BurmaNet News: August 10, 2001

______________ THE BURMANET NEWS ______________
        An on-line newspaper covering Burma
           August 10, 2001   Issue # 1862
______________ www.burmanet.org _______________

INSIDE BURMA _______
*Far Eastern Economic Review: Burma Talks Focus On Prisoner Release

MONEY _______
*Various companies: Letters to the Free Burma Coalition from Wal-Mar,
IKEA, Columbia Sportswear and other garment companies announcing an end
to sourcing from Burma

GUNS______
*Democratic Voice of Burma: Air force chief of staff said replaces
commander over Feb chopper crash
*Democratic Voice of Burma: Commander claims Rangoon's military
developments arouse Thai interest
*Bangkok Post: Border warning

DRUGS______
*The Nation: Chiang Rai ya ba seizures 'doubling'
*Bangkok Post: Hong Kong seeks assistance-Touched by scourge of Golden
Triangle

REGIONAL/INTERNATIONAL _______
*The Nation: Burma?s spy chief Khin Nyunt to visit soon
*Bangkok Post: Bold stance urged on talks--Personal ties yield but
'meagre' results

OTHER______
*Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand: Panel--Unraveling Burma's
Crisis

__________________ INSIDE BURMA ____________________

Far Eastern Economic Review: Burma Talks Focus On Prisoner Release

Issue cover-dated August 16, 2001

It can now be confirmed that the talks between Burma's military
government and pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi have centred on one
issue: Suu Kyi wants the release of all 2,000 political prisoners in the
country, while the government is releasing some prisoners in the hope
that foreign countries and international institutions will resume aid,
which has been cut off since the military gunned down thousands of
pro-democracy demonstrators in 1988. Contrary to regional press reports,
there is nothing to indicate that the two sides have been discussing
power-sharing agreements or even how the country should be governed,
sources close to the talks in Rangoon report. The sources assert Suu
Kyi's National League for Democracy wants no "rewards" to be given to
the government until all political detainees have been set free and the
NLD leadership is satisfied that the outcome of the talks are
satisfactory and irreversible. At the current pace of prisoner
release--"in dribs and drabs of two to three a week," the NLD complains,
according to an opposition radio station--it could take up to 10 years
before all those now held are out of jail. To speed up the talks, Suu
Kyi wants United Nations special envoy Razali Ismail to visit Burma more
often. The sources also say that, contrary to what the government has
claimed, Suu Kyi did not assent to delaying Razali's visit earlier this
year until June. In other words, there has been no real breakthrough,
and the talks are not going as smoothly as the government has claimed in
an effort to get aid flowing again.

_____________________MONEY_______________________

Various companies: Letters to the Free Burma Coalition from Wal-Mar,
IKEA, Columbia Sportswear and other garment companies announcing an end
to sourcing from Burma

[These letters from major garment retailers who previously sourced
products from Burma and are in response to enquiries from the Free Burma
Coalition.]

North America has written one of the strongest letters yet against
sourcing products from Burma, stating that it is IKEA?s ??position to
destroy any products from Burma at our warehouse locations.? The letter
was in response to an FBC inquiry after the National Labor Committee
discovered that IKEA had received a shipment of ceramics from Burma in
October 2000.
IKEA North America, LLC
Plymouth Meeting, PA

Jeremy Woodrum
Executive Director
Free Burma Coalition
1101 Pennsylvania Ave., SE #204
Washington, DC 20003

Dear Mr. Woodrum,

like to respond in more detail to your concerns. We have again contacted
our IKEA International office in Denmark to discuss the policy towards
business in Burma.

IKEA International?s position regarding business relations in Burma is
the following:
The IKEA group decided in May 1999 not to conduct business in Burma.
Together with a supplier from Thailand, IKEA had at that time just
started a project in Burma. This project was immediately stopped in May
1999. A small number of products had just been bought and were ordered
to be stopped from being delivered to the stores.

