Women of Burma Book

BURMA - VOICES OF WOMEN IN THE STRUGGLE
A BILINGUAL EXPRESSION OF WOMEN?S SOLIDARITY

Women activists are cordially invited to contribute their writings for
inclusion in the bilingual book Burma - Voices of Women in the Struggle.

We would be happy to receive any writing, in either Burmese or English, not
more than 3,000 words in length, in the form of:
· short stories or articles
· letters or poems

Black-and-white photographs or drawings are also welcome. In addition to
original contributions, previously published work is also welcome, with
permission of the writer and publisher.

Writings may cover a range of topics and styles, to reflect the thoughts
and situation of women who want human rights and democracy in Burma. This
can be about:
· an incident which happened in your life
· your hopes for the future
· experiences in the struggle
· what you think about the current situation in your life or your country
· people who have inspired you
· something you feel strongly about

PLEASE SEND IN YOUR ARTICLES BY MARCH 6TH 1998, to allow time for
translation. We hope to complete the book for launching on the next Women
of Burma Day, June 19, 1998 (which is also Daw Suu?s birthday).

This book is a joint project of Altsean-Burma, Burmese Women?s Union and
Burma Issues, with the collaboration of organizations supporting the
promotion of the status of women and the cause of human rights and
democracy in Burma.

The book will aim to:
· Promote the profile of women from Burma who are working for human rights
and democracy
· Educate people about the political and personal perspectives and
experiences of women in the struggle
· Motivate more people, particularly those not yet involved in the
struggle, to be more supportive of the women of Burma and the struggle for
democracy.

All contributors must be women or girls.

Please contact us as soon as possible if you are interested in this book
project.

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT:

 ... when you are younger and you?re strong and you're full of hope and
optimism and strength you don't always become a feminist because you feel
that you can do anything that men can do anyway, so why feel that you need
to fight for your rights? But I think that once you are older and get more
experience and you have seen much more how women are treated, how men treat
women, then I think you begin to feel that women do not get a fair deal.

I think that as I grow older I feel more tender towards women, I feel a
greater sense of solidarity and sympathy.

 ... perhaps the fact that I'm a woman is an additional factor in their
(junta?s) reluctance to talk to me. I don't think it?s the only factor, and
its not necessarily the main factor, but it could be an additional one.

- Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Dec. 1997, Rangoon

******

(2) Women's Duty to Safeguard Race, Adhere to Code of Conduct While
Enjoying Full Rights

 ... Myanmar women have no need to demand their rights for they can enjoy
their rights on equal term with men and that in successive eras,  Myanmar
women have enjoyed full rights and this is due to the people's belief in
Theravada Buddhism, social customs, traditions and culture, and customary
rules and existing laws.

- SPDC, Information Sheet No.A -0286(I), Jan 17, 1998