Free Burma Campaign Worldwide

Dear All,

Here is a Free Burma Campaign worldwide update:

UREGENT ACTION ALERT

Mary Pack, the Editor of Burma Debate, has urged all of us FBC members to
launch  the petition drive in support of Burma Freedom and Democracy Act
ASAP. (I'll repost the sample letter, senate and reps. email address.)

There will be distribution of "Dear Colleage" letter in search of
cosponsorshop and endorsement among US lawmakers. Fellow colleagues, this
is extremely crucial and we can really make a difference here by letting the
Congress know that students and citizens really care about justice in Burma
and that it's about time to teach Slorc thugs and greedy CEOs a lesson by
passing this economic sanctions bill.  We congratulate the Stanford spiders
taking the lead in this campaign.  At Notre Dame, Liz and Free Burma folks
just did a successful petition drive there.  Thanks and congrats, ND folks.

Announcement I:  US Speakers' Bureau List is now available from the Free
Burma Coalition.  If your group is interetsed in obtaining a copy of the
list, please send a note to zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Announcement II:  The Free Burma Coalition world map is being created and
will be up at http://freeburma.org  soon.   If your want your Burma group
listed on the map, please contact Glen at freeburma@xxxxxxxxx

Announcement III:  Bill Rubenstein, co-writer of "Beyond Rangoon" will be
available to speak if your group plans to use the movie Beyond Rangoon for
promoting Free Burma campaign and if your group is located in California.
Contact:  zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

News:

Amnesty International (USA) Burma Campaign is currently on-going and there
are more than 150 college and high school chapters working on the
campus-based AI Burma campaign.

Contact:  Meghan Faux at MFAUX@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

FBC activities:

1.  The University of Wisconsin Group will do the phone petition drive this
Tuesday and Wednesday as part of the March 13 Second International Day of
Action for a Free Burma.

2.  On March 4, 1996, there will be a panel discussion on socially
responsible investment and University of Wisconsin's illicit role (via its
investment in Pepsi, Texaco. and other multinationals) in political
oppression and human righst violations in countries including Burma, East
Timor, Nigeria, and Tibet.  (The two scholars on the panel are
internationally known in their respective fields and strongly in support of
the CSRI campaign.)

Panelists:

Michael W. Apple (John Bascom Professor of Curriculum and Instruction and
of Educational Policy Studies)

Joe Elder (Professor, Center for South Asia and Department of Sociology)

Rep. Tammy Baldwin (Wisconsin State Assembly)

Mike Griffin (Labor Organizer, Decatur,IL)

Place: Memorial Union (UW Madison)