Mizzima: "Junta should be investiga

--------------AAFB27DA398BC6E8C9B47965

?Junta should be investigated before international criminal court?,
Burma women activists

Chiang Mai, Thailand, December 11, 2000
Mizzima News Group (www.mizzima.com)

Calling for an international mechanism to stop crimes against humanity
and in particular those perpetrated by the state, the women activists of
Burma have demanded that the military junta in Burma should be
investigated before the international criminal court for its war crimes
being committed in Burma. A day after the International Human Rights
Day, a testimony on atrocities committed by the military junta in Burma
was heard today at a public hearing on current war crimes in Tokyo.

The hearing is held in conjunction with the Women?s International War
Crimes Tribunal on Japan?s military sexual slavery from 8 to 12
December.

Ms. Khin Ohmar, a representative from the Women?s League of Burma, read
the testimony of Naw Dah Mu, an ethnic refugee from Burma who fled the
military brutality in her village. ?Five times in my life, my house and
belongings have been looted and I have had to run away from the junta?s
soldiers. Each time they took all they could, including my domestic
animals,? said Naw Dah Mu, a 41-year-old woman, in her testimony.

Naw Dah Mu, who escaped to the Thai border, together with her two
children after her husband was tortured to death by the junta?s
soldiers, could not attend the hearing in person, as she has no travel
document.

According to the Burma Border Consortium (BBC), the relief organization
assisting refugees from Burma, there are 120, 000 refugees living in
camps along the Thai-Burma border.

In a press release issued today, the Women?s League of Burma which is an
umbrella of total twelve women?s organizations from Burma said that
women in Burma are being forced to leave their home, due to state
violence and forced labor, extortion, forced reallocation, rape and
abuse by the ruling military regime?s soldiers is common in that
country.

?The Women?s League of Burma (WLB) strongly urges the international
community to call for an international tribunal on war crimes in Burma,
with the aim of deterring such crimes against humanity,? said the press
release.

The public hearing is jointly organized by the United States, Women?s
Caucus for Gender Justice and Violence Against Women, Net from Japan and
several other women organizations to draw attention to war crimes
against women.