Senior General Than Shwe Gives Guid

I thought this report was worth circulating -- DA

Senior General Than Shwe Gives Guidance to UDNR Trainees

The Chairman of the State Peace and Development Council, Commander-in-Chief
of Defence Services Senior General Than Shwe gave guidance to the trainees of
the Primary Teachership Course No.33 of the University for Development of
National Races (UDNR) in Mingala Hall of the Pyithu Hluttaw Building in
Yangon on 29 January. The Chairman delivered the address. In his address, the
Senior General said: "I also believe that as you have been trained at the
UDNR in accord with these aims and objectives, you will have already realized
the attitude and conviction you should adopt when discharging your duties in
your native towns at the end of this course. The opening of the University
for Development of National Races is for nurturing the youths from border
regions like you and it is in accordance with the historic needs. Moreover,
schools for development of the youths of the border regions have been opened
to give them vocational training also related to socio-economic subjects.
Now, measures have been taken to open Nationalities Youth Resources
Development Degree Colleges in Mandalay and Yangon to enable them to pursue
higher education there and to discharge education, health and administrative
duties in their respective regions.

Opportunities have been created to enable outstanding students of the border
area youth development schools, degree colleges and UDNR continue their
studies in other institutions of higher learning. At a time when there emerge
good opportunities for youth of border areas to get access to higher
learning, the role of UDNR students, who are to educate the youths of border
areas, has become more significant and important. As much as the
opportunities created by the State can be used effectively, nationality
youths of border areas will emerge as the human resources with higher
education en masse and the pace of progress in implementing the border area
development tasks will further be accelerated.

The tasks which will ensure adequate food, clothing and shelter conditions
for the regional people and which will rapidly promote regional economy are
agriculture and livestock breeding. As the trainees have practically learnt
agricultural and livestock breeding sciences at the university, they should
strive to become models in showing the way for systematic progress of
agriculture, livestock breeding and other businesses of the local national
races. Thus, they should make efforts to promote agriculture and livestock
breeding stage by stage in developing the national peopleâ??s food, clothing
and shelter conditions and economy. Moreover, they should always strive to
organize the people with the conviction to ensure peace, stability and
progress in the nation, to make the nation more powerful and to enhance the
spirit of national solidarity and the Union Spirit.

Our border regions have developed. They are now completely different from ten
years ago when there was no peace. These achievements have been attained
because of the government's endeavours for the development of border areas to
minimize the gap of development across the country. The national people can
distinguish good and evil for they have witnessed higher living standard. We,
national people, will preserve the peaceful life gained by the goodwill of
the government. I believe that border areas where we live will soon catch up
with the regions that are already developed. It is encouraging to see
cooperation among national people under the leadership of the government. It
is necessary to educate local youths in efforts to continue endeavours for
the development of our regions, border areas. Education promotion programmes
are being carried out systematically. Altogether 42,272 schools including
affiliated schools have been opened at basic education level to educate
youths. We promise to nurture our pupils to possess patriotic spirit, good
character and knowledge".

MYANMAR INFORMATION COMMITTEE YANGON
Information Sheet No. B-1696(I) 30th January, 2001