Mizzima: New Approach to Negotiatio

--------------D2148D6DDD1F9390197AED86

New Approach to Negotiation

By Win Htein, January 5, 2001
Mizzima News Group (www.mizzima.com)

A leading figure of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN),
Malaysia Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohammed is currently in Rangoon to
meet with Burmese military generals. And the United Nations? Special
Envoy Razali Ismail is arriving Burma today to meet both the leaders of
military regime and opposition democracy leaders. In the third week of
January, the European Union (EU) Troika will visit to this politically
turmoil country. What is the meaning of these 3-foreign missions to
Burma during the same month?

"It may be strange for observers. But we think that this has shown how
the world community is very concerned on Burma?s situation. The ASEAN,
UN and EU want to see a political negotiation to happen as soon as
possible. Now they are pressing hard for it," commented Dr Thaung Htun,
the UN representative for Burmese government in exile, National
Coalition Government of the Union of Burma (NCGUB).

The welcome on these foreign missions to Burma has not only come from
exiled activists like Dr. Thaung Htun, but also from the people inside
Rangoon. "We welcome the UN, EU or any negotiator. We always open the
door to talk with the SPDC (military junta). Now, we are waiting for
their response to negotiation", U Than Tun, secretary of the Committee
to Represent the People?s Parliament (CRPP) told recently to
Norway-based Democratic Voice of Burma. The CRPP was formed in 1998 with
some representatives of political parties that won in the 1990 election.

However, the ruling body of this country is still silent. Its foreign
minister U Win Aung warned at the recent EU-ASEAN meeting in Lao on the
visit of these foreign missions to Burma. ?When they come, we will talk.
We will listen to their point of view and they must listen to our point
of view. That's all. The mission is not mechanism to intermediate on one
country?s affair", he said.

When the journalists asked him how to approach to dialogue with the
opposition, "If they want genuine dialogue they should abandon their
confrontational approach and their ... threatening words," he replied.
"When the confrontation and also the threat of international pressure is
no more, (then) it will create a common ground where both sides can
stand together".

But U Than Tun does not agree with him. "We don't agree his comment
because this is a precondition. We don't want any precondition for
dialogue. We should start in current standing point and should talk what
we will do in future," claimed the secretary of CRPP.

Dr Thaung Htun also added some points. "It is not confrontation. The
National League for Democracy (NLD) is just voicing to respect the rule
of law. There are elected Members of Parliament. So their duty is to
criticize the wrongdoing of the military government. It is the same with
what all the opposition parties all over the world are doing", he
continued.

In Rangoon, Mahathir will stay until January 9 but it is not yet clear
whether he is meeting with his former assistant Razali. But some
observers say this is not a coincidence. "Maybe Mahathir has planned to
meet Razali and suggest how to approach the hard-line generals for
dialogue as he is a prominent close friend of the junta", said a Burma
observer in Bangkok.

In last October, Razali met opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi twice at
her residence in Rangoon where she is under house arrest. He also met
General Than Shwe, chief of the military regime. But Suu Kyi is still on
detention.

Between Razali's two trips from October to now, there were no changes in
this country. But one clear point is that no one wants to live in this
political deadlock.

"We urged them to enter into dialogue. We suggested forming a
Conciliation Committee that includes some representatives from three
sides: the current government, the NLD and the ethnic groups. It is the
only way to break the deadlock," said a statement of ex-statesmen led by
Bo Mu Aung who belong to the era of Independence struggle.

Moreover, some former-NLD members have called on the junta to talk with
the opposition political parties. "We urge that the military authorities
as well as all legitimate political parties get together to discuss
matters relating to the 1990 general election or start the process of
drafting the country?s Constitution," said the statement of former MPs
who were kicked-out from the NLD.

A worldwide think-tank had also warned that there is possible collapse
of the military rule in the country. "The challenge for the
international community is to find ways to intensify the pressure upon
Burma/ Myanmar?s military regime to accommodate peaceful democratic
transition,? said Gareth Evans, President of the International Crisis
Group.

?In pursuing that peaceful transition, there is a clear need to support
the democratic opposition forces within the country in ways that are not
counterproductive.? he said.

Till now, the junta has not made any respond on the requests of various
parties from inside and outside for dialogue.

This time, however, all Burmese are hoping that the junta will respond
on Razali?s proposal for dialogue. Because this is the best way for
their country!

(Win Htein is Bangkok-correspondent for Democratic Voice of Burma.)