UNHCR urges Malaysia not to deport

Agence France Presse

March 30, 2001, Friday 3:30 AM, Eastern Time

UNHCR urges Malaysia not to deport Myanmar pro-democracy activist

BYLINE: M. Jegathesan

BODY:
KUALA LUMPUR, March 30 (AFP) - The UN refugee agency and Myanmar pro-democracy
supporters Friday urged Malaysia not to deport a Myanmar activist fearing
he could face torture or
even death if he was sent home.

"We appeal to the Malaysian government not to deport him before UNHCR
interviews him to make an
assessment," Shinji Kubo, protection officer with the United Nations High
Commissioner for Refugees
(UNHCR) here told AFP.

Altsean-Burma, a rights group Thursday said it had "grave concerns" for the
safety of Peter Hee Man,
who may face deportation into the hands of Myanmar's ruling State Peace and
Development Council
(SPDC).

Hee Man was arrested by police along with three other Malaysians on Tuesday
for gate-crashing a
Myanmar embassy party where they stripped off to reveal Aung San Suu Kyi
T-shirts.

In front of some 200 guests, about 20 activists unveiled T-shirts
emblazoned with the image of
Myanmar's democracy leader who has been under house arrest in Yangon since
September.

"They were all very surprised. The Burmese military officials were
extremely embarrassed and angry,"
Altsean quoted one of the protesters, K.P. Lee, as saying before he was
taken away by Malaysian
police.

Kubo said UNHCR has informed the police of its intention to interview Hee
Man before he is handed to
the immigration authorities.

"I would decide whether Hee Man can be accorded refugee status to save him
from deportation," he
said.

Anil Netto, executive member of rights group Aliran said to deport Hee Man
would be "an inhuman act
that would condemn him to torture or even death at the hands of the
ruthless Burmese military junta."

Netto in a statement said Hee Man should be regarded as a political refugee
who needs protection from
the military regime.

"We urge the Malaysian authorities to abide by the UN declaration of human
rights and not to deport
Hee Man without allowing the UNHCR an opportunity to interview him and
determine his status," he
said.

Lee, of the Burma Solidarity Group Malaysia, who was among the three
Malaysians detained overnight
and released late Wednesday said they had a "cordial" meeting with the
police Friday over Hee Man's
detention.

"The police said he was an illegal immigrant since he did not have any
travel documents hence it is an
immigration matter," he told AFP.

Lee said according to Mat Zain Ibrahim, the officer in charge for criminal
investigations, it was up to the
immigration authorities to decide what to do with Hee Man.

"He (Hee Man) may face deportation," Lee said citing Mat Zain. The meeting
was also attended by two
opposition lawmakers who have demanded the immediate release of the Myanmar
national.

Lee said they were denied the chance to meet the detainee who remains in
police detention, adding that
they fear the worst.

"The fear of Hee Man being deported is real. If they deport him, they will
do it fast and without
informing anyone," he said.

Lee urged the UNHCR to interview him quickly as time was against them.

"We will continue our appeal to fight Hee Man's deportation, he said.

Lee said Hee Man needs protection. "If he is deported, he would be arrested
by the military and
tortured."

"There is also concern that the SPDC is pressuring the Malaysian
authorities to take drastic action
against Burma pro-democracy supporters in an effort to stamp out growing
activism in Malaysia," the
Bangkok-based Altsean-Burma group said in a statement.

jsm/co