The BurmaNet News - 19 January, 199

------------------------- BurmaNet ------------------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: January 19, 1998
Issue #915

Noted in passing:

"Are we to continue -living in a dark age without democracy?  We should not
bring anguish, discord and suffering to the 21st century." - Burmese war
veteran former Brig Gen Kyaw Zaw, aged 78.
(see THE NATION: FORMER COMRADES APPEAL TO NE WIN)

HEADLINES:
==========
AFP:UN ENVOY DUE IN  BURMA FROM TUESDAY
AFP: MP RESIGNATIONS FORCED BY JUNTA, OPPOSITION SAY
BKK POST: CONCERN OVER KAREN REFUGEE REPATRIATION
SCMP: JUNTA CALLS FOR WAR ON FOREIGN PROPAGANDA
THE NATION: FORMER COMRADES APPEAL TO NE WIN
THE NATION: THAILAND TO DEPORT 300,000 ILLEGALS
AP: THAIS HOPING REGIONAL BLOC CAN CONVINCE BURMA TO
BKK POST: TRIBAL ARMS, DRUG TRADERS UNDER WATCH
NDF: ANSWER TO BURMESE PROPAGANDA
ABSDF MEDIA RELEASE: BURMESE TROOPS LOOT THAI

AFP:UN ENVOY DUE IN  BURMA FROM TUESDAY

UNITED NATIONS, Jan 16 (AFP) - UN special envoy Alvaro de Soto is due in
Burma  on Tuesday on a three-day visit for talks with government and
opposition figures, a UN spokesman said Friday.

De Soto, a UN assistant secretary-general for East Asian affairs, will make
the visit as "part of the ongoing dialogue between the secretary general and
the government of Myanmar ( Burma) ," said spokesman Fred Eckhard.

De Soto, who visited  Burma  in May last year, is to meet with the Burmese
leadership and with opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

She is a Nobel peace prize winner and leader of the National League for
Democracy (NLD) which swept the last general elections held in  Burma  in
1990. The junta has ignored the result.

De Soto's visit was arranged by UN chief Kofi Annan who met with Burmese
military leader Than Shwe on the sidelines of an Association of Southeast
Asian Nations summit in Kuala Lumpur on December 16.

Annan said last month he hoped for progress as it is the first visit by a
UN official to  Burma  "for some time."

The country continues to bar the Geneva-based UN human rights special
rapporteur, Rajsoomer Lallah of Mauritius, who compiles his reports based
on interviews with people outside  Burma.

AFP: MP RESIGNATIONS FORCED BY JUNTA, OPPOSITION SAY

BANGKOK, Jan 17 (AFP) - The two members of Aung San Suu Kyi's National
League for Democracy (NLD) who resigned this month were forced to do so by
the country's military regime, an opposition group said Saturday.

Burmese students exiled in Bangkok said in a statement that the two MPs who
had won parliamentary seats under the NLD banner in  Burma's  1990 general
elections had been forced to resign from their posts.

The election results were never accepted by the ruling military junta.

In the case of Thein Zan, whose resignation was announced on January 7, the
students said he had resigned after heavy pressure was brought to bear on
him in prison, where he has been since his arrest last year.

"U Thein Zan was forced to sign a letter of resignation from the NLD due to
heavy pressure and constant harassment by Military Intelligence officers in
Thayet Prison," the All  Burma  Students' Democratic Front said.

The other MP, Aung Thu, whose resignation was announced Thursday, was also
forced to resign.

Both men's resignations were approved and then announced by the Multi-Party
General Election Commission set up by the military.

Some 50 elected NLD MPs have given up their posts since the polls which the
party won in a landslide victory. The junta has ignored the result and
refused to hand over power.

Aung San Suu Kyi, the Nobel Peace Prize winner has in the past said that
elected MPs and activists from her party are being forced to resign from
politics.

Some have been threatened with prison sentences, while others were told
they would have to leave their government-owned apartments, she said.

