Mizzima:US and Israel pull-out

--------------D096A36D32C25D301D62A2B7

                        U.S. and Israel Pull-Out

September 4, 2001
Durban, South Africa (Mizzima News)

"I know that you do not combat racism by conferences that produce
declarations containing hateful language, some of which is a throwback
to the days of Zionism equals racism"; or supports the idea that we have
made too much of the Holocaust; or suggests that apartheid exists in
Israel; or that singles out only one country in the world, Israel, for
censure and abuse".(U.S Secretary of State Colin Powell announcing the
withdrawal of US
delegation from the Conference)

"Not only have we been unjustly single out but totally false accusations
and lies unrelated to the purpose of the conference have been flung at
us. We have been forced to the conclusion that there is no point or
purpose in our being here." (Israel?s statement on leaving the
Conference)

"The SA government views the withdrawal of the USA delegation or any
other delegation as unfortunate and unnecessary. It will be unfortunate
if a perception were to develop that the USA?s withdrawal from the
Conference is merely a red-herring demonstrating an unwillingness to
confront the real issues posed by racism in the USA and globally."
(South African Minister Essop Pahad on the withdrawal of USA delegation
from WCAR)

High Commissioner for Human Rights and secretary-general of the World
Conference against Racism Mary Robinson said she regretted the decision
by the United States and Israel to withdraw from the Durban meeting, but
urged other delegations to persist in their endeavour for a "ringing
endorsement of tolerance and respect for human dignity".

The President of the Conference, Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma made proposals
to the Conference Bureau regarding ways of accelerating its work and
reaching a consensus on the particularly difficult issues relating to
the Middle East. Members of the bureau regretted the withdrawal of the
two delegations (USA and Israel) but determined to continue the work of
the Conference, to build on the constructive work already done, and to
bring the
conference to a successful end.

The European Union has decided to remain united on the substance as
wellas on the format, whatever development may occur during this
conference. The 15 (other members of EU) have mandated me to accept the
proposalmade by my colleague Zuma, which consists in drafting a
completely new text that could lead to a consensus. (Belgium foreign
minister Louis MICHEL, president of the Council of European Union)

The United Nations Secretary-General has been in contact with Mary
Robinson, the secretary general of the Conference. He expects that
progress can be made as delegates strive to harmonize their divergent
positions in the search for a consensus text to come out of the
conference. The Secretary General Kofi Annan is disappointed at the
decision by Israel and the United States to withdraw their delegations
from these intense negotiations, which he is convinced, with continued
good will, can conclude successfully by the end of this week. (Spokesman
of the UN Secretary General Kofi Annan)

--------------D096A36D32C25D301D62A2B7

News)</a>
produce declarations containing hateful language, some of which is a throwback
to the days of Zionism equals racism"; or supports the idea that we have
made too much of the Holocaust; or suggests that apartheid exists in Israel;
or that singles out only one country in the world, Israel, for censure
and abuse"</font>.(<i>U.S Secretary of State Colin Powell announcing the
withdrawal of US</i>
false accusations and lies unrelated to the purpose of the conference have
been flung at us. We have been forced to the conclusion that there is no
point or purpose in our being here."</font> (<i>Israel?s statement on leaving
the Conference</i>)
or any other delegation as unfortunate and unnecessary. It will be unfortunate
if a perception were to develop that the USA?s withdrawal from the Conference
is merely a red-herring demonstrating an unwillingness to confront the
real issues posed by racism in the USA and globally."</font> (<i>South
African Minister Essop Pahad on the withdrawal of USA delegation from WCAR</i>)
of the World Conference against Racism Mary Robinson said she regretted
the decision by the United States and Israel to withdraw from the Durban
meeting, but urged other delegations to persist in their endeavour for
a "ringing endorsement of tolerance and respect for human dignity".</font>
made proposals to the Conference Bureau regarding ways of accelerating
its work and reaching a consensus on the particularly difficult issues
relating to the Middle East. Members of the bureau regretted the withdrawal
of the two delegations (USA and Israel) but determined to continue the
work of the Conference, to build on the constructive work already done,
and to bring the</font>
substance as wellas on the format, whatever development may occur during
this conference. The 15 (other members of EU) have mandated me to accept
the proposalmade by my colleague Zuma, which consists in drafting a completely
new text that could lead to a consensus.</font> (<i>Belgium foreign minister
Louis MICHEL, president of the Council of European Union</i>)
with Mary Robinson, the secretary general of the Conference. He expects
that progress can be made as delegates strive to harmonize their divergent
positions in the search for a consensus text to come out of the conference.
The Secretary General Kofi Annan is disappointed at the decision by Israel
and the United States to withdraw their delegations from these intense
negotiations, which he is convinced, with continued good will, can conclude
successfully by the end of this week. </font>(<i>Spokesman of the UN Secretary
General Kofi Annan</i>)

--------------D096A36D32C25D301D62A2B7--