BurmaNet News: January 30, 2001

______________ THE BURMANET NEWS ______________
        An on-line newspaper covering Burma
         January 30, 2001   Issue # 1722
______________ www.burmanet.org _______________

INSIDE BURMA _______
*AP: EU mission meets Aung San Suu Kyi in Myanmar
*DVB : Veteran Burmese politician on Rangoon, NLD talks
*Burma Courier: General Hails Role of 'Brilliant' Myanmar Women
*DVB : KIO welcome Rangoon, National League for Democracy talks
*DVB : War veterans being trained as backup force

REGIONAL/INTERNATIONAL _______
*Bangkok Post: Tycoon to Sweet-talk Burma
*Bangkok Post: Illegals Nabbed

ECONOMY/BUSINESS _______
*Burma Courier: Marine Official Defends Training Program for Sailors
*Bangkok Post Burma is big market for Carlsberg Beer

OPINION/EDITORIALS_______
*The Nation: EU Mission Takes on a Critical Importance

__________________ INSIDE BURMA ____________________

AP: EU mission meets Aung San Suu Kyi in Myanmar

Jan. 30, 2001

YANGON, Myanmar (AP) _ A European Union delegation met Tuesday with
Myanmar prodemocrat leader Aung San Suu Kyi, only her second reported
diplomatic contact during more than four months of house detention.

 Representatives from Sweden, Belgium and the EU Commission and EU
Council, spent more than two hours with Suu Kyi at her residence on
Yangon's University Avenue, where she has been confined by the Myanmar
military regime since Sept. 22, witnesses said.

 The EU delegation's four-day visit, which began late Sunday, is aimed
at breaking the decade-long deadlock between the regime and the
political opposition led by Suu Kyi. It is the first such EU mission to
Myanmar since July 1999.

 The mission gives the EU the chance to hear from Suu Kyi about the
first direct talks in six years between the two sides that began in
secret in October, signaling an apparent thaw in relations. However, Suu
Kyi is still held incommunicado.

 Her only other diplomatic contact during that time has been with U.N.
special envoy Razali Ismail, who met with her on two mediation missions
in October and January.

 Asian and Western governments have welcomed the talks but many
observers remain skeptical that a major breakthrough is imminent. The
military has ruled Myanmar, also known as Burma, since 1962.

 On Monday, the EU team met with Lt. Gen. Khin Nyunt, the third-ranking
general in the ruling State Peace and Development Council, and Foreign
Minister Win Aung.

 The EU delegation and the government have declined to comment on the
details of their discussions.

 Early Tuesday, the EU delegation, headed by Borje Ljunggren, director
of the Asia and Oceania Division of the Swedish Foreign Ministry, had
breakfast with NLD central executive committee members Lwin, who uses
one name, and Nyunt Wai.

 Lwin is the only NLD leader who has met Suu Kyi since all nine members
of the committee were placed under confinement on Sept. 22 after Suu Kyi
and other NLD members were blocked from traveling outside Yangon on
party work.

 The restrictions on all but Suu Kyi and party chairman Aung Shwe were
lifted on Dec. 1. NLD vice chairman Tin Oo was detained at a military
camp outside the capital, but in a mark of easing tensions, was released
last week, although he is still barred from receiving visitors. The
military also freed from prison 84 lower-ranking NLD members.

 For the past decade, the NLD has been subject to harsh treatment by the
military, which brutally crushed a pro-democracy uprising in 1988 and
two years later refused to recognize the outcome of a general election
which the NLD won by a landslide.

 Since then, the junta has imprisoned hundreds of Suu Kyi's followers,
forced others into quitting the party and refused to heed calls from
Western nations to engage in a meaningful dialogue with the NLD, which
maintains the 1990 election result should be honored.

 One of the EU envoys, who did not want to be named, said it was
possible the delegation would meet with Suu Kyi a second time before
they depart Myanmar late Wednesday.

 ``It all depends on Daw Suu,'' the envoy said. Daw is an honorific.

 The EU team also met Tuesday with Yangon-based ambassadors of Southeast
Asian countries, United Nations officials and aid workers from foreign
nongovernment organizations.

 They were also meeting leaders of ethnic political parties including
Khun Tun Oo, chairman of the Shan Nationalities League for Democracy,
that won seats in the 1990 elections.

 The EU delegation will make an official announcement about its
evaluation of the visit in Brussels next week, said Jonathan Scheele, a
representative of the EU Commission. They are also due to give a press
briefing in Bangkok after departing Yangon Wednesday.

