahakiju<BR><BR>********************************************************<=
BR>SOUTH=20
CHINA MORNING POST - Published on Sunday, September 19, 1999<BR><BR>A =
global=20
need for consensus<BR><BR>Timely intervention: United Nations =
Secretary-General=20
Kofi Annan<BR><BR>KOFI ANNAN<BR><BR>The tragedy of East Timor, coming so =
soon=20
after that of Kosovo, has focused<BR>attention once again on the need =
for timely=20
intervention by the<BR>international community when death and suffering =
are=20
being inflicted on<BR>large numbers of people, and when the state =
nominally in=20
charge is unable or<BR>unwilling to stop it.<BR>In Kosovo a group of =
states=20
intervened without seeking authority from the<BR>United Nations Security =

Council. In East Timor the council has now<BR>authorised intervention, =
but only=20
after obtaining an invitation from<BR>Indonesia. We all hope this will =
rapidly=20
stabilise the situation, but many<BR>hundreds, probably thousands, of =
innocent=20
people have already perished. As<BR>in Rwanda five years ago, the =
international=20
community stands accused of<BR>doing too little, too =
late.<BR><BR>Neither of=20
these precedents is satisfactory as a model for the new<BR>millennium. =
Just as=20
we have learned that the world cannot stand aside when<BR>gross and =
systematic=20
violations of human rights are taking place, we have<BR>also learned =
that, if it=20
is to enjoy the sustained support of the world's<BR>peoples, =
intervention must=20
be based on legitimate and universal principles.<BR>We need to better =
adapt our=20
international system to a world with new actors,<BR>new =
responsibilities, and=20
new possibilities for peace and progress.<BR><BR>State sovereignty, in =
its most=20
basic sense, is being redefined - not least<BR>by the forces of =
globalisation=20
and international co-operation. States are<BR>now widely understood to =
be=20
instruments at the service of their peoples, and<BR>not vice =
versa.<BR><BR>At=20
the same time, individual sovereignty - by which I mean the=20
fundamental<BR>freedom of each individual, enshrined in the charter of =
the UN=20
and<BR>subsequent international treaties - has been enhanced by a =
renewed=20
and<BR>spreading consciousness of individual rights. When we read the=20
charter<BR>today, we are more than ever conscious that its aim is to =
protect=20
individual<BR>human beings, not to protect those who abuse =
them.<BR><BR>These=20
changes in the world do not make hard political choices any =
easier.<BR>But they=20
do oblige us to think anew about such questions as how the =
UN<BR>responds to=20
humanitarian crises, and why states are willing to take action<BR>in =
some areas=20
of conflict, but not in others where the daily toll of death<BR>and =
suffering is=20
as bad or worse.<BR><BR>I believe it is essential that the international =

community reaches<BR>consensus - not only on the principle that massive =
and=20
systematic violations<BR>of human rights must be checked, wherever they =
take=20
place, but also on ways<BR>of deciding what action is necessary, and =
when, and=20
by whom.<BR><BR>First, "intervention" should not be understood as =
referring only=20
to the use<BR>of force. A tragic irony of many of the crises that go =
unnoticed=20
or<BR>unchallenged in the world today is that they can be dealt with by =
far=20
less<BR>perilous acts of intervention than the one seen this year in =
Yugoslavia.=20
And<BR>yet the commitment of the world to peace-keeping, to=20
humanitarian<BR>assistance, to rehabilitation and reconstruction varies =
greatly=20
from region<BR>to region, and from crisis to crisis.<BR><BR>If the new=20
commitment to humanitarian action is to retain the support of =
the<BR>world's=20
peoples, it must be - and must be seen to be - =
universal,<BR>irrespective of=20
region or nation. Humanity, after all, is indivisible.<BR><BR>Second, it =
is=20
clear that traditional notions of sovereignty alone are not<BR>the only =
obstacle=20
to effective action in humanitarian crises. No less<BR>significant are =
the ways=20
in which states define their national interests.<BR>The world has =
changed in=20
profound ways since the end of the Cold War, but I<BR>fear our =
conceptions of=20
national interest have failed to follow suit. A new,<BR>broader =
definition of=20
national interest is needed in the new century, which<BR>would induce =
