Mizzima: Progress has been made in

--------------2D2918454F4AD5BB852C5725

              Progress has been made in Burma talks: Annan

September 1, 2001: Durban, South Africa
Mizzima News Group (www.mizzima.com)

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan today said that the talks in Burma
between the government and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi is moving
ahead and the progress has been made in the talks.

The Secretary General, who is currently in Durban for the World
Conference Against Racism, made the comment in a press briefing this
afternoon in the conference.

Answering a question of a journalist, Mr. Annan said: "I think my
Special Representative Razali Ismail has done a very very good job. He
has kept the parties talking. And we are making progress and as you
notice many opposition politicians have been released from jail. The
process is moving ahead slowly."

"I cannot go into details. But I think we are moving ahead. Progresses
have been made. And I expect to see Razali in New York who will give me
a full report on this latest visit."

UN special envoy Razali Ismail ended his four-day visit to the
military-run Burma on Thursday and he had had a series of meetings with
Nobel Laureate and pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi and the ruling
generals.

The United Nations, in a statement on Friday, said Mr. Razali believed
both sides involved in the talks remain committed to the process of
national reconciliation.

Burma, officially known as Myanmar, is currently ruled by the military
government, which came into power in September 1988.

--------------2D2918454F4AD5BB852C5725

in Burma between the government and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi
is moving ahead and the progress has been made in the talks.</font>
the World Conference Against Racism, made the comment in a press briefing
this afternoon in the conference.</font>
"I think my Special Representative Razali Ismail has done a very very good
job. He has kept the parties talking. And we are making progress and as
you notice many opposition politicians have been released from jail. The
process is moving ahead slowly."</font>
Progresses have been made. And I expect to see Razali in New York who will
give me a full report on this latest visit."</font>
to the military-run Burma on Thursday and he had had a series of meetings
with Nobel Laureate and pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi and the ruling</font>
Razali believed both sides involved in the talks remain committed to the
process of national reconciliation.</font>
by the military government, which came into power in September 1988.</font>

--------------2D2918454F4AD5BB852C5725--