BKK POST: CONCERN OVER KAREN REFUGEE REPATRIATION
by Ralph Bachoe

MAE SOT, TAK
FATE OF REFUGEES: LEADERS OF THE KAREN NATIONAL UNION (KNU) HAVE CALLED FOR
AN INTERNATIONAL MONITORING WHEN REFUGEE REPATRIATION TAKES PLACE. BUT THE
KNU DOES NOT WANT THE REFUGEES RETURNED TO
BURMA, AT LEAST FOR THE MOMENT.

Despite recent battlefield set backs, the immediate concern of
the Karen National Union is refugees from Burma whose number has
swelled to 1.5 million since 1988.  Of those, more than 100,000
are Karens.

Once the Burmese regime was accepted into the Association of
Southeast Asian Nations in July last year, it said it was
prepared to take them back.

Gen Saw Bo Mya, president of the KNU, and Maj-Gen Saw Shwe Saing,
former commander of the 6th Brigade, also vice-president of the
KNU,   president of the National Democratic Front, and a
presidium member of the National Council of the Union of Burma,
are, however, worried.

They said they were deeply concerned about the Karen refugees and
fully understand where Thailand stands on the issue and that the
Thai economic crisis has created a major unemployment problem.

But sending back the refugees will not solve the problem because
the matter must be settled by holding a political dialogue
between the Rangoon government and the KNU, they say.  "this is a
political problem.  Sending them back is like condemning them to
the gas chambers of Nazi Germany. Also they will become a
ready-made workforce for the military regime."

What is needed, the KNU says, is international monitoring when
repatriation takes place.  "The Thai government should keep any
eye on them and make systematic arrangements with the United
Nations High Commissioner for Refugees."

They should realise this is a "genocide and ethnic cleansing"
campaign.  The question is who will be responsible should
anything happen to them.

"We trust the Thai government," the KNU leaders said.  "If they
[the Thai government and the UNHCR make a mistake on this issue,
civil war will be prolonged in Burma." They have also urged that
ASEAN and the European Union be involved.

The bottom line is the KNU does not want the refugees returned to
Burma, at least for the moment.  "We don't want the Karens to be
repatriated because they would become minesweepers and
forced to work in fields or construction sites.  They won't have
the opportunity to return to their choice of occupation but will
have to do whatever the SLORC tells them," said Gen Bo Mya.

Intelligence sources of the All Burma Students' Democratic Front
report that huge shelters are being built in preparation for the
returning refugees.  They say SLORC plans to screen these people,
take their photographs and finger-prints.

They will also call in the Democratic Karen Buddhist Organisation
to identify those associated with the KNU and the democratic
forces.

These will then be divided into three groups to work as porters,
to build roads or sent to detention centres.

U Tin Maung Win, vice-president of the Democratic Alliance of
Burma, had this to say: -"There are more than 9,000 Burmese
refugees in Maneeloy camp today compared to 1,200 just, three
weeks ago.  And because of the huge number they are now being fed
broken rice."

He attributes the sudden boost in numbers at the Ratchaburi
holding centre to bribery and corruption.  Refugees pay 500-1,000
baht to certain Thai authorities to be registered at the camp
where they linger before acceptance into third countries such as
the United States, Canada and Australia.

"Doesn't the UNHCR know what's going on? What kind of monitoring
procedure is being conducted by the UN and Thai authorities," Tin
Maung Win asked.  He also urged the Chuan Leekpai government to
look into the matter.

Commenting on the frequent closure of schools and universities
in his country the 1962 student leader expressed dismay: "I have
a heavy heart about our young people in Burma. If we just take
into account the past 10 years, not to mention the 26-year BSPP
rule, there were only 854 days of schooling out of 3,650."

He called it a great setback for the nation. Thousands of
educated Burmese have left the country in the past four decades.
He described the brain-drain as a "crime against humanity".
However, he said, the shutdown of schools and universities does
not affect the children of the military brass.  They are sent
abroad for further studies.  The higher institutes of learning in
Burma have been closed for more than one year.