states to=20
find greater unity in the pursuit of common goals =
and<BR>values.<BR><BR>THIRD,=20
in cases where forceful intervention does become necessary, =
the<BR>Security=20
Council - the body charged with authorising the use of force=20
under<BR>international law - must be able to rise to the challenge. The =
choice=20
must<BR>not be between council unity and inaction in the face of =
genocide - as=20
in<BR>the case of Rwanda - and council division, but regional action, as =
in=20
the<BR>case of Kosovo. In both cases, the UN should have been able to =
find=20
common<BR>ground in upholding the principles of the charter, and acting =
in=20
defence of<BR>our common humanity.<BR><BR>Fourth, when fighting stops, =
the=20
international commitment to peace must be<BR>just as strong as was the=20
commitment to war. In this situation, too,<BR>consistency is=20
essential.<BR><BR>Just as our commitment to humanitarian action must be=20
universal if it is to<BR>be legitimate, so our commitment to peace =
cannot end as=20
soon as there is a<BR>cease-fire. The aftermath of war requires no less =
skill,=20
no less sacrifice,<BR>no fewer resources than the war itself, if lasting =
peace=20
is to be secured.<BR><BR>Kofi Annan is United Nations=20
Secretary-General.<BR><BR>***********************************************=
**********<BR>SOUTH=20
CHINA MORNING POST - Monday, September 20, 1999<BR><BR>LETTER<BR><BR>UN =
must=20
learn from mistakes<BR><BR>During the last month, we have witnessed the=20
atrocities caused by the<BR>militias in East Timor.<BR>It can be argued =
that the=20
UN is somewhat to blame as many voters and priests<BR>were assured =
protection on=20
a long-term basis by the UN.<BR><BR>If the UN ever sponsors an election =
for the=20
independence of a country again<BR>it is important that it learns from =
its=20
mistakes.<BR><BR>First and foremost, it must ensure the safety of all =
its staff=20
involved.<BR>East Timor has been in a state of unrest since at least =
February.=20
Sending in<BR>volunteers under such a violent climate should never be=20
repeated.<BR><BR>The UN needs to be more careful who it chooses to =
protect the=20
people that<BR>vote.<BR><BR>The UN proceeded with the trust of the =
Indonesian=20
Government which had just<BR>changed hands leaving an unstable political =

climate.<BR><BR>East Timor was a giant mistake and the UN needs to learn =
from=20
it.<BR><BR>GLYNN STEPHEN<BR>Victoria,=20
Newfoundland<BR>Canada<BR><BR>*******************************************=
***********<BR>SOUTH=20
CHINA MORNING POST - Monday, September 20, 1999<BR><BR>EAST =
TIMOR<BR><BR>2,500=20
in first wave of troops to land<BR><BR>AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE in Dili and =
Darwin,=20
Australia<BR><BR>Up to 2,500 soldiers from a multinational force for =
East Timor=20
will arrive<BR>in Dili by air early today, the head of the Indonesian =
martial=20
law command<BR>in East Timor said yesterday.<BR>Major-General Kiki =
Syahnakri=20
said force commander Major-General Peter<BR>Cosgrove, the leader of the=20
International Force for East Timor (Interfet)<BR>would land at Dili's =
Comoro=20
airport about 4.5 hours after the first arrivals<BR>in the=20
capital.<BR><BR>General Syahnakri said he had been told by the =
Australian=20
military attache<BR>in Jakarta that six Hercules transport aircraft =
would make=20
37 flights from<BR>Australia.<BR><BR>He expected up to 2,500 personnel =
to be=20
transported on those flights.<BR><BR>In addition, 10 Blackhawk =
helicopters would=20
fly in while logistic and heavy<BR>equipment, including armoured =
personnel=20
carriers, would arrive on several<BR>warships that left on=20
Saturday.<BR><BR>General Syahnakri said some of the troops would be sent =
to East=20
Timor's<BR>second city, Baucau, 115km east of Dili.<BR><BR>"There will =
as yet be=20
no deployment to the regions, but they will be<BR>transported to two =
points,=20
because if they all stay in Dili, it would be too<BR>cramped," he=20
said.<BR><BR>However, he said Interfet had not yet informed the =
Indonesian=20
military how<BR>many troops would be sent to Baucau and =
when.<BR><BR>Australian=20
officials said the initial landing force would secure the<BR>airfield =
perimeter.=20
Dili's port would also need to be made safe for the<BR>landing of light =
armoured=20
