Mahanta proposes joint military act

Mahanta proposes joint military action in Bhutan

The Asian Age (New Delhi)
By Manoj Anand

Guwahati, July 10: Close on the heels of Bhutan National Assembly?s
resolution to start a military operation to drive out Indian militants
from its territory, Assam chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta has
proposed launching a joint military action against the militants holed
up in the Bhutan forests.

Distributing a copy of the resolution, published by The Asian Age on
Monday, Mr Mahanta said: ?In case Bhutan finds it difficult to launch an
Army operation on its own against the militants, we think they should
not hesitate to take help of the Indian Army. I urged upon the
Government of India to discuss with the Bhutan government about the
possibility of launching a joint military action against  the
militants.?

Welcoming the Bhutan?s move on Monday, he said, ?We hope that our other
neighbouring countries like Bangladesh and Burma will also take similar
steps without any further delay to evict the Ulfa and other insurgent
groups operating from their countries.?

He lauded the Bhutanese leaders for faking such a bold initiative to
effectively address the problem that has been disturbing both Assam and
Bhutan for last eight years. ?Such stern steps, if taken will enable the
Bhutanese to get rid of the armed intruders, whose presence is
infringing upon their sovereignty and security,? Mr Mahanta said, adding
that it would also remove the feelings of suspicion and misunderstanding
among Indians, who are compelled to perceive that Ulfa and Bodo
militants had a safe sanctuary in Bhutan and its government was taking a
lenient view.

About financial problems that may confront small countries like Bhutan
in launching military operation, Mr Mahanta suggested that Indian should
also look into this aspect seriously. He said all  the bordering
district  headquarters  have  been  alerted as  the  ultras  may try to
sneak  into Assam. Vigil along the international border has already been
intensified and security forces have been kept on high alert, he added.