[theburmanetnews] BurmaNet News: Ap

Subject: [theburmanetnews] BurmaNet News: April 19, 2000

______________ THE BURMANET NEWS ______________
        An on-line newspaper covering Burma
______________ www.burmanet.org _______________

April 19, 2000

Issue # 1512

This edition of The BurmaNet News is viewable online at:

http://theburmanetnews.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$330

NOTED IN PASSING:

*Inside Burma

BAKATHA: RESTRICTIONS ON UNIVERSITY AND COLLEGE LEVEL ENTRANCE EXAMS

SHAN: WA RELOCATIONS

SHAN:  EXILED SHANS ELECT NEW GENERAL SECRETARY

*International

REUTERS: UK RULES OUT SOFTER STAND AGAINST MYANMAR

AFP: MYANMAR HITS OUT AT BRITAIN AS COOK VISITS THAILAND

AAP: FED- AID TO BURMA, HIGHER CONSULAR FEES IN LEAKED BUDGET PAPERS

BANGKOK POST: UNIFORMS SEIZED

BANGKOK POST: SHIP LANES TO OPEN AS TRADE DEAL IS SIGNED

BANGKOK POST: KARENNI INFLUX

*Opinion/Editorials

*Other

BURMA PEACE FOUNDATION: COMMENT ON 2000 HUMAN RIGHTS RESOLUTION

UN: TEXT OF 2000 HUMAN RIGHTS RESOLUTION ON MYANMAR

__________________ INSIDE BURMA ____________________

BAKATHA: RESTRICTIONS ON UNIVERSITY AND COLLEGE LEVEL ENTRANCE EXAMS

  Information Release4/00

  SPDC has placed restrictions on university and college level
entrance exams

  1. The National Race Development University is preparing to open
the Primary teacher-training course # 35 in June 2000.  Many people
have applied for this course, but the authorities are strictly
checking their applications and only some of those who apply are
chosen for the entrance exam The people who are selected to write the
entrance exam for the course have been investigated by their regional
police and local military intelligence concerning the following:

    a) Whether the applicant has ever had contact with any opposition
group.

    b) Whether any of the applicant's family members have gone
underground or are a member of an opposition (insurgent) group.

    c) Whether the applicant has any criminal record.

    d) Whether the applicant has been involved in politics, or a
political party.

    e) Whether the applicant has been involved in the student struggle
 .
    f) Whether the applicant's character is 'good' or 'bad'.

  The local authorities gather information concerning the above
criteria to decide who can and who cannot take the entrance exam for
the teacher-training course.

  2. The Military Medical University, the Military Engineering
University, as well as the Military College of Technology and the
Military Mechanical College, which will open for classes in 2000,
also all have strict entrance requirements.  Students who attend
these institutions must first take an entrance exam, and meet the
same criteria as written above.  The students must get a
recommendation from their local intelligence and police stations
before they are allowed to take the exams. While taking classes in
these colleges and universities, the students receive a monthly
stipend from the military. When students from these institutions have
completed their programs, they must sign a bond promising 10 years of
service to the military. These universities and colleges are only for
students who have been born into military or government families.

  3. Therefore, the National Race Development University and the
Military universities and colleges entrance exam requirements are
extremely selective and strict. The civilian student mass is
concerned that the military will apply these entrance standards to
all colleges, universities, and diploma training courses in Burma.

  Foreign Affairs Committee
  All Burma Federation of Student Unions.

======================================
Foreign Affairs' Comittee
All Burma Federation of Student Union
Phone No: (055- 543001) (055- 542864)
Email Address: bakatha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mail Address :PO.Box(30) ,63110 ,
Maesot ,Tak Province ,
Thailand
======================================

SHAN: WA RELOCATIONS

No: 4 - 4

Wa Officer: The Cold Stopped Us, Now Only the Monsoons Can Stop Us

A Wa officer who visited the border during the Songkran (Thingyan)
festival told S.H.A.N. the Wa leadership had resumed its mass
transportations of the Wa people to the south opposite Chiangmai and
Chiangrai provinces since the end of the cold season.

The Wa commander, who requested anonymity, said: "Some of the people
died from intense cold, and our leaders decided to suspend the
operation. Now only the monsoons can stop them coming."

He added that the mass exodus would begin again at the end of the
rainy season.

He denied reports that the food supply problems had any bearing on
the suspension of their operation. "We Was are used to fasting," he
said.

Asked whether the mass relocations had anything to do with the zero-
production of opium in the Wa region, he smiled. "Yes, that's what we
want you people to write," he replied, refusing to elaborate.

