Protests in Japan

--=====================_814346723==_

PRESS RELEASE
October 15, 1995

GROUPS PROTEST BURMESE MILITARY IN JAPAN

With the theme, "We'll dance when there's Democracy in
Burma," members of Burma Youth Volunteer Association
(BYVA) and Burmese Relief Center -- Japan (BRC--J)
protested SLORC's human rights abuses at the "Myanmar
Traditional Dance in Japan" held at Nikkei Hall, Otemachi,
Tokyo.

Billed as a herald of  Visit Myanmar Year,' the performance
started at 3:00 this afternoon, with longyi - clad pro-democracy
activists handing out graphic fliers, reading "We'd like to
dance, too, but SLORC maims us, SLORC chains us, SLORC
slays us," referring to the on - going offensives against ethnic
minorities and the wide - spread use of slave labor.  Many
Japanese attending the performance were unaware of problems
of human rights violations in Burma and expressed appreciation
for the groups' information.

Protests will continue tomorrow, beginning at the gala dinner
with SLORC's Ambassador to Japan Soe Win, before the
performance, and in Kyoto on October 19.

For more information contact:

Soe Win
Burma Youth Volunteer Association
No. 102, Court Tangent A-2