Mizzima: Chins from Burma stranded

--------------DE95121D21159BD8EEE607D4

Chins from Burma stranded in a Pacific Island

New Delhi, November 7, 2000
Mizzima News Group (www.mizzima.com)

Hundreds of Chin who fled from military repression in Burma are stranded
in a small island in the Pacific Ocean, where they continue to face
uncertain future, said Canada-based Chin Human Rights Organization
(CHRO).

About three hundreds Chins are taking shelter in Guam, a small island of
United State?s territory in the Pacific Ocean. They claim that they fled
from the brutal repression in Burma, a South East Asian country
presently ruled by the military.

The Chin asylum-seekrs, which include Church leaders, doctors, teachers
and political activists, are waiting for their application for refugee
status to be determined by the United States Immigration and
Naturalization Service (USINS).

The Guam authority detains some of them for illegal entry into the
territory. Majority of them survive only with the help of local
Christian Churches and support from Chin community around the world,
said CHRO in its Rhododendron Human Rights News Letter issued in
October.

?We have nowhere to go. We faced rampant human rights violations in our
home country. We can?t even conduct worship service without their (the
military authority) permission. The people are living in constant fear
of the Military Intelligence Service?, said a Chin asylum-seeker from
Guam, who is being charged with illegal entry by the Guam authorities.

It is not known clearly how they landed in this remote island of Pacific
Ocean.