Meanwhile, the KNU remains determined in its struggle for
democracy and self-determination against the Rangoon junta in
face of a 350,000-strong standing army with modern weapons from
China and some European nations.

'We cannot deny we are confronting a large army like SLORC but we
are well prepared to face them," says Maj-Gen Saw Mootu,
commander of the 6th Brigade, based opposite Tak province.

Gen Mootu says the KNU is ready for the next dry season
offensive.  "Unlike in the past, when the knew where our forces
were concentrated, we are now scattered all over the place.  We
cannot say specifically which area we control and neither can the
SLORC.  Since the KNU is waging a guerrilla -warfare we are
constantly on the move.

"At times they may be at one place during the day and we could be
at the very same location during the night,.  So where are they
going to hit us?  This is part of our preparations."

The Karen bases of Manerplaw and Kawmoora fell in SLORC
offensives in 1995 after the Karen Buddhist faction broke away
from the mainstream KNU and formed the DKBO and the DKBA
(Democratic Karen Buddhist Army).  The breakaway Karens were
instrumental in helping the Burmese military overrun the bases.

After the fall of their bases which served as border trade points
where taxes were levied, KNU income was severely affected.  In
addition, the flow of arms from Cambodia dried up after the Thai
military began a major crackdown.  They also have lost huge
caches of arms and ammunition buried on the Thai-Burmese border
after their escape into Thailand.

These setbacks, however, have not deterred the KNU from attaining
their goal of seeking greater autonomy and formation of a federal
union.

'We have full confidence even though we may be inferior in
strength and are not financially well off, because what we have
to our advantage, is the support of the entire Karen State at
grassroot level. This has given us the strength and the will to
resist the SLORC," said Gen Mootu.

Gen Mootu denied a split in the KNU rank and file but admitted
that like in any democratic organisation differences of opinion
exist, but the decision of the majority is final.

"At KNU's 11 Congress in August 1995, the consensus of the
majority was that political issues must be solved politically."

Some in the KNU are tired of waging a war of attrition since
1948.  There have been defections not only among the student
groups but also the KNU.

Recently more than 100 KNU guerrillas with their families
surrendered to Burmese troops in Thandaung District, 225km
northeast of Rangoon.

Gen Bo Mya blamed the defections on poor health, lack of true
political conviction and deception by SLORC. "Actually those
really dedicated to the cause will never surrender.  They are the
veterans who have been fighting the Rangoon government for
decades."

Guerrilla warfare has proved a success.  "We now kill more SLORC
troops a month compared to in the past. However, the group has
suffered major setbacks since their mobile camps along,, the
eastern Thai-Burmese border were overrun by SLORC soldiers late
last year.

Said Gen Bo Mya: "Although they [SLORC army] may be great in
number I don't think they can carry on for long because of the
low morale and lack of discipline among the ordinary soldiers".
Economic hardships have hit the soldiers hard.  Like ordinary
people, they too have families to support.  "So they don't want
to fight for the government anymore,"

In addition, he said SLORC can no longer afford to provide front
line troops with sufficient arms and ammunition and food rations.
"Their logistics of supplying food to the troops is so poor that
they have to plunder the villagers to survive," Gen Bo Mya said.

The 71-year-old general said the Karens are not alone in the war
of revolution. "We are now working together with other democratic
forces the students, and are optimistic we will win and establish
democracy in Burma."

SCMP: JUNTA CALLS FOR WAR ON FOREIGN PROPAGANDA
REUTERS in Rangoon

Prime Minister and chief of the ruling junta General Than Shwe has called
on millions of pro-government activists to guard Burma from false
propaganda directed against the country, state media reported yesterday.

"Neo-colonialists have been making misleading allegations and irresponsible
remarks to make the world misunderstand [Burma], and are inciting their
lackeys inside the country," he reportedly told Union Solidarity and
Development Association activists on Rangoon's outskirts on Wednesday.

The general was apparently referring to Western charges that the junta had
violated human rights and curbed the political activities of the opposition
led by Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.