vehicles, trucks and supplies aboard the ships.<BR><BR>British Gurkhas =
were=20
likely to be some of the first to set foot in East<BR>Timor, General =
Cosgrove=20
said.<BR><BR>He said 3,200 peacekeeping troops would be on the ground =
within=20
seven days.<BR><BR>French and Italian contingents arrived in Australia =
yesterday=20
to join<BR>Portuguese, Thai and Philippine troops.<BR><BR>A party of US =
Marines=20
based in Okinawa is also in the country. Up to 200<BR>American troops =
will=20
provide logistics, communications and=20
intelligence.<BR><BR>****************************************************=
***<BR>SOUTH=20
CHINA MORNING POST - Monday, September 20, =
1999<BR><BR>EDITORIAL<BR><BR>The=20
Timor test<BR><BR>Today will see the start of yet another test of =
Indonesia's=20
political<BR>reliability when the first United Nations-endorsed =
peacekeepers=20
land in East<BR>Timor to restore and maintain order. If Jakarta performs =
as=20
disgracefully as<BR>it has in the past, grim times lie ahead.<BR>That UN =
troops=20
are being sent stems entirely from the decision of<BR>Indonesia's =
generals to=20
make murder, rape and pillaging their =
official<BR>policies.<BR><BR>Rather than=20
leave the territory and let residents of East Timor have =
the<BR>independence=20
they chose, and which Jakarta promised to deliver, an angry<BR>army did =
its best=20
to destroy that which it could not keep. An ineffectual<BR>civilian =
leadership=20
could not or would not reverse this course.<BR><BR>Only after reluctant=20
outsiders threatened reprisals, such as blocking<BR>desperately needed =
loans,=20
did Jakarta finally agree to let in peacekeepers.<BR>Even then, =
militiamen and=20
Indonesian soldiers continued to murder as many<BR>pro-independence =
leaders as=20
possible, while destroying what little modern<BR>infrastructure East =
Timor=20
had.<BR><BR>How well the army co-operates with peacekeepers will test =
anew its=20
political<BR>credibility. Initial reports from Dili, the East Timor =
capital=20
where UN<BR>representatives met Jakarta commanders yesterday, were=20
promising.<BR><BR>At the same time, however, militia leaders said they =
would=20
fight to control<BR>a section of East Timor for those who voted against=20
independence - a demand<BR>which has no legal basis.<BR><BR>If the army =
lets its=20
militia puppets fight the UN forces, then Jakarta<BR>should pay a heavy =
price.=20
International agencies should halt all aid, and<BR>other countries =
should bring=20
maximum pressure on Indonesia to act like the<BR>responsible nation it =
so often=20
claims to be.<BR><BR>East Timor deserves the peace and freedom for which =
its=20
people have suffered<BR>so=20
much.<BR><BR>************************************************************=
<BR>BANGKOK=20
POST - September 20, 1999<BR><BR>DISASTER / LAMYAI PROCESSING PLANT=20
DESTROYED<BR><BR>Factory explosion kills 28<BR>Houses demolished in =
impact of=20
blast<BR><BR>Subin Khernkaew and omsak Sooksai<BR>Chiang Mai<BR><BR>At =
least 28=20
people were killed and 20 others still unaccounted for after =
a<BR>powerful=20
explosion destroyed a Taiwanese-owned lamyai processing plant in<BR>San =
Patong=20
district.<BR><BR>The blast also injured dozens of people and caused =
damage to a=20
hospital, a<BR>school, a temple and about 100 houses within a 1km radius =
of the=20
factory.<BR><BR>At least three houses were completely demolished by the =
impact=20
of the<BR>explosion, which was suspected to have been caused by =
potassium=20
chlorate<BR>illegally stored in the factory.<BR><BR>Police said there =
were about=20
50 workers at the Thai Kaset Pattana lamyai<BR>processing factory when =
the=20
explosion took place.<BR><BR>Rescue workers who combed through the ruins =
of the=20
factory building found 10<BR>charred bodies and several human =
limbs.<BR><BR>The=20
blast dug up a big hole about three metres deep, five metres wide and=20
20<BR>metres long.<BR><BR>Vegetation in a forest clearing around the =
factory was=20
burning as rescuers<BR>sifted through the wreckage for victims. Several =
cars=20
were gutted.<BR><BR>An injured witness, Mr Somboon, who lived about 500m =
from=20
the factory, said<BR>he was watching a boxing match between WBC =
welterweight=20
champion Oscar de la<BR>Hoya and IBF champion Felix Trinidad when he =
suddenly=20
heard a thunderous<BR>explosion and his television set screen =