I can only see one reason for IKEA being on a Burma company list and
that is that if some products from this only delivery have been sold
through any of our stores, despite the fact that they should have been
stopped and destroyed at the warehouse. IKEA has since May 1999 had no
business in Burma. IKEA International has checked with those who are
responsible in Thailand and in Singapore, and they totally support this
decision. It is clear to everybody that IKEA does no business in Burma.

After further looking into concerns from your most recent letter, any
deliveries of goods to IKEA stores after May 1999 would have been the
result of a purchasing agreement prior to May 1999, and violated our
position to destroy any products from Burma at our warehouse locations.
If you will provide details regarding your letter as to what products
and when the delivery was made, this information will be forwarded to
IKEA Internat?l for closer investigation. Please let me know if you have
any additional concerns. IKEA stands by our policy of sourcing no
products from Burma.
Sincerely,

Marty Marston
IKEA North America
Director of Corporate Communications

*********************************

A now-declassified cable from the U.S. State Department reveals that
among labels found being sewn onto clothes in Burmese textile factories
was ?Columbia? ? despite pledges years ago that Columbia Sportswear
would no longer source from Burma. A previous voicemail message claimed
that this product was counterfeit, as does this letter, which FBC
received on July 24.
Columbia Sportswear Company

July 18, 2001

Mr. Jeremy Woodrum
Executive Director
Free Burma Coalition
1101 Pennsylvania Ave. S.E., #204
Washington, D.C. 20003

Dear Mr. Woodrum,

Thank you for providing us with the opportunity to respond to your
concerns regarding the alleged production of Columbia Sportswear product
in Burma.

Columbia Sportswear ceased production of all products in Burma in 1994
as a direct result of concerns regarding that country?s human rights
violations. Columbia Sportswear has not conducted business in Burma
since that time, so we are extremely disappointed and somewhat puzzled
about these recent allegations.

We are aware of the July 2000 State Department cable stating that
?Columbia? was one of the names found on labels being sewn into garments
at a Burmese factory. Our assumption is that these products are
counterfeit, or were manufactured by a foreign company using the name
?Columbia?.

Columbia Sportswear maintains 11 sourcing and quality control offices in
the Far East, each staffed by Columbia employees and managed by
personnel native to that region. Having our own employees in regions
where we source our products enhances our ability to monitor factories
to ensure their compliance with Columbia?s Standards of Manufacturing
Practices. Our policies require every factory comply with a code of
conduct relating to factory working conditions and the treatment of
workers involved in the production of Columbia brand products.
Since we do not conduct business in Burma, it?s difficult to monitor and
prevent counterfeit products. If you have information regarding the
factory that produced the items mentioned in the State Department cable,
or information about the specific product, please provide those details
to us so that we can conduct our own investigation.
Thank you again for providing us with an opportunity to address your
concerns and clarify the situation.

Sincerely,

Carl Davis
Vice President and General Counsel

***************************************

Family Dollar is the most recent retail chain to inform FBC that they
will no longer be sourcing from Burma.
FAMILY DOLLAR

July 18, 2001

Free Burma Coalition
1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, S.E. #204
Washington, D.C.  20003

Gentlemen:

	After evaluating the issue, Family Dollar recently has decided in the
current situation not to place any more orders to purchase apparel or
other merchandise made in Burma. Vendors who might otherwise import
merchandise made in Burma have been informed of our decision.
					Very truly yours,

					FAMILY DOLLAR STORES, INC,

					George R. Mahoney, Jr.
					Executive Vice President

TJX, Fila, and CostCo have all informed FBC that they will no longer
source from Burma ? perhaps  disturbed by the human rights abuses there
and the knowledge that business in Burma props up one of the world?s
worst dictatorships. In store label-checks and shipping documents will
reveal whether or not these companies are sincere.

TJX:

May 15, 2001

Jeremy Woodrum, Executive Director
Free Burma Coalition
1101 Pennsylvania Ave, SE #204
Washington, DC 20003

Dear Mr. Woodrum:

Thank you for bringing to my attention the concerns of the Free Burma
Coalition.
We have instituted a policy to cease all future production of our
private label product in Myanmar (formerly Burma). I trust this
addresses your concerns.
Very truly yours,

THE TJX COMPANIES, INC.