DVB : Veteran Burmese politician on Rangoon, NLD talks

Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1245 gmt 26 Jan 01

A Burmese veteran politician, Thakin Thein Pe, has given an interview to
opposition radio, Democratic Voice of Burma, on the progress of the
current peace talks between State Peace and Development Council and the
National League for Democracy (NLD). Thakin Thein Pe said he thought
that the release from prison of NLD members showed that some progress
had been made and the arrival of an EU delegation would lead to further
success. However, he feared that the talks would disregard the NLD
victory at the May 1990 election. The following is the text of report by
Burmese opposition radio on 26 January

The SPDC [State Peace and Development Council] has released NLD
[National League for Democracy] Vice-Chairman U Tin Oo from Yemon
cantonment camp as well as all the NLD members arrested from Rangoon
central railway station yesterday. Although some say the release shows
progress in SPDC-Daw Aung San Suu Kyi talks there are some who are still
adopting a wait-and-see attitude. Veteran Burmese politicians led by
Bohmu Aung, a member of the 30 Burmese Comrades who fought for Burma's
independence, have constantly urged for a dialogue between the SPDC and
NLD. DVB [Democratic Voice of Burma] interviewed veteran politician
Thakin [Burmese title meaning master] Thein Pe, one of the veteran
politicians who have persistently urged for a dialogue between the SPDC
and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. Ko Moe Aye conducted the interview.

[Ko Moe Aye] As far as we know U Tin Oo has been sent back to his home
from Yemon cantonment camp yesterday. Furthermore all the NLD members
arrested at Rangoon central railway station were also released. What is
your view on that?
[Thakin Thein Pe] We think the release shows gradual progress in the
talks. We feel the situation will improve further when the EU delegation
arrives. Another thing for consideration is the UN will be holding its
meeting in March so we think things will be wrapped up by then.

[Ko Moe Aye] What we want to know is do you all hope to see a quick and
smooth result emerging from the outcome of the talks between Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi and the SPDC?

[Thakin Thein Pe] Well, for a quick result, the best thing is according
to the Thuwanna Tharma story [from Buddhist teachings]. All concerned
should talk openly with honesty and asseverate the truth, then we shall
all see the result which we hope for. We believe if they say the truth
and discuss it then there will be success and real progress. What we see
now is that since the people from the outside do not know what is really
happening they seem to be very anxious. They think this will also be
prolonged like the former meetings.

[Ko Moe Aye] Then, is there anything that you are also worried and
concerned about?
[Thakin Thein Pe] The one thing we ask is the convening of parliament.
Well, they might not convene it but it might be done in a different way
[sentence as received]. We are worried about that because it might
differ from what the world has come to accept now. Gen Saw Maung [late
chairman of the State Law and Order Restoration Council] held the
election. He said it very distinctly in his speech, a very good speech,
that the Defence Services will hold the election. He said that he will
form a government with the election winners and they themselves will
return to the military barracks. Well, to disregard this election and to
do another one similar will not be right. It will mean total disregard
to the one that organized it. That election was recognized by the UN and
everyone in Burma understood that it was free and fair. They all know
that. That is why we ask for the convening of the people's assembly.
Only that assembly will be the people's assembly. As I mentioned before,
that assembly will have the right to promulgate the amnesty law, the
constitution and to hold future elections. We all have that desire and
we feel that is perfectly legal.

[Ko Moe Aye] What you are afraid of is that they might disregard the May
1990 election result and continue discussing other topics. Do you mean
that?

[Thakin Thein Pe] The election was done legally and Gen Saw Maung
himself claimed that it was also free and fair. Furthermore, he also
said he will transfer power. But when the time came power was not
transferred. The UN also said Burma's election was free and fair. We
need to ask why the parliament elected by the people was not recognized?
Why do they want to hold a new election? If they really want [to convene
an assembly] please do it with the original election result. What needs
to be discussed is that a new election will be held soon. The reason is
if they hold an election now, they will have to write a new
constitution. Moreover, if the election is held only for a constituent
assembly then I wonder how long will it take for a legal government to
emerge. We are worried about that too.

[Ko Moe Aye] Some are saying that although the SPDC and Daw Suu are
holding secret talks, nothing is known and they do not know what stage
the talks are in. What is your opinion?

