Mizzima: Burmese army kidnaps two I

--------------D1D9539DC3B9BCD25E88DBA5

           Burmese army kidnaps two Indians on Mizoram border

Aizawl, June 11, 2001
Mizzima News Group (www.mizzima.com)

The Burmese army reportedly kidnapped two Indian nationals on the
Indo-Burma border last week, sources in the police said. On June 2, the
Burmese soldiers took away two Mizo nationals and they have been since
then in the captivity of Burmese authorities. The two, one of them is a
local teacher, were from the Vaphai village of Champhai District in
Mizoram State. The village is situated near the international border.

Mr. Romawia, deputy secretary of Home Ministry in Mizoram State said
that his ministry has received the report of the incident and it is in
the process of confirmation.

"We have received the report from local police and we have sought
confirmation of the report from the District Commissioner of Police in
Champhai District", he responded to the query.

"These Myanmarese army often crosses into Indian side. Sometimes, they
take away pigs and cows, goats and so many things. Sometimes, we
reported these to the Home Ministry (in Delhi) and the Home Ministry
takes these matters up (with the Burmese authorities) through diplomatic
channel", he added.

According to Mr. Romawia, the Burmese army often crosses into Indian
territory to trace the Chin armed group, Chin National Army, who are
based along the border areas. "If CNA people crosses into Indian side,
the Burmese army pursued them into India", he said.

"Mizoram government cannot take effective measures although there are
some Assam Rifles guards. The only thing we have to do is to report to
the Indian side (Central government) who will in turn take up the matter
through the diplomatic channels".

There is so far no response from the Burmese authorities over the
kidnapping report.

--------------D1D9539DC3B9BCD25E88DBA5

on the Indo-Burma border last week, sources in the police said. On June
2, the Burmese soldiers took away two Mizo nationals and they have been
since then in the captivity of Burmese authorities. The two, one of them
is a local teacher, were from the Vaphai village of Champhai District in
Mizoram State. The village is situated near the international border.</font>
State said that his ministry has received the report of the incident and
it is in the process of confirmation.</font>
have sought confirmation of the report from the District Commissioner of
Police in Champhai District", he responded to the query.</font>
Sometimes, they take away pigs and cows, goats and so many things. Sometimes,
we reported these to the Home Ministry (in Delhi) and the Home Ministry
takes these matters up (with the Burmese authorities) through diplomatic
channel", he added.</font>
into Indian territory to trace the Chin armed group, Chin National Army,
who are based along the border areas. "If CNA people crosses into Indian
side, the Burmese army pursued them into India", he said.</font>
there are some Assam Rifles guards. The only thing we have to do is to
report to the Indian side (Central government) who will in turn take up
the matter through the diplomatic channels".</font>
over the kidnapping report.</font>

--------------D1D9539DC3B9BCD25E88DBA5--