TELEFAX MESSAGE

To:		Senior General Than Shwe	Havnegade	55
		Prime Minister

Att.of: 	Burma					DK-1058 Copenhagen K
Subject:	Detention of  Union leader	Phone: +453345 5565
>From:		Vice President Peter Funch	Fax:   +453345 5566
Fax no:	+951 22950			E-mail: navigatior@dana. dk
							Homepage: www.dana.dk/

Date: 23. July 1998 				TIME: 15:56

Number of pages 1  (which includes this page)

Comments:

Dear Prime Minister,

Danish Navigators' Union notes with extreme concern that the military junta
of Burma has been detaining U Khin Kyaw of the Seafarers' Union of Burma
merely for his involvement in trade union activities and that he is being
detained without being sentenced.

We have been told that he has also been tortures while imprisoned in Burma.

On behalf of our 5,000 members we strongly protest against the ongoing
oppression in Burma and the continuing detention of trade union activists.
Together with Amnesty International we call for the unconditional release
of U Khin Kyaw and their families as well of all other trade union or
pro-democracy activists currently detained in Burma.

We also call upon the SPDC regime to desist from its continued detention,
harassment and imprisonment of trade unionists among other human rights
activists.

We share the opinion that economic and social stability in Burma will be
established only through respect for human rights.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Funch
Vice President