[Thakin Thein Pe] We are also not satisfied with today's uncertain
situation. There are so many diverse comments that we are afraid we
might even become crazy and might not know what really happen. What we
wish to happen is to reconcile and to recognize the election where the
people have given their mandate, to recognize the 1947 constitution and
to append and amend that constitution as needed. As soon as these are
done then grant general amnesty. The country will then be reconciled and
the situation will return to normal. After that hold new elections and
we believe the country will be revitalized.

[Ko Moe Aye] Another thing. The SPDC has said that they will not be
publishing any slanderous articles and writings against Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi in the SPDC newspapers. This shows their softening stance and some
NLD members agreed. What is your opinion on that?

[Thakin Thein Pe] What we think is there is progress but we are unable
to guess how the final result is going to be. Everyone should do his
duty. Our chairman Bohmu Aung said Daw Suu is Gen Aung San's daughter
and the army is Gen Aung San's sons so there is no need for brothers and
sister to fight. He also said if the people wearing trousers [military
personnel] want to do politics - the politics they are doing right now
is not appropriate - and if they want to become politicians they should
get rid of the trousers and wear a longyi [sarong - become civilians]
instead. We would also like to add our suggestions, if they want to
engage in discipline-flourishing democracy they should declare a
discipline-flourishing democracy party and enter the election. Other
interested people should also get the approval and enter the election as
well. Then the real answer to democracy will emerge. Let me say that
only.

Burma Courier: General Hails Role of 'Brilliant' Myanmar Women

Jan. 27, 2001

Secretary No. 1 of the State Peace and Development Council, Lt-Gen Khin
Nyunt, speaking to the opening ceremony of the Second Myanmar Women's
Conference at the International Business Centre on January 25:  NLM" Jan
26, 2001

LT-GEN KHIN NYUNT:  "History shows that as Myanmar women are always
given a deserving role to play in Myanmar society, they do not have
inferiority complex, but possess self-confidence and brilliant
capabilities.  One of the reasons for the continuous emergence of
brilliant women imbued with outstanding physical and mental abilities
throughout the history is that women have enjoyed their rights on a par
with men and have been able to work in the national interest with their
morale, valour and capabilities as a result of being given equal roles
and rights."

Number of women among 19 Members of the ruling State Council of Myanmar
= 0 Number of women among 39 Ministers of State of Union of Myanmar = 0
Number of women among 45 Deputy Ministers of State of Union of Myanmar
  = 0

DVB : KIO welcome Rangoon, National League for Democracy talks

Burmese ethnic groups welcome Rangoon, National League for Democracy
talks

Text of report by Burmese opposition radio on 27 January

The Kachin Independence Organization, KIO, one of the nationalities
armed group which signed a cease-fire agreement, has welcomed the talks
between the SPDC [State Peace and Development Council] and the National
League for Democracy [NLD]. DVB [Democratic Voice of Burma]
correspondent Htet Aung Kyaw conducted the following interview with KIO
spokesperson U Hla Nawng [name as received].

[Hla Nawng] We are happy and welcomed the talks. We wanted peace that is
why we signed the cease-fire very early. At the same time, we think and
believe that we will achieve peace gradually.

[Htet Aung Kyaw] That was U J. Hla Nawng, a spokesperson of the KIO, the
Kachin Independence Organization, which signed a cease-fire agreement
with the SPDC military government in 1993. The NMSP, the New Mon State
Party, which signed a cease-fire agreement in 1995, welcomed the present
progress of the talks but one NMSP official told DVB that they regret
their inability at present to express their views officially like the
KIO. Most cease-fire groups like the KIO, the current nationalities
armed group engaged in armed struggle like the KNU, Karen National
Union, and other exiled democracy organizations are stridently seeking
tripartite talks. The KIO spokesperson gave the following answer to the
connection between the present talks and the tripartite talks.

[Hla Nawng] I believe, without any foreign intervention like the current
talks, the Burmese people themselves can get together for a dialogue. If
that is the case, it will be closer to success. The next step will be to
include the cease-fire groups gradually. Then only the tripartite talks
will happen.

[Htet Aung Kyaw] As the current talks are being welcomed, without any
objection, by the cease-fire groups, the groups engaged in armed
struggle, the exiled opposition and the entire international community
including the UN, it is hoped that a definite answer will emerge in the
near future.

