After India, it will be Myanmar: NS

--------------73FD46B5F7D9B4C6ED75C07A

                 After India, it will be Myanmar: NSCN-K

DIPANKAR ROY
The Statesman (New Delhi)
July 2, 2001

MOKOKCHUNG (Nagaland), July 1. ? The NSCN-K will turn its attention to
Myanmar after the Ngo political problem is settled with India and bring
all Nagas together in "one sovereign country."

The NSCN-K and the Centre declared a ceasefire on 28 April after about a
year of "informal" truce.

The NSCN-K general secretary and "prime minister" of the "government of
People's Republic of Nagaland", Mr N Kitovi Zhimomi, told The Statesman
somewhere in Mokokchung district that half the Naga population lives in
Myanmar and his organisation cannot rest till they (Nagas in Myanmar)
and their land are freed from Myanmarese occupation and integrated with
other Nagas and the areas inhabited by them in Assam, Arunachal Pradesh,
Manipur and the present state of Nagaland as on sovereign nation.

Sitting in his seemingly well fortified office ? a close circuit TV
watches for any inimical activity outside the building built on a hill
slope while over a dozen young men with automatic weapons guard the way
to his chamber three stories below the road level ? Mr Zhimomi asserted
that no solution of the Naga political problem could be found within the
Indian Constitution.

"Even if we arrive at any settlement with the Indian government
regarding Nagas living in India, our struggle against Myanmar will
continue," he said.

According to him, about 1.3 million Nagas live inside the
"administrative zone" of the NSCN-K is not so dominant.

"In fact, Myanmar is not very happy that we have entered into a
ceasefire agreement with the government of India and not with them
despite the fact that half the Nagas live there," Mr Zhimomi said. The
NSCN-K chairman, Mr SS Khaplang, is himself form Myanmar.

He said the Myanmar junta had sent feelers to the NSCN-K for a ceasefire
but the organisation has rejected the offer because there is military
rule in that country. "How can we resolve a problem with a military
power," the leader said.

He said a delegation of his government, including some ministers, had
met Myanmarese officials some time ago and apprised them of the NSCN-K'S
demand and the latter's "response was at least not negative as they
acknowledged the existence of the Nagas."

On future talks with the Centre, Mr Zhimomi said the NSCN-K was doing
its homework. "We'll ask the people how they want the problem solved and
we'll ask the people how they want the problem solved and we'll act
accordingly." The NSCN-K will accept any settlement that the Centre may
arrive at with the NSCN-IM, if such a solution is acceptable to the
people.

But will the NSCN-K agree if the Nagas in India war to remain in the
country?

"I have interacted with a lot of people and they, too, are pining for
independence form India," Mr Zhimomi said.

--------------73FD46B5F7D9B4C6ED75C07A

its attention to Myanmar after the Ngo political problem is settled with
India and bring all Nagas together in "one sovereign country."</font>
after about a year of "informal" truce.</font>
"government of People's Republic of Nagaland", Mr N Kitovi Zhimomi, told
The Statesman somewhere in Mokokchung district that half the Naga population
lives in Myanmar and his organisation cannot rest till they (Nagas in Myanmar)
and their land are freed from Myanmarese occupation and integrated with
other Nagas and the areas inhabited by them in Assam, Arunachal Pradesh,
Manipur and the present state of Nagaland as on sovereign nation.</font>
circuit TV watches for any inimical activity outside the building built
on a hill slope while over a dozen young men with automatic weapons guard
the way to his chamber three stories below the road level ? Mr Zhimomi
asserted that no solution of the Naga political problem could be found
within the Indian Constitution.</font>
regarding Nagas living in India, our struggle against Myanmar will continue,"
he said.</font>
the "administrative zone" of the NSCN-K is not so dominant.</font>
into a ceasefire agreement with the government of India and not with them
despite the fact that half the Nagas live there," Mr Zhimomi said. The
NSCN-K chairman, Mr SS Khaplang, is himself form Myanmar.</font>
for a ceasefire but the organisation has rejected the offer because there
is military rule in that country. "How can we resolve a problem with a
military power," the leader said.</font>
ministers, had met Myanmarese officials some time ago and apprised them
of the NSCN-K'S demand and the latter's "response was at least not negative
as they acknowledged the existence of the Nagas."</font>
was doing its homework. "We'll ask the people how they want the problem
solved and we'll ask the people how they want the problem solved and we'll
act accordingly." The NSCN-K will accept any settlement that the Centre
may arrive at with the NSCN-IM, if such a solution is acceptable to the
people.</font>
remain in the country?</font>
are pining for independence form India," Mr Zhimomi said.</font>

--------------73FD46B5F7D9B4C6ED75C07A--