burst.<BR><BR>"The=20
explosion was so deafening, it was as if the sky had collapsed. Then =
a<BR>strong=20
gust of wind blew into the living room through the shattered =
glass<BR>windows"=20
injuring him, he said. A dog huddling by the door was blown away =
by<BR>the force=20
of the blast and died.<BR><BR>Mr Somboon said he was rushed to the =
district=20
hospital by his neighbours who<BR>escaped unharmed.<BR><BR>Another =
witness=20
recalled he was driving in his jeep and happened to pass by<BR>the =
factory at=20
the time. He said he felt as if his car had been hit<BR>violently from =
the rear=20
and the windows and windshield shattered.<BR><BR>"The car engine went =
dead and=20
it slid forward," said the man, adding that he<BR>felt chest pains and =
could not=20
move although he still was conscious when<BR>someone opened the door of =
his car=20
and took him to hospital.<BR><BR>Buakam Boonma of Ban Dong village in =
Tambon=20
Makham Luang, said 18 of those<BR>who died were from her village, among =
them her=20
own son, 22-year-old Aew, and<BR>a nephew, Prathuang =
Jampacha.<BR><BR>Mrs Buakam=20
said the two, who were employees of the factory, had gone to =
work<BR>overtime=20
yesterday. She went to the hospital yesterday to claim their =
bodies<BR>but could=20
not because they had been blown to bits.<BR><BR>A nurse at San Patong =
district=20
hospital located about 500m from the hospital<BR>said a patient was =
shocked by=20
the loud explosion and had to be admitted into<BR>intensive care for=20
treatment.<BR><BR>More than 100 villagers who live within 500m of the =
factory=20
were injured,<BR>mostly sustaining minor burns and cuts. They were taken =
to=20
several hospitals<BR>in this and neighbouring Lampang province for=20
treatment.<BR><BR>Chiang Mai governor Prawit Srisophon said he suspected =
the=20
explosion was<BR>caused by potassium chlorate illegally stored in the =
factory.=20
The Taiwanese<BR>owner, identified as Lee Font-tien, was in police =
custody for=20
interrogation,<BR>he added.<BR><BR>The governor also expressed concern =
that=20
there were several lamyai fruit<BR>processing factories in the province =
which=20
may be storing the chemical,<BR>which is used as =
fertiliser.<BR><BR>Police=20
suspected that several tons of potassium chlorate were stored in=20
the<BR>ill-fated factory.<BR><BR>Police said that shortly before the =
explosion,=20
Mr Lee had left the factory<BR>in his car and thereby narrowly escaped =
death. Mr=20
Lee told police the<BR>chemicals were meant to be sold to lamyai growers =
as=20
fertiliser.<BR><BR>Police Lt-Gen Aram Janpen told reporters the =
explosion may=20
have been caused<BR>by a spark igniting stocks of potassium =
chlorate.<BR><BR>"It=20
is still unclear whether the explosion was an accident or was caused =
by<BR>a=20
careless employee," he said.<BR><BR>Police also suspect the explosion =
was=20
triggered by a build-up of gas used to<BR>power the=20
factory.<BR><BR>*********************************************************=
*<BR>SOUTH=20
CHINA MORNING POST - Monday, September 20, =
1999<BR><BR>RUSSIA<BR><BR>Troops put=20
block on Chechnya<BR><BR>AGENCIES in Moscow<BR><BR>Tens of thousands of =
Russian=20
troops massed on the borders of breakaway<BR>Chechnya yesterday to =
isolate=20
Islamic rebels who have attacked neighbouring<BR>Dagestan.<BR>Overnight, =

warplanes and artillery continued to pound Chechen villages along<BR>the =

Dagestani border, the Chechen Interior Ministry said.<BR><BR>Russian =
military=20
officials claimed the strikes had foiled a fresh<BR>cross-border =
incursion and=20
wiped out four rebel camps, killing 140<BR>insurgents.<BR><BR>Islamic =
extremists=20
from the area are suspected of being behind bomb attacks<BR>that have =
killed 292=20
people in Russia since August 31. Thousands mourned<BR>victims of the =
latest=20
blast yesterday.<BR><BR>A senior Chechen official offered to hand over =
suspects=20
wanted for the<BR>bombings if Moscow could provide enough proof of their =

*****<BR>Dear=20
Compatriots: If you don't want to receive this cost free news =
gathered<BR>from=20
various sources, please write "unsubscribe" and e-mail to<BR>"<A=20
href=3D'mailto:m.win@xxxxxxxxxx";'>m.win@xxxxxxxxxx"</A>. Likewise, you =
can also=20
"subscribe" by<BR>e-mailing=20
us.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01BF034F.27D910E0--