DVB : War veterans being trained as backup force

Burma: War veterans being trained as backup force - opposition radio

Text of report by Burmese opposition radio on 20 January

The SPDC [State Peace and Development Council] Military Intelligence
[MI] personnel have been organizing War Veteran Organization [WVO]
members and conducting special training courses. The MI-5 conducted a
one-month training course for WVO members at Moulmein University in Mon
State last October. They were taught military and administrative matters
at the refresher training course. At the training course opening
ceremony MI Commander Maj. Myo Myint said that the situation is tensed
between Thailand and Burma and it could erupt into war anytime. He said
when the armed forces march into battle the WVO members must take care
of all the matters back at the base. He also remarked that the 4,204 WVO
members in Mon State are considered as the main reserved force for about
150,000 regular troops.
The Burma WVO was formed in December 1972 and was reformed by a new law
in August 1989. The current chairman of the Burma WVO is Lt. Gen. Win
Myint, secretary-3 of the SPDC. The various states and divisions WVO
Organizing Committees have been holding pre-conferences in preparation
for the Burma WVO Conference in December 2001.

DVB [Democratic Voice of Burma] correspondent Kyaw Sein Aung field this
report.

___________________ REGIONAL/INTERNATIONAL___________________

Bangkok Post: Tycoon to Sweet-talk Burma

TUESDAY, JANUARY 30, 2001

Promises to speed up democracy

Post Reporters

Thai Rak Thai will try to cajole rather than coerce Burma into believing
democracy is good, party leader Thaksin Shinawatra said yesterday.
The party would also adhere to the principle of non-intervention in
dealing with Burma, Mr Thaksin said, distancing himself from Foreign
Minister Surin Pitsuwan's policy of "flexible engagement" with regional
neighbours.
"We won't force but we will convince," he said. Thai experiences would
be related to Burma to show that "we have tasted democracy and found it
is a good thing," he said.

"We won't say that we won't associate with you because you won't let
Aung San Suu Kyi form a government," he said, referring to the Burmese
opposition leader.

Though Thai Rak Thai favoured a multi-dimensional approach to foreign
affairs, the party would leave no loopholes for neighbours to exploit,
and would ensure "unity of command", Mr Thaksin said.

He dismissed suggestions the approach might allow the generals in
Rangoon to go to the Thai military if they could not achieve results
from the Foreign Ministry.

"I am the CEO and ministers will be like department heads," the telecoms
tycoon said.

"I will not let ministers decide national issues without the prime
minister's knowing.

"I will be responsible for what is wrong or right, therefore I will have
to co-ordinate with every ministry .... otherwise there will be no unity
of command," he said.

Mr Thaksin also promised his party would address the problems of Thai
fishermen, half of whom went out of business after Burma closed its
waters following the seizure of the Burmese embassy by exiles in
October, 1999, after which the raiders were set free.

"They [Burmese leaders] have wanted to talk with me for a long time but
I was in no position [to make it happen]," Mr Thaksin said.

"I have good personal relations with our neighbours. I have built up
personal relations in tandem with institutional relations," he said.
"Special care" was needed in dealing with regional neighbours, he said.
"We have let them dislike us," he said in a veiled reference to the
Democrats' ties with Rangoon.

Mr Thaksin, who was foreign minister for three months in 1994, also
promised Thai Rak Thai would take charge of foreign affairs but would
not confirm if Surakiart Sathirathai, deputy party leader, would head
the ministry.

Mr Surakiart accompanied the party leader yesterday to the Bangkok Post
while the other two contenders, Pitak Intarawithayanunt and Pracha
Guna-kasem did not.

Bangkok Post: Illegals Nabbed

 TUESDAY, JANUARY 30, 2001

Tak - Of the 56 Burmese illegals who broke out of a police cell on
Sunday, 13 are still at large while the rest have been caught.

The Burmese were being detained pending legal procedures before
deportation when they escaped. They forced their way out of the cell
when police opened the door to bring them food.

During the ensuing hunt, police arrested 200 more Burmese, including
children, for illegal entry.

_______________ ECONOMY AND BUSINESS _______________

Burma Courier: Marine Official Defends Training Program for Sailors

Based on articles from Myanmar Times and AFP:  Updated to Jan 23, 2001

RANGOON - An official of the Marine Administration Department of the
military junta's Transport Ministry has denied reports that Burma's
exclusion from a recently released  International Maritime Organisation
(IMO) 'white list' of approved nations has led to Burmese seafarers
being dismissed in favour of those from other countries. The IMO 'white
list' includes countries whose seafarers are adequately trained and
properly certified.