Ted English
President and CEO

***************************************

FILA U.S.A., Inc.
Corporate Headquarters

May 14, 2001

Free Burma Coalition
Attn: Jeremy Woodrum, Executive Director
1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE ? Suite #204
Washington, DC 20003

Dear Mr. Woodrum:

	I write in response to your March 13, 2001 letter concerning
information your organization provided to Fila USA, Inc. about
conditions in Burma/Myanmar.  We appreciate your organization?s concerns
about conditions in Burma/Myanmar.  In fact, last year, prior to
receiving your letter, Fila U.S.A., Inc. ceased all production in
Myanmar/Burma.  Moreover, Fila has adopted a policy requiring its
affiliates to cease the placement of any future orders for production in
Burma/Myanmar.

	I hope this addresses the issues and concerns that you raised in your
letter.

Sincerely,

Jon Epstein
CEO/President

CPK/cpk

***********************************

Costco Wholesale

May 17, 2001

Free Burma Coalition
1101 Pennsylvania Ave, SE #204
Washington, DC 20003

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am pleased to report to you in response to your letter of May 10,
2001, that our company has discontinued all purchasing of goods
originating in Burma or ?Myanmar.?
Sincerely,

Joel Benoliel
Senior Vice President
Chief Legal Officer

**************************************

This is a letter that the public relations representative for Wal-Mart
Canada, Andrew Pelletier, told FBC that Wal-Mart would never send.
Previously, Wal-Mart?s position on Burma had been not to source
?Wal-Mart? brand products from Burma, but took no position on other
suppliers to the store. Now, Wal-Mart states that they will not accept
any products from Burma from any company supplying Wal-Mart.

In-store label checks will determine if Wal-Mart has really cleaned up
its act and stopped propping up the junta.

WAL*MART
Betsy Reithemeyer
Director, Corporate Affairs
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

May 23, 2001

Free Burma Coalition
1101 Pennsylvania Ave, SE #204
Washington, DC 20003

Dear Sir:
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. does not source products from Burma and we do not
accept merchandise from our suppliers sourced in Burma.

Wal-Mart Canada has received some merchandise sourced from Burma in the
past; as you know, Canadian laws are very different from the U.S., but
has discontinued that practice. Wal-Mart Canada will also not accept any
merchandise sourced from Burma moving forward.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your questions.
Sincerely,

Betsy Reithemeyer

***************************************

KENNETH COLE
NEW YORK
Michael F. Colosi Corporate Vice President
& General Counsel

May 22, 2001

By Facsimile and U.S. Mail
Mr. Jeremy Woodrum
Free Burma Coalition
1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, S.E., Suite 204
Washington, D.C. 20003

Dear Mr. Woodrum:

I am writing to confirm receipt of your letter dated May 9, 2001.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. As we have discussed
previously, Kenneth Cole Productions, Inc has never made goods in Burma,
though one of our licensees did produce a couple of programs there. We
have confirmed that no new orders have been placed since last summer,
that actual production in Burma ceased last fall, and that no goods have
been shipped from Burma since. Thus, before we first heard from the
Coalition last December, we had already achieved in full the slated goal
of your letter: to cut all economic ties between our licensee and the
current regime in Burma.

For the record, I understand there should be very little, if any
Burma-made product in our retail stores today, and we have no present
intention of changing our commitment to prohibit our partners from
sourcing in Burma as long as the social and political turmoil continues.
Accordingly, I believe that our standards are the same as yours and that
we had already achieved the result called for in your letter in the
ordinary course of our business. Please be aware that there may also be
small quantities of goods made in Burma on the shelves of other
customers of our licensee or in other outlets, but those products should
be liquidated very soon, most likely within the next 30-60 days.

I hope this addresses the issues you have raised. We commend your
commitment to this cause. Best regards.
		Sincerely,

		Michael F. Colosi
Corporate Vice President
& General Counsel

KASPER
For
A.S.L.