Another source spoke of finding people surprised when they were asked
the same question. "We weren't told either by the Burmese or our
leaders that was the reason for our resettlement program," said
one. "They merely told
us that there was a country down south where our (Wa) army wrested
from Khun Sa and we had got to move there. So we came."  The officer
S.H.A.N. met also pleaded ignorance of the "real reason" behind the
mass relocation program. "My job is to follow orders, not to question
them," he said.

Asked how much the Was were spending for the operation, he said it
was a question to be answered by the finance department
officials. "But I heard one of them said they had already spent about
B. 1,000 millions for transportation, construction of buildings and
especially rice."

The United Wa State Army, in cooperation with the Burmese Army, has
been launching an unprecedented program of relocating 50,000
families, ?  '¶ roughly half of their total population -- near the
Chinese border in the
north to the Thai border in the south since October.

SHAN:  EXILED SHANS ELECT NEW GENERAL SECRETARY

No: 4 - 5

Exiled Shans Elect New General Secretary
The Shan Democratic Union, formed by Shan expatriates, held its third
congress, amid the Songkran Festival that began earnestly on Sunday in
northern Thailand.

The two-day meeting, 9-10 April, presided over by Sai Htoon, Vice
President-1, and attended by representatives from several groups
including the Restoration Council of  Shan State/ Shan State Army,
was reported to
have elected Sai Wansai, well known and well-liked, both at home and
abroad, as the new General Secretary, succeeding the hard working but
colorless Khamzam Payakwong.

"His elections is also welcomed by many groups who believe he will be
better man to work with," said one participant who refused to be
named.

Wansai also holds the office of "the Ambassador of Shan States." He
is also
known internationally for his paper, "Secession as an ethnic conflict
resolution: the case of Shan States" that was presented to the 1998
Barcelona Conference held by UNESCO.

Jose Ramos-Horta, the East Timorese who won a Nobel peace prize, and
is "slated" to head the foreign ministry of the newly independent
country, reportedly took "deep interest" in the paper and
discussed "at length" with him.

The Shan Democratic Union is led by Sao Hsohom, Prince of Mongpawn a
former principality in the Shan State of Burma. His father, Sao Sam
Htoon, together with Aung San, the Nobel Laureate's father, was
assassinated in 1947, a year before independence. Sao Hsohom was also
the co-author of the Federal Bill that brought about the coup det'at
of General Ne Win in 1962.

The Shan Democratic Union, according to its Basic Principles, upholds
6-guiding principles: National Cohesion, Peace, Rule of Law, Equality,
Democracy and Right to Self Determination.

///END\\\
For further information, please contact S.H.A.N. at:
Shan Herald Agency for News.
P.O. Box. 15, Nonghoi P.O., 50007, Chiangmai, Thailand
e-mail: <shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

S.H.A.N. is a non-profit, independent Shan media group. It is not

__________________ INTERNATIONAL ___________________

REUTERS: UK RULES OUT SOFTER STAND AGAINST MYANMAR

By Robert Birsel

BANGKOK, April 19 (Reuters) - Britain on Wednesday ruled out
any softening of its tough stand on military-ruled Myanmar,
saying it would continue to shun economic ties and discourage
tourism until the country made democratic reforms.

``We have adopted a very clear position of expressing our
concerns about Burma (Myanmar). We have stood by those
concerns,'' British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook told a news
conference in the Thai capital after talks with Thai Prime
Minister Chuan Leekpai and Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan.
``We'll continue to press them until we secure reforms.''

``We do not provide any support for industrial, commercial
links with Myanmar...We also discourage tourism with Myanmar
under the present circumstances,'' Cook said.
Cook said Britain would like a commercial relationship with
Yangon but said it needed ``to have the confidence we are
dealing with a government that speaks for the people of
Myanmar.''

Britain has played a leading role in the international
community trying to pressure its former colony, previously known
as Burma, to introduce democracy and improve its human rights.
Thailand and its neighbours have pursued the alternative
policy of ``constructive engagement'' with Myanmar in the hope
of encouraging reform.

Disagreement over how to handle Myanmar has damaged ties
between the European Union and the 10-member Association of
Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), of which both Myanmar and
Thailand are members.

