Mizzima: Tibetans condemn Delhi Pol

--------------9056BF1C604624044756F1F0

Tibetans condemn Delhi Police for shooting on young protestors

New Delhi, January 15, 2001
Mizzima News Group (www.mizzima.com)

Tibetan activists and their supporters today condemned what they termed
"brutal, inhuman and unannounced shooting" on some Tibetan protestors by
the Delhi Police yesterday near Hotel Taj Palace where visiting Chinese
leader Mr. Li Peng had stayed. In a press conference convened this
afternoon in Delhi, Tibetan activists have alleged that the police have
acted out of their way only to please Chinese leader Mr. Li Peng.

Three Tibetan protestors were injured, two of them from police shooting,
yesterday evening while a group of Tibetan students were protesting
against the visit of Chinese leader to India.

"For the first time to our utter shock and dismay, the police yesterday
fired on our young protestors injuring Mr. Tashi (18) and Mr. Passang
(19)", said the press release. Another young Tibetan student (Mr. Tehor)
was allegedly manhandled by a policeman by hitting on the head by the
butts of the gun. All the injured three Tibetans are currently in the
hospital.

Former Chinese Prime Minister and Chairman of the National People's
Congress Mr. Li Peng is on a nine-day visit to India from January 11 and
Delhi Police have taken every possible measures to prevent any incident
which would embarrass the visiting Chinese leader. Mr. Li Peng and
entourage left for Bangalore this morning.

"We welcome a cordial relationship between India and China. However, we
strongly believe that such relationship should not be at the cost of
sacrificing the fate of six million Tibetan people", said Mr. Karma
Yeshi, Vice-President of Tibetan Youth Congress (TYC) which is one of
the most active Tibetan organizations in India. "Thousands of Tibetans
are compelled to seek political refuge in India and neighboring
countries due to ever-increasing Chinese government's repression in
Tibet."

"It is our duty to raise our voice because Li Peng and his regime has
illegally occupied Tibet. We have been for the last forty-one year
staging protests peacefully against Chinese atrocities in Tibet. But we
are now shocked by the police's inhuman action on us", said Mr. Karma
Yeshi.

Terming the way police have handled on the Tibetan protestors as
"ruthless", Mr. Vijay Kranti, who is from Core Group for Tibetan Cause
condemned the police's action. "We condemn the way police have handled,
the way they arrested indiscriminately even those who look like
Tibetans, the way they tried to stop the right of Tibetans to
demonstrate", said Mr. Kranti at the press conference.

According to Mr. Karma Yeshi, total 196 Tibetan activists have been sent
to jail since January 11. Tibetan activists and free Tibet supporters
have called upon the government of India to ensure that all the arrested
Tibetans are immediately released without any conditions and have also
appealed to constitute a high level enquiry committee to look into the
police shooting.