Japanese journalist Fujita Satoris, chief of the Mainichi newspaper's Manila
bureau, was thrown out of Burma on Wednesday after trying to bluff his way
past strict visa controls on foreign correspondents on Tuesday, authorities
said.

THE NATION: FORMER COMRADES APPEAL TO NE WIN
by Aung Zaw

THE TIME FOR RECONCILIATION IS NOW. THAT'S THE MESSAGE ELDERLY WAR VETERANS
HAVE FOR THE BURMESE MILITARY JUNTA AND THEY URGE FORMER STRONGMAN NE WIN
TO SEEK PEACE WITH THE POLITICAL OPPOSITION, REPORTS AUNG ZAW.

War veterans who had put their lives on the line for Burma's
independence are beginning to realise that now is time for
change.  And they want their comrade-in-arms to jointly work for
national reconciliation.

Recently, Bohmu Aung, Thakin Chit, Thakin Shwe and other veteran
politicians called for the junta to start meaningful political
dialogue with the opposition, including the National League for
Democracy led by Aung San Sun Kyi.

The veterans met in Rangoon to celebrate Burma's 50th anniversary
of Independence Day.  Eighty-nine-year-old Thakin Chit told the
gathered group of politicians and war veterans that Gen Ne Win
might be able to help bring peace to the nation.

"If ex-president, retired Gen Ne Win who had done a lot in the
past were to do something, the entire country could become more
peaceful and pleasant," Reuters quoted him as saying.

However, missing from the war veterans get-together was Thakin
Shwe better known as Brig Gen Kyaw Zaw and Thakin Shu Maung -
also known as Gen Ne Win.

Seventy-eight-year-old Kyaw Zaw was a well-respected army general
and a member of the Thirty Comrades who went to Japan for
military training to fight against the British in the 1940s.  Ne
Win is, of course, Burma's undisputed former military dictator
who ruled the nation from 1962 to 1988.  Both are among the
remaining five Thirty Comrades members still alive today.

"It is time to reconcile," said a recent statement released by
Bohmu Aung.

"All parties must work together to achieve genuine national
reconciliation.  The only way to achieve national reconciliation
is unity among us."

Despite threats and intimidation from officials, Bohmu Aung, who
is now in his 80s - and also a Thirty Comrades member released
several statements calling for democratisation and national
reconciliation since last year.

Analysts in Rangoon said these veterans do not appear to have a
hidden political agenda or any political ambitions - they only
want to see their country achieve national reconciliation before
they die.

"They are too old to do anything, but they sincerely want to see
their country attain peace, unity and democracy," said one
analyst.

Interestingly, the recent statements of these veterans, both at
home and abroad, were more or less similar.

'Their statements are alike not because they have direct contact
with one another but that they feel the same way," a family
member of Kyaw Zaw said.

POLITICAL DIALOGUE

Kyaw Zaw, now living in China, called for a meaningful political
dialogue between the ruling junta - the State Peace and
Development Council (SPDC) - and Burmese opposition groups,
including the NLD.

"Soon after Burma regained independence, civil war broke out ...
our people have been suffering for decades,' said the former
general' during a recent phone-recorded interview in China.  The
former Thirty Comrade member said he could foresee the
decades-old civil war ending, but he warned that "there are
indications that it [civil war] will even escalate".

'We drove out the British and Japanese.  Our people struggled and
sacrificed to regain independence to build a new nation.
However, our hopes were dashed .when there was no unity among us
[after gaining independence].  Instead of building peace and
developing the nation, we fought and killed each other."

Kyaw Zaw said that just before independence, the country's annual
rice exports were 300,000 tonnes.

"Now, Burma, which had a grand opportunity to become one of the
most well-off countries in the world, was ruined and we became
one of the poorest countries."

The UN categorised Burma as a least developed country in 1987.

Surprisingly, veterans like Thakin Chit - the general who was a
close associate of independence hero Aung San - is appealing to
Ne Win to play an important role to achieve national
reconciliation.