May 22, 2001

Lillian Viola
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Ms. Viola,

I just received your letter of May 16th regarding the Le Suit product
that was made in Myanmar. In this particular case, I do agree with your
point of view as to the government of Myanmar.
We make over seven million suits a year in various countries throughout
Asia. We consistently monitor our contractors to make certain that they
comply with our standards in regards to the welfare of their workers.
Unfortunately, it turned out that one of our suppliers in Thailand had
sub-contracted a few thousand suits to another factory in Myanmar in
order to avoid late delivery.

One of our supervisors in Hong Kong approved of this move; needless to
say, that person was not aware of the political situation in Myanmar. We
will try to avoid producing in this country until the political
situation improves.

I can assure you that the amount of pieces that slipped into Myanmar is
miniscule compared to our over all business.

Again, let me reassure you that no company is as concerned about the
welfare of their workers as we are. It is too bad that innocent people
have to suffer because their government is corrupt.
Very Truly Yours,

Arthur S. Levine
Chairman and C.E.O.

_______________________GUNS________________________

Democratic Voice of Burma: Air force chief of staff said replaces
commander over Feb chopper crash

Text of report by DVB on 9 August

Maj-Gen Myint Swe, air force chief of staff, has replaced Lt-Gen Kyaw
Than as the Burmese Defence Services' air force commander-in-chief since
the past two months. The appointment was not publicly announced and it
was not known until Maj-Gen Myint Swe inspected some air bases on 17
July in his capacity as the air force commander-in-chief. Accompanied by
other staff officers, he inspected Meiktila, Namhsan and Myitkina
airbases. When Thai Defence Minister Gen Chavalit [Yongchaiyudh] was
welcomed at Rangoon Airport on 23 July, Maj-Gen Myint Swe was mentioned
as air force commander-in-chief. Although the date of appointment of
Maj-Gen Myint Swe was not known, former Air Force Commander-in-Chief
Lt-Gen Kyaw Than has disappeared from public view for over two months
now. He was last seen in mid May after his return from Malaysia.

Lt-Gen Kyaw Than assumed the position of air force commander-in-chief on
15 November 1997 when the State Law and Order Restoration Council
changed its name to SPDC. Though the underlying factor for his dismissal
was not known, it is believed to be related to the helicopter crash that
killed SPDC Secretary-2 Lt-Gen Tin Oo and party. The helicopter crash in
February killed more than a dozen high-ranking military officers
including Lt-Gen Tin Oo. DVB has learned that Air Force
Commander-in-Chief Lt-Gen Kyaw Than was relieved of his post as the air
force was deemed responsible for the crash.

Source: Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1430 gmt 9 Aug 01

Democratic Voice of Burma: Commander claims Rangoon's military
developments arouse Thai interest

August 9, 2001

DVB has learned that Brig-Gen Aye Kywe, the commander of the Coastal
Region Military Command, has urged military units along the Burma-Thai
border to always have military awareness relating to the security
situation of the border. Brig-Gen Aye Kywe, who arrived Kawthaung on 29
July, reportedly said that at a meeting on border security matters held
there. He noted that the modernization of Burma's defence services has
prompted Thailand to investigate and gather intelligence reports on
Burma. DVB correspondent Myint Maung Maung filed the report relating to
Brig-Gen Aye Kywe's remarks on military awareness.

[Myint Maung Maung] Brig-Gen Aye Kywe met with regional battalion
commanders and local militia leaders of villages along the border at the
Hanthawaddy Meeting Hall on 29 July. At the meeting, Brig-Gen Aye Kywe
said although the Tachilek-Mae Sai border conflict is over, border
security matters could not be taken lightly. The country on the other
side has taken more interest than before on the modernization and
development of our defence services.

They are gathering intelligence reports on battalion bases and tactical
command centres, including border outposts and the movements of naval
vessels and military aircraft. Many informers from the country on the
other side have also seeped into the country, including Kawthaung and
other border areas. He urged those responsible to expose them and to
always have military awareness concerning the security of the border
areas.

Source: Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1430 gmt 9 Aug 01

Bangkok Post: Border warning

August 09, 2001.

Armed forces officers wanting to cross into Laos, Cambodia, Burma and
Malaysia must get permission, says Supreme Commander Gen Sampao Chusri.