"No Myanmar seafarers with authentic national certificates have been
dismissed," the official told the Myanmar Times.  "If any Myanmar sailor
had been sacked, it would have been due to his own lack of
qualifications and competency and would have had nothing to do with
Myanmar's omission from the white list.  But companies of good
reputation often confirm the authenticity of Myanmar seafarers being
employed for the first time."  About 20,000 Myanmar seafarers still work
on board ships unaffected by the announcement, he said.

The IMO promulgated its Standard of Training, Certification and
Watch-keeping for Seafarers (STCW) in 1995 to ensure that countries
complied with new training and certification standards for seafarers.
Countries included in the white list are those found by the IMO to have
demonstrated compliance with the STCW.

It has become required procedure that vessels fly the respective
national flags of all seafarers on board.  It is expected that ships
employing seafarers from countries not on the 'white list' will be
targeted by port control authorities after 31 January, 2002.  The 73rd
session of the IMO Maritime Safety Committee, on 23 November last year,
included 72 nations on its 'white list'.

Myanmar's omission was a development which baffled national maritime
officials, because a British Maritime and Coastguard Agency assessor had
inspected Myanmar's training and certification procedures in March last
year and found them fully satisfactory. The British assessor's report
said certificates issued by the Myanmar Government would be given equal
status to those issued by his own country.  There are only 26 countries
in the world to which the British maritime authority has granted such
recognition.

There are 48,000 registered Myanmar seamen, and more than 12,000 left
the country on sea-bound ships during 1999-2000 financial year.
Collectively, they remitted US$ 24.71 million back into Myanmar in the
form of transfers to their families, income tax payments, service
charges and bank savings.

Meanwhile, a report issued by the International Labour Organization in
Geneva this week indicated that wage rates for able seafarers from poor
countries such as Myanmar, Bangladesh, China, Hong Kong, India and
Poland increased from 25 to 91 percent between 1992 and 1999.   The
increase came at the same time as sailors from developed countries
experienced drastic declines in their wages.  In Australia, the average
monthly earnings of an able seafarer dropped by 65 percent over the
seven-year period, while in Japan and Germany it dropped by 53 percent,
by 49 percent for the Dutch and 14 percent for the French, the report
said.   Overall, on a global basis, sailors pay declined during the
period, the report said.

The ILO report said that one of the main reasons for the falling waging
rate was the fact owners were hiring more seafarers from countries with
generally lower salaries. Two Japanese companies have already offered to
employ Burmese seafarers to replace those from another Asian country,
the Marine Transport official told the Times. "When I asked them why
they didn't wait until Myanmar is named on the 'white list', they simply
said, 'It will be too late'."

Bangkok Post Burma is big market for Carlsberg Beer

New venture to promote Chang beer exports in Asia

 January 29, 2001

Saritdet Marukatat
Copenhagen

Carlsberg will use a new company to promote Chang beer outside Thailand,
and is keen to open a brewery in Burma.

Michel Iuul, group managing director of the Danish company, said Chang
would be distributed in Asia by Carlsberg Asia Ltd, an equal joint
venture between Carlsberg A/S and the Asian Chang Beverage Co.

Mr Iuul, who oversees Carlsberg Asia, did not elaborate on the prime
targets for Chang beer exports from Thailand. But he indicated that they
could include Thailand's neighbours, where consumers are already well
aware of the brand through advertising, and possibly China.

Chang is brewed by Beer Thai (1991) Co, owned by liquor tycoon Charoen
Sirivadhanabhakdi who is a major shareholder of Carlsberg in Thailand.
Mr Charoen is a key partner in Carlsberg Asia Ltd, which was launched
this month with its head office in Singapore.

Mr Iuul said an initial public offering was planned for the new company
within three years with listing on the Singapore stock market seriously
considered. Singapore would be the most suitable market for the share
offering.

The distribution of Chang beer would strengthen Carlsberg's presence in
Asia as the two products were complementary, he said. Carlsberg is
promoted as a premium brand in Thailand, while Chang, with a higher
alcohol content, is aimed at low-income earners and volume drinkers.
Chang claims to have a 60% share of the Thai beer market.

The Asian market was developing into different layers, Mr Iuul said.
Drinkers were switching to beer from hard liquor. Coupled with the huge
market, the trend had persuaded Carlsberg to form the new company to
promote Chang.

Asia's beer consumption totalled 333 million hectolitres in 1999, up
from 84 million in 1997, despite the regional recession.