Aung San, who is Suu Kyi's father, had never trusted Ne Win.  On
the other hand, Kyaw Zaw was a staunch supporter of Aung San.  A
few years ago, Kyaw Zaw wrote a number of articles critical of Ne
Win and revealing the former dictator's unsavoury past activities
and his relationship with Aung San.

However, it is doubtful that the 86year-old former dictator would
intervene in the current political deadlock.

'His influence is undeniable," said one former professor from
Rangoon University. The [current] military leaders consider him
their godfather."

But he does not think Ne Win intends to play a role in current
affairs.

IMAGE TARNISHED

Kyaw Zaw, who -was a regional commander and a respected general
and political figure in the 1940s and 50s, has appealed to the
armed forces (tatmadaw) to protect the people and to maintain its
past dignity.

'The tatmadaw founded by Aung San had played a very important
role in gaining independence from the British and Japanese, but
its image was tarnished as it has killed thousands of people.
Now the people of Burma  are disgusted with the tatmadaw," said
the general.  "Thus it is time for tatmadaw to restore its
image."

Kyaw Zaw was forced to leave the army in 1957 after being accused
of leaking information to communist rebels.  He later joined
other well-known politicians in an effort to end the on-going
civil war.

"I realised that the biggest hindrance to development and peace in
our country was the civil war."

Ironically, Kyaw Zaw, who was a member of the Communist Party of
Burma (CPB) since 19441 left for the China-Burma border in 1976,
to join the communists.  He later became a member of the CPB's
central committee and ,central military commission.  In 1989, the
CPB faced. a serious mutiny.  Subsequently, top CPB leaders,
including Kyaw Zaw, were forced to leave.  Kyaw Zaw has since
sought political asylum in China.

The former general, who led CPB troops in several battles against
Burmese troops, nevertheless said he loves peace and wants to see
Burma as a peaceful and prosperous nation.

I'm now 79, but the country is still not freed from the civil
war, internal conflicts, friction, and disunity," he said.

In his 15-minute-long recorded message released recently, he
unceasingly emphasised Burma's disputed politics, divisions,
hatred and infighting. Despite his advanced age, he said, he and
other elder politicians who are still alive could help achieve
peace in the country.

"Burma has been under military ,dictatorship for 36 years," he
said" adding Burma enjoyed democracy only for 14 under the late
prime minister U Nu.  "The question now is what are we going to
do and how are we going the 21st century?  Are we to continue
-living in a dark age without democracy?  We should not bring
anguish, discord and suffering to the 21st century," he said
emotionally.

FINAL DAYS

On the SPDC, the general asked the ruling generals to concentrate
on peace and development.

"The SPDC should try hard to carry through genuine peace and
development in Burma to match its name.  It needs to open a
political dialogue with the 1990 election winner - the NLD."

On this matter, the general asked Ne Win to assist in
facilitating and contributing to peace in the country as his
final days approached.

"My opinion is that we have to be practical and open -minded to
solve problems in Burma.  Democracy and basic human rights should
be given to the people," he said, adding that the ruling junta
should also free all political prisoners.  It is believed that at
least 1,000 political prisoners are being detained in prisons.

'Moreover, all politic parties, including those that were banned
or outlawed, should be allowed to re-establish their
organisations if they wish.  All inflexible restrictions should
also be lifted, and political parties must be allowed to organise
freely and independently."

He urged the SPDC to create an open and active political society
before holding a national convention.

This convention should include: 1, the NLD, Aung San Suu Kyi and
all political parties; 2, all above ground and underground ethnic
groups. 3, well-known political figures: 4 experts and
intellectual groups: 5, SPDC representatives."

At the convention, the former general said, all parties must be
involved in discussions which should be based on democratic
principles, equality and fairness before drawing up a new
constitution.

At the convention, the former general said, all parties must be
involved in discussions which. should be based on democratic
principles, equality and fairness before drawing up a new
constitution.

"We must not harbour grudges or ill will if we are to build up a
peaceful and developed nation in the 21st century."