This was to avoid a repeat of the July 27-Aug 2 abduction of four
officers and three anti-drug officials by the Red Wa in Burma.

Gen Sampao gave the order at a meeting yesterday of the armed forces
commanders. The kidnap victims, who have now been released, were found
to have travelled to Tachilek by themselves, not as part of an
intelligence operation.

________________________DRUGS______________________

The Nation: Chiang Rai ya ba seizures 'doubling'

August 9 2001.

Don Pathan

The amount of methamphetamines confiscated by authorities in Chiang Rai
province over the past seven months is close to the total amount ceased
by provincial officials last year, a senior police officer said
yesterday.

According to Pol Col Thanakit Teurnkaew, a deputy commander at the
provincial counter-narcotic unit, Chiang Rai authorities seized a total
of 4,661,324 tablets of methamphetamines between January 1 and July 31
this year, compared to a total of 5,583,477 for all of last year.

"At the rate we are going, we will double the entire amount we had
confiscated for the year 2000," Thanakit said.

Chiang Rai has for decades been a major drug route for illicit opium and
heroin - and in the recent years, methamphetamines - coming out of the
infamous Golden Triangle, an area where Thailand, Laos and Burma share a
common border.

"It's not that we are easing our counter-narcotic efforts. We have
explored every possible channel, including public relations, educating
the masses and setting up more checkpoints," Thanakit said.

"The problem is that producers still see the illicit business as
something that is worth the risk," he said.

Thanakit said traffickers had become more sophisticated, pointing to the
regular clashes with Thai soldiers along the border near Tak province as
well as a major drug bust earlier this year in the Andaman Sea.

"It's like a balloon affect. When the authorities squeeze one area, the
illicit activities pop up in another," he said.

According to Office of the Narcotic Control Board estimates, about 90
per cent of illicit drugs produced in the area ends up in the streets of
various cities in the country.

The Thai army has blamed a pro-Rangoon ethnic army, the United Wa State
Army, for much of the methamphetmines flooding into the country, saying
the group has over the years expanded its troops and illicit operations
along the common border to areas near Tak province, as well as areas
just north of the Golden Triangle bordering Laos.

It said a number of the clandestine drug labs have "popped up" in areas
along the Mekong River on the Lao side near Burma since the Thai army
stepped up security along the Thai-Burma border following a cross-border
clash earlier this year.

The Burmese government has said it is being unfairly singled out and
that Thailand and other neighbouring countries need to do more to curb
the flow of precursor chemicals needed to make the drugs.

Following the border clashes, top army brass from both sides engaged in
lengthy war of words, accusing their counterparts of taking kickbacks
from the drug traffickers.

Bangkok Post: Hong Kong seeks assistance-Touched by scourge of Golden
Triangle

August 10, 2001

Anucha Charoenpo

Hong Kong's narcotics suppression police yesterday sought Thailand's
help in fighting illegal drugs from the Golden Triangle.

Kenny Lau-chuen, chief superintendent of narcotics police, and his two
delegates here on a two-day unofficial visit, met Pol Lt-Gen Priewphan
Damaphong yesterday.

Mr Kenny discussed with his counterpart the problem of drug abuse,
especially heroin and ecstasy in Hong Kong.

He said 80% of drugs abusers were addicted to heroin and the remaining
20% to ecstasy pills.

Methamphetamines were not popular at the moment but he was afraid this
problem could approach his country soon.

Mr Kenny said Hong Kong police believed most of the heroin originated in
the Golden Triangle and could have been smuggled into Hong Kong via
Thailand or through Yunnan in southern China.

Before visiting Thailand, Mr Kenny and his two officers went to Burma to
seek anti-drugs assistance. They leave for Vietnam on a similar mission
today.

Pol Lt-Gen Priewphan said Thai and Hong Kong narcotics police had a
common interest in controlling the drugs, and more information-sharing
will be conducted between the two agencies.

Pol Lt-Gen Priewphan was speaking at a press conference on the seizure
of 37kg of heroin and 96,200 methamphetamine pills, and the arrest of 10
members of three drug trafficking gangs. Most of the arrests were in the
North.

