From MIZZIMA News Group (r)

We don?t deport Burmese democracy activists, said Mizoram Chief Minister

July 24, 1999
By Our Staff Reporter (Aizawl, Mizoram State)

In an interview with MIZZIMA, Mr. Zoramthanga, Chief Minister of Mizoram
said yesterday that Mizoram Government is not pushing back any Burmese
pro-democracy activist to Burma. ?We welcome them?..We are not pushing
those Burmese democracy activists at all. The people we pushed (back)
are smugglers?, responded Mr. Zoramthanga when asked on a reported
statement of Mizoram Home Minster on the deportation of Burmese from
Mizoram. According to a PTI report, Mr. Tawnluia, Home Minister of
Mizoram had told the State Assembly on July 20 that Mizoram government
deported 448 Burmese nationals between December 1998 and June 1999.

About a hundred of Burmese pro-democracy activists have been taking
shelter in Mizoram State of India since 1988 military coup in Burma.
Moreover, there are estimated 5,000 Burmese immigrants working as
handloom waivers, taxi drivers and maids in Aizawl, capital of Mizoram.
?When the police saw them (Burmese), they took them to Champhai border
and left them at the border river bank. But the Burmese came back (to
Aizawl) the next day?, said Mr. Zoramthanga as it is a usual work of the
Mizoram police.

Expressing the worry of the State Government on the situation of
infiltrators from Bangladesh, the Chief minister, however said, ?We are
really worried about (the people from) Bangladesh. We don?t care much
about the Burma side because they are our blood brothers and sisters.
But we don?t welcome Chakmas from Bangladesh?.

Seventy five percent of Mizoram is international border with Burma and
Bangladesh. Mizoram government has recently started identifying foreign
settlers in the state. It has also approached the Indian central
government to provide one battalion of Prevention of Infiltration Force
(IPF) to counter the ?infiltrators?. The central government has provided
only one battalion of Indian Reserve Police for the Mizoram State.

The Chief Minister, moreover, urged the Chin National Front (CNF) to
leave arms and live like other civilians in the cities. ?I told them
that you can live without your arms. You will be tolerated. But when you
wear uniforms and hold arms, that is illegal. This cannot be tolerated
from law and order point of view?, said the Chief Minister. Recently,
the (Indian) Assam Rifles had attacked CNF mobile camps situated inside

Mizoram State. Chin National Front (CNF) is one of the armed groups,
which is still fighting against the military regime in Burma.

Regarding the opening of border trade between Mizoram State and Burma,
the Chief Minister said that there is no new development though the
trade has been more or less going on in a smuggling form. The Government
of India is currently building infrastructure in the Mizoram border for
opening the trade between Champhai of Mizoram State and Burma. ?I think
it (trade) will start after one year?, said Mr. Zoramthanga.

By MIZZIMA News Group