Still, former dictator Ne Win who remains in his secluded
compound in Rangoon, appears unready to heed the calls from his
former comrades in arms.

THE NATION: THAILAND TO DEPORT 300,000 ILLEGALS

THAILAND will deport about 300,000 illegal immigrants - 150,000
from the industrial sector and 150,000 from the non-service
sector  within three months, Labour Minister Trairong Suwankhiri
said yesterday.

Trairong said the deportation will be carried out to prevent an
adverse impact on Thai industry.

Because illegal agricultural and fishery workers are considered
necessary to those industries the Department of Employment has
been assigned to draw up the necessary guidelines to keep them in
the country, the minister said.

National Security Council (NSC) deputy chief Kajadpai Burutpat
has" doubts about whether the home countries of illegal workers
would be willing to take them back.  "It is the job of the
Foreign Ministry to talk to neighbouring countries to receive
"their countrymen back,' he said.

'Deportation is not an easy job. From my experience, I am not
sure that the countries of the illegal immigrants would be
willing to receive them back.

Another problem is that they don't want to go home because their
economic situation back home is worse than ours.'

Trairong said the Labour Ministery would inform business
operators with illegal workforces about the deportation scheme
and provincial labour offices would also send them letters.

"The Labour Ministry, in cooperation with the Police Department
and the Army, will prepare transit shelters in four border
provinces - Chiang Rai, Tak, Kanchanaburi and Ranong - before
deporting [immigrants] to their home countries," Trairong said.

The minister was speaking after chairing a meeting of a
sub-committee set up after the NSC decided on Wednesday that
illegal immigrants, estimated to number over one million, must be
deported so that their jobs can be filled by unemployed Thais.
Only about 360,000 illegal immigrants working here have entered a
programme that allows them to work" legally on a temporary,
two-year basis.  Illegal workers come mainly from Burma,
Cambodia, Laos, India and Bangladesh, but Thailand has
undocumented workers from virtually every corner of the globe.

'Those who are allowed to work here will be given identity cards
which will be different in each province," Trairong said.
"Workers will not be allowed to work across provinces."
Companies employing unregistered immigrants and illegal workers
who have re-entered Thailand after being deported will face tough
penalties.

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Chetta Thanajaro gave the Army's full
support to the scheme.  "There are two million illegal immigrants
working in Thailand." Chetta said.  'It is urgent that they be
deported because they could pose short-and long-term problems for
us, particularly where security is concerned.

"Deport first and discuss later.'Deportation is not an easy job,
we could be criticised of not being aware of human rights."

Kajadpai brought up the difficulty' of repatriating members of.
Burmese, minority groups who flee across the border to escape
inland fighting.  "In those cases the Burmese government rejects
them.  So, I don't think that the neighbouring countries from
which the illegal immigrants come will agree to welcome their
people," he said.

Despite government crackdowns on illegal immigrants' more seem to
be headed for Thailand.

"Only two years ago it was estimated that about 700,000 illegal
immigrants were working in Thailand, but the latest official
report of the Labour Ministry states that the number has reached
nearly one million," the NSC official said.

At Wednesday's NSC meeting, Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai made it
clear that he wanted the Interior Ministry to take immediate
action to block the flow of illegal immigrants into the country,
Kajadpai said.

Meanwhile, according to a study conducted by the Thailand
Development Research Institute and the National Economic and
Social Development Board, most of the Burmese working in Thailand
sneak across the border with the aid of Thai and Burmese brokers.
The study found that about 46 per cent of brokers who smuggled in
Burmese were Thai and about 34 per cent were Burmese. About 26
per cent of the smugglers were border patrol police, Army
officers or immigration police, the report said.

AP: THAIS HOPING REGIONAL BLOC CAN CONVINCE BURMA TO STOP DRUG FLOW

BANGKOK, Thailand: A senior Thai narcotics official said Thursday he hopes
to see more cooperation from the Burmese government in suppressing
drug-trafficking, now that it has been admitted to Southeast Asia's
regional bloc.