Burma is the only big market in Southeast Asia that Carlsberg has yet to
enter. Mr Iuul said that when political barriers to doing business in
Burma were overcome, Carlsberg expected to open a brewery in the
country.

Tuesday, January 30, 2001

The EU mission to Burma this week could make or break the military
regime. For the past 12 years, the European Union has been at the
forefront of the anti-Burmese drive around the world. The last visit by
a team from the EU was pretty much unsuccessful in that it did not
produce any positive results.

Now, with much enthusiasm and optimism preceding this latest mission,
especially after the success of the recent trip by UN Special Envoy for
Burma, Dato Ismail Razali, the EU group is in sight of making concrete
progress in Rangoon. Last week's release of Tin Oo, the vice-chairman of
the opposition National League for Democracy, and the junta's talks with
Aung San Suu Kyi certainly augur well for a positive visit. Any meeting
between the EU delegation and opposition leader Suu Kyi will offer a
first-hand glimpse into her condition and the political situation there.

Given the track record of the junta and the fact that the media and
security apparatus are tightly controlled, there is the danger of being
fooled by what is happening in the country. After all, the State Peace
and Development Council, as the regime is officially known, has learned
all the tricks in handling the hostile international community. Yet,
hopes are high that the generals now realise that they have to give a
little before the international community is prepared to loosen up. Now
would seem to be the best time to do so.

Lest one forgets, the junta leaders have suppressed the democratic
movement and violated human rights in every shape and manner since they
ruthlessly overturned the results of the election of May 1990. So
whatever progress has been made must be weighted against this
background.

For a long time now there have been many people anxious to see things
moving ahead in Burma and are therefore willing to sacrifice principles
and turn a blind eye to the worst excesses of the junta. Such is the
case with North Korea. When a rogue state changes its attitude, it can
only be a welcome move. So if the junta leaders are genuine, they should
move quickly to establish trust with the opposition and keep the
momentum rolling. Previously, there had been similar steps and optimism
had risen, but in typical junta fashion they were quickly crushed. It is
to be hoped that before the EU mission renders any credit to the junta,
the team is 100 per cent sure that the junta is serious about national
reconciliation. Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, who met the
generals recently, said the junta might have an election sometime in the
future but that the people should understand that it is not to be an
occasion to hurt their regime. If that is the case, then democracy in
Burma is in for the long haul.

But Burma's economy is in a complete shambles and the generals know it.
The country needs assistance from all sides. Countries that are friendly
to Burma such as Japan and China, not to mention the Asean states, are
all looking for a reason to increase their assistance and bolster their
relationships, and the EU mission could provide that.

Thailand, which has had to shoulder all of the problems emanating from
the repressive regime, has welcomed what little headway has been made so
far. No doubt everyone in this country wishes to see a regime that will
allow the Burmese to live freely and participate in rebuilding the
nation, regardless of ethnicity.

If the EU mission gets a good impression of the regime, that should
encourage Thailand to think a bit more positively about its neighbour.
The Burmese then could expect the government, like the international
community, to respond in kind.

________________

The BurmaNet News is an Internet newspaper providing comprehensive
coverage of news and opinion on Burma  (Myanmar) from around the world.
If you see something on Burma, you can bring it to our attention by
emailing it to strider@xxxxxxx

To automatically subscribe to Burma's only free daily newspaper in
English, send an email to:
burmanet-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To subscribe to The BurmaNet News in Burmese, send an email to:

burmanetburmese-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can also contact BurmaNet by phone or fax:

Voice mail or fax (US) +1(202) 318-1261
You will be prompted to press 1 for a voice message or 2 to send a fax.
If you do neither, a fax tone will begin automatically.

Fax (Japan) +81 (3) 4512-8143

________________

Burma News Summaries available by email or the web

There are three Burma news digest services available via either email or
the web.

Burma News Update
Frequency: Biweekly
Availability: By fax or the web.
Viewable online at http://www.soros.org/burma/burmanewsupdate/index.html
Cost: Free
Published by: Open Society Institute, Burma Project

The Burma Courier
Frequency: Weekly
Availability: E-mail, fax or post.  To subscribe or unsubscribe by email
celsus@xxxxxxxxxxx
Viewable on line at: http://www.egroups.com/group/BurmaCourier
Cost: Free
Note: News sources are cited at the beginning of an article.
Interpretive comments and background
details are often added.

Burma Today
Frequency: Weekly