He said some suspects had close ties with Wei-hseuh Kang, a fugitive
drug baron who oversees drugs production by the United Wa State Army in
Burma.

 Fri, August 10, 2001

Burmas intelligence chief, Lt General Khin Nyunt, will make an official
visit to Bangkok on September 1 as a guest of the Thai government, a
Defence Ministry official said yesterday.

General Sanan Kajornklam said the visit would be the first since 1992
for the Burmese general, who is secretarygeneral of the State Peace and
Development Council and number three in the military junta. General Pat
Akkanibutr, adviser to the Defence Minister, said the Burmese generals
visit was expected to help resolve Thai Burma problems.

There are some bilateral problems that need to be tackled as soon as
possible, for the sake of both countries, Pat said. For example, the
fishery problems [occurring because] Burma revoked all the fishing
licences held by Thai companies, he said.

Border demarcation, generally overseen by a joint border committee,
would also be discussed, Pat said. There were sticking points that need
to be discussed to resolve matters once and for all, he said.

During Khin Nyunts visit, both countries are expected to discuss
bilateral bordertrade problems sparked by a Burmese ban on about 40 Thai
products.

Defence Minister General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh said one of the top
issues to be discussed would be joint border patrols  to quell drug and
people trafficking between the two countries.

Chavalit said if a proposal could be agreed upon, both sides might
formalise the issue of joint patrols while the Burmese general was in
Bangkok.

Thai Burma relations have been at a low ebb of late, partly because of
ongoing border skirmishes involving the Shan State Army, which is
fighting the junta, and drug production by the Rangoon backed United Wa
State Army.

Marisa Chimprabha

The Nation

Bangkok Post: Bold stance urged on talks--Personal ties yield but
'meagre' results

August 09, 2001.

Post Reporters

The government must be bolder with Burma now there are signs of a thaw
in relations, a member of the National Human Rights Commission said
yesterday.
The government should actively support talks towards national
reconciliation in Burma, and demand an end to the detention of
opposition politicians, said Jaran Dithaaphichai.
The ruling State Peace and Development Council and pro-democracy leader
Aung San Suu Kyi have held talks since last October.

But the junta continues to detain an estimated 1,800 political
prisoners, with Mrs Suu Kyi under virtual house arrest since last
September.

Mr Jaran said the Thai government should adopt a more pro-active
approach now that the situation had eased, rather than fall back on
personal relations between political and military leaders as it had done
so far.

This approach was not sustainable and had yielded meagre results, he
said, citing border skirmishes that continued after Mr Thaksin's visit
to Burma in June.
Mr Jaran spoke at a panel discussion marking the 13th anniversary of the
Aug 8, 1988 pro-democracy uprising in Burma. He was not the only speaker
urging more of the government's stance towards Burma.

Suriyasri Katasiri, joint secretary of the Campaign for Popular
Democracy, said the government's Burma policy was devoid of principle.
It had failed to raise lapses in human rights and democracy.

Exiled Burmese pro-democracy groups and the Thai Action Committee for
Democracy in Burma issued statements calling for information on the
talks between Mrs Suu Kyi and the junta.
"It is hard to accept that the talks are genuinely making progress,"
said a joint statement by the National League for Democracy, Democratic
Party for a New Society, All Burma Students Democratic Front, All Burma
Federation Students Union, and the Thai action group.
The groups also called for the release of all opposition politicians,
and freedom of communication and movement for Mrs Suu Kyi and other NLD
members.

In a separate statement, the National Coalition Government of the Union
of Burma said the absence of information about the talks between Mrs Suu
Kyi and the junta would only raise doubts.

The NCGUB and the Mon National Democratic Front also called for a
broadening of the talks to include ethnic minorities.

"Independent and genuine dialogue is the best way to restore national
reconciliation and democracy," the NCGUB said.

The Mon front added: "We will not accept the military government's
neo-colonialist policy of rule by one superior party."The NCGUB said it
was "impossible" to say Burmese political life had improved even though
in the past 10 months authorities had released 180 political prisoners,
and 18 NLD offices had been opened.