Burma  was welcomed as a member by the Association of Southeast Asian
Nations, or ASEAN, last July despite objections from Western countries.

 Western nations accused the Burmese military government of abusing human
rights, suppressing the country's democracy movement and failing to stop
the massive amount of drugs flowing from its borders.

Banphot Piamdi, director of the Northern Region Narcotics Suppression
Center, said ASEAN can provide a forum for Thailand and  Burma,  as well as
other countries in the region, to address the problem of drug-trafficking.

''There is so much one can do on the ground level. But the ASEAN forum can
definitely be the place to bring the issue up,'' Banphot said.

ASEAN consists of Brunei,  Burma,  Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, the
Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.

Thai officials are hoping regional pressure may be more successful than
bilateral attempts at gaining more cooperation from the Burmese in tackling
the drug problem.

Last week, Siam Rath, a Thai-language daily newspaper, quoted Thai
narcotics officials as saying the Burmese were trying to avoid talking
about the narcotics problem and not giving their full cooperation in
anti-drug operations.

After Afghanistan,  Burma  is the world's largest producer of opium the raw
material for heroin and a major regional producer of amphetamines.

Most of the opium and heroin exiting  Burma  for the West passes through
China's Yunnan province, which now has more than half a million addicts.

Most amphetamines are smuggled into Thailand, where abuse has become such a
serious social problem that two years ago laws were amended to make the
punishments for amphetamine traffickers as severe as those for heroin dealers.

Thailand and  Burma  share a 2,100-kilometer (1,300-mile) border, and
relations between the two government have always had an undercurrent of
tension.

In order to establish a buffer zone between the Thai and Burmese armies,
for decades Thailand supported a slew of ethnic insurgent groups, some of
whom trafficked in drugs as a means of funding their fight against the
government in Rangoon.

In exchange for more legal trade and investment opportunities in  Burma,
The Thais have officially withdrawn their support for the insurgents over
the past decade.

But the Burmese have repeatedly complained that Thailand still allows the
insurgents to buy weapons in Thailand and launch cross-border attacks from
Thai soil.

The Burmese army has staged numerous cross-border attacks on what it says
are guerrilla bases. But frequently what have been raided and burned down,
have been refugee camps.

More than 100,000 refugees from  Burma  are living in camps in Thailand,
having fled abuse and offensives of the Burmese army.

BKK POST: TRIBAL ARMS, DRUG TRADERS UNDER WATCH
Somsak Suksai
Lam pang

Provincial authorities are keeping a close eye on hilltribe people selling
weapons and drugs in order to cope with the recession.

They have been warned to watch out for agents in Serm Ngam and Chae Hom
districts.

Their respective district chiefs, Sanong Srinual and Niwit Aroonrat, were
told in a recent meeting with Governor Chalermpol Prateepwanich to pay
particular attention to Ban Mae Laing Pattana in Serm Ngam and Ban Plang
Chai in Chae Hom.

National Security Council reports say Karen and H'mong tribespeople were
dealing in arms coming from Chiang Dao district in Chiang Mai and Thoeng
district in Chiang Rai.

They were being sold by members of Lao resistance movement groups which
have ceased operations. Lowland financiers were reported to be behind the
trade in weapons mostly heading for anti-Rangoon minority groups operating
along the Thai-Burmese border.

NDF: ANSWER TO BURMESE PROPAGANDA

The news release by the Embassy of Burma in Washington D.C (dated September
5,1997) and the recent address by Lt.General Khin Nyunt, Secretary 1 of
SPDC,to a special meeting of the Central Committee for Drug Abuse Control
held on December 3 1997, pleaded for the western nations to recognize the
"impressive gains" made by their country in reducing opium production and
trafficking. They feel that they are unjustly criticized and black-listed.
They want respectability in the international community.

To support their claim, they cite the removal of Khun Sa and his army from
active opium growing and marketing. In fact, Khun Sa "retired" under the
protection of the Burmese junta where he can now use his vast wealth to
engage in "legitimate" business including money laundering. His army was
left to fend for itself or starve. Opium is grown just the same.

