U SHWE OHN - AGAIN

Once more, as promised halfheartedly, I have my pen to write another
commentary on U Shwe Ohn's paper which I have yet to give full justice that
it so richly deserves.

U Shwe Ohn, in his own introduction, puts it this way. "This is not a snow
job. It is written in the offstage perspective (in contrast to an on-stage
perspective) that of a smaller nationality", "I believe one has the
responsibility to present one's beliefs sincerely and unequivocally. If
not, then one shall become a criminal in history".

Even so, he reserves some praise for the late strongman, Saw Maung, who, on
5 July 1989, said: "Who am I to write the constitution? I'm not the
people's representative. Why should I write one? You want me to become a
criminal? Don't do that, please". Later, after the elections were over, he
said: We shall not tell (the People's Assembly) to write this and to write
that. It is for all of us to come to terms with each other".

However he was recklessly critical with the junta as a whole. "The Tatmadaw
(Armed Forces) didn't understand then what federalism was, and considering
the articles written by Mya Win (a ghost writer for the junta who wrote a
series of essays under the title "The Tatmadaw's National Political
Traditions" which appeared in the daily "New light of Myanmar" and later in
a booklet form), it is still for from getting a grasp of the idea and
merely spends time living a one-sided view". No wonder he went to jail for
this unpardonable offense---criticism of the inviolable Tatmadaw!

He also has high praise for Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi's great father, who said,
on 16 June 1947: "Not only the latter of the (Panglong) agreement but also
its spirit shall be observed by us. It is learned that some nationality
leaders feel fear whether we shall deviate from our spirit of agreement.
Allow me to inform you that you are insulting our sense of honor and sense
of pride".

U Shwe Ohn also says: "The sky won't fall, but if it does? Say if there
weren't a Bogyoke Aung San (on the Burmese side) and the Shan People's
Freedom League (on the Shan side), it is hard to imagine the Union of Burma
would have emerged at all". So what instead would have happened? His answer
is: "The Federated Malay States continued to stay under British rule and
became free in 1963. It would have been the same for the non-Burman states".

Anyway, what he is fighting for, much to the regret of some Shans who are
demanding Independence, is for the establishment of a lasting new Union of
Burma.

I guess that's enough advertising. I wouldn't know what to say anything
more anyway. And anyhow, some of the readers must be sufficiently convinced
by now to buy the book.

Apprentice Reviewer

S.H.A.N.

// END //.