The junta continued to hold all those political prisoners, limit the
freedom of political parties, abuse human rights and fight with ethnic
minorities, it said.

Meanwhile, Thailand will send the first batch of 5,000 illegal Burmese
immigrants now hiding in three refugee camps in Tak back to Burma on
Sunday.

Tha Song Yang district chief Vilat Pusilp said the undocumented aliens,
mostly Karen and Mon, had escaped arrest to stay with friends and
relatives in Mae La, Umpium and Nu Pho camps in Tha Song Yang, Phop Phra
and Umphang districts. Around 1,600 people from Mae La camp would be
sent back this weekend, each with 600 baht in travelling expenses, he
said.
Camp director Prasong La-on said the Burmese were difficult to control.

They had sneaked out of the camp at night to work for Thai farm owners.
Some had stolen crops or were hired to cut trees and hunt wild animals.

He said the repatriation was arranged by the Foreign Ministry and the
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

Maung Htay, 25, a Karen who will be deported, said he would petition the
UNHCR to stay in Mae La camp because he had nothing left at home.

______________________OTHER______________________

Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand: Panel--Unraveling Burma's
Crisis

7.30 pm, Wednesday, September 12
Dinner from 7pm Dinner Bt 280 members; Bt 400 non-members

Please book in advance for dinner. Call the FCCT on 652-0580-1.

Panelists:

Christina Fink, author of Living Silence: Burma Under Military Rule; Nic
Dunlop, photographer whose pictures are featured in the book and Moe Zaw
Aung, Burmese activist working with the Democratic Party for a New
Society, M.A. in Education Technology
?Christina Fink will discuss the extent to which military rule in Burma
is not just a crisis of governance but a family affair.  She will also
consider the prospects for a successful political transition in Burma.

Nic Dunlop will talk about the complexities of rendering the impact of
military rule on people's lives through photographs.

Moe Zaw Aung will share his perspective on Burma's troubles based on his
life in Burma and his years studying in the United States.

In her exceptionally readable yet scholarly account of Burma today,
Christina Fink gives a moving and insightful picture of what life under
military rule is like. We begin to understand the accommodations which
people feel compelled to make in order to carry on with daily life,
including the innovative forms of resistance that some courageous
Burmese have engaged in.  Her portrait of Burmese society takes in a
wide diversity of people, including students who have played such a
prominent part in the opposition, ordinary soldiers unhappy with what
the armed forces are doing to their country, religious figures, the
artistic community, and even political prisoners. The author also
explores the strategies and techniques which the military regime has so
skillfully deployed in order to maintain itself in power in defiance of
the popular will.

Copies of Living Silence: Burma Under Military Rule (Zed Books and White
Lotus, 2001) will
be available for purchase.

________________

The BurmaNet News is an Internet newspaper providing comprehensive
coverage of news and opinion on Burma  (Myanmar) from around the world.
If you see something on Burma, you can bring it to our attention by
emailing it to strider@xxxxxxxxxxxx

To automatically subscribe to Burma's only free daily newspaper in
English, send an email to:
burmanet-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To subscribe to The BurmaNet News in Burmese, send an email to:

burmanetburmese-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can also contact BurmaNet by fax:

(US) +1(413)604-9008

________________

Burma News Summaries available by email or the web

There are three Burma news digest services available via either email or
the web.

Burma News Update
Frequency: Biweekly
Availability: By fax or the web.
Viewable online at
http://www.burmaproject.org/burmanewsupdate/index.html
Cost: Free
Published by: Open Society Institute, Burma Project

The Burma Courier
Frequency: Weekly
Availability: E-mail, fax or post.  To subscribe or unsubscribe by email
celsus@xxxxxxxxxxx
Viewable on line at: http://www.egroups.com/group/BurmaCourier
Cost: Free
Note: News sources are cited at the beginning of an article.
Interpretive comments and background
details are often added.

Burma Today
Frequency: Weekly
Availability: E-mail
Viewable online at http://www.worldviewrights.org/pdburma/today.html
Cost: Free
Published by: PD Burma (The International Network of Political Leaders
Promoting Democracy in Burma)