The Burmese Embassy put out a chart showing how much opium and its
derivatives, even including cough syrup, was seized by the military regime
over the last seven years. These figures are meant to impress. In reality,
the destruction of huge piles of heroin are commonly known to "be the best
show around" with foreign dignitaries and drug enforcers attending to watch
the bonfire that burns a little heroin on top and lots of detergent
underneath. Even if the figures presented could be trusted, the point is
that despite governmental destruction efforts opium production has
increased. It has doubled since the present regime took over in 1988.

Lt. General Khin Nyunt calls for efforts to cooperate with international
non-governmental organizations to implement crop substitution and
development programs. The truth is, that for years such organizations and
the United Nations have tried to have crop substitution programs in Shan
and Kachin States. They have either not been allowed in, or if allowed in,
they have been stymied at every turn by governmental delays, permits, and
all the bureaucratic tactics and private corruption that have made them
ineffective.

The military regime points to its development programs. The people of Shan
and Kachin states have seen largely promises, not development. The kind of
"development" that has taken place is that the minority inhabitants have
been forcibly moved out and Burmans loyal to the government have been moved
in to take over the land.

But all of this begs the question. All this evades the real issue. The
narcotics business thrives in Shan State because of the bitterly repressive
government in Rangoon. People, who would rather grow something they can
eat, grow opium, because it can be turned into guns and armies to protect
themselves. The minorities can not trust any document signed nor any
agreement made by the government. They have learned by desperately hard
experience that the only assurance they have is to be organized and armed.
They will grow opium to finance resistance to the overbearing, brutal,
grasping government. When the need for that resistance is gone, then crop
substitution and development can take place in earnest.

B.Kyar Oo
General Secretary
Narcotics Eradication Organization
National Democratic Front (NDF)

ABSDF MEDIA RELEASE: BURMESE TROOPS LOOT THAI VILLAGE

At about 8am on January 9, 1998, soldiers from Burmese Army
Infantry Regiment 19, based in Papun south-east of Rangoon, looted
a village market on the Salween River on the Thai side of the
Thai-Burma border.

An eyewitness told the ABSDF that about 50 Burmese soldiers crossed
the river on four large barges and moved towards Mae Sam Laeb
village and a Thai army camp, located near the junction of the Moei
and Salween Rivers.

Upon seeing the approaching Burmese soldiers, the Thai soldiers
retreated from their station as they feared an armed clash with the
Burmese army would lead to a loss of life among the villagers and
would reduce the market place to ashes. The villagers also fled the
scene.

The Burmese soldiers took the opportunity to loot the entire
market, and returned to the Burmese side about two hours later.

According to the eyewitness, the looting was in retaliation for an
incident that happened earlier that morning involving the commander
of Infantry Regiment 19, Lieutenant-Colonel Thet Htoo, and four
other Burmese soldiers.

The colonel and his men arrived at about 7am at Mae Sam Laeb to buy
some food at the market. They were wearing their uniforms and the
colonel was carrying a pistol.

Following an inspection by Thai soldiers, the pistol was
confiscated as it is illegal for Burmese soldiers to carry arms in
Thailand. Lieutenant-Colonel Thet Htoo was enraged by the actions
of the Thai soldiers and consequently returned to Burma and came
back with 50 men to loot the village.

This problem of looting by Burmese troops is likely to be raised by
Thai officials at the next meeting of the Thai-Burma Border
Committee.

On the same day, Burmese troops led by Major Yel Lin Htun stopped
a boat on the Salween River and told the owner to buy him some
goods worth about 3000 baht. When the boat owner said that he did
not have enough money, the soldiers detained eight passengers. The
fate of these passengers is unknown. Major Yel Lin Htun is the
deputy commander of Light Infantry Battalion 434, which is based in
Papun but stationed at Pha Seldo outpost about ten kilometres up
stream from Mae Sam Laeb.

All Burma Students' Democratic Front
For further information please call 01 654 4984.