BRITAIN, THAILAND DIFFER ON MYANMAR

Surin said that while Britain and others had legitimate
concerns, Thailand, which shares a 2,400-km (1,500-mile) border
with Myanmar, would seek cooperation with its government.
``We have to find a way to work together, to cooperate with
our neighbour to the west in order to give peace and stability,
along the border for our two peoples,'' Surin said.
In a response to recent British criticism, a spokesman for
Myanmar's military government accused Britain of ``a
double-standard ethical foreign policy,'' saying Myanmar had
been a victim of Britain's colonial policy of ``divide and
rule.''

``Historical facts have clearly revealed that Britain is the
key player in incessantly creating narcotics problems in our
region as well as ethnic armed insurgencies,'' the spokesman
said in a statement faxed to Reuters. He gave no further
details.

But Cook said Britain had lead the fight against the drugs
trade and was concerned about Myanmar ``precisely because it has
connived in the growth of the heroin trade and amphetamines.''
He also rejected charges of double standards over its tough
treatment of Myanmar and softer approach to reported human
rights violations by major powers like China and Russia.
``There is no double standard. We make it quite clear we
want to see democracy. We want to see human rights preserved
everywhere and we will pursue that dialogue wherever we can,''
Cook told Reuters.

EU foreign ministers last week agreed to tighten sanctions
against Myanmar but also held out an olive branch by agreeing to
send an EU delegation to the country to try to improve
relations.

Cook said he welcomed the tougher sanctions while Surin said
he welcomed moves to resume cooperation between ASEAN and the
EU.

Myanmar's military has ruled the country since overthrowing
its last democratic government in 1962 and has ignored all
pressure and appeals to open dialogue with opposition leader and
Nobel peace prize laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.

AFP: MYANMAR HITS OUT AT BRITAIN AS COOK VISITS THAILAND

YANGON, April 19 (AFP) - Myanmar fired a bitter verbal salvo at
Britain on Wednesday as its foreign minister visited Thailand,
accusing its former colonial ruler of pursuing a "double standard
ethical foreign policy."

As Foreign Secretary Robin Cook held talks with Thai leaders which
included discussion of Myanmar, the Yangon junta issued a statement
harshly critical of Britain which ruled the country then known as
Burma until 1948.

"Myanmar has not only been a victim of colonial Britain's divide and
rule policy but it is still a victim of today's Britain's double
standard ethical foreign policy," said a spokesman in a statement.

The spokesman took issue with a report in which a British embassy
spokesman in Bangkok was quoted as saying that Myanmar was a
phenonomenal "burden" on Thailand.

"Historical facts have clearly revealed that Britain is the key
player in incessantly creating narcotics problems in our regional as
well as ethnic armed insurgencies."

Yangon says British colonial rulers introduced opium to Myanmar and
fomenting unrest among its ethnic insurgencies during its rule.
Half a century after the end of British rule Myanmar is now regarded
as one of the world's largest producers of illicit drugs.
Its government has however signed ceasefire deals with many ethnic
groups, but some foreign critics say the agreements were only
brokered after officials turned a blind eye to narcotics production.

Britain is one of the fiercest critics of the military regime in
Yangon and is a firm supporter of democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
Cook on Wednesday praised Thailand for hosting more than 100,000
Myanmar refugees and called for democratic reform in Myanmar.

AAP: FED- AID TO BURMA, HIGHER CONSULAR FEES IN LEAKED BUDGET PAPERS

CANBERRA,
April 19

AAP - Higher consular fees, direct government aid to Burma's military
regime and a cut in overall overseas aid to a 30-year low feature in
this year's foreign affairs budget, leaked papers show. The items
have been revealed in a budget briefing kit for government members
obtained by opposition foreign affairs spokesman Laurie Brereton.

"Why is Australia giving aid to the government of Burma for human
rights?" asks one rhetorical question, confirming Australia is to
resume direct government aid to Burma's military regime for the first
time since the 1989 elections were brutally quashed. "The government
will provide $150 million in aid to East Timor over four years, $100
million of which is additional funding," reads the answer to another
question. However, the overall foreign aid budget drops to $1,600
million.

While this is up four per cent on the budgeted figure for this
financial year, Mr Brereton says it's down slightly on the $1.65
billion actually spent this year, due to extra spending on the crises
in East Timor and Kosovo. "As a consequence of this reduction
Australia's foreign aid as a proportion of gross national product is
projected to fall ... to 0.25 per cent in 2000-2001 - the lowest
level in 30 years," Mr Brereton said. Mr Brereton also denounced the
aid commitment to Burma, which will anger the US and European Union,
who are pressuring Australia to break off all aid and trade
contacts. "

At best the Howard government's initiative appears naive and unlikely
to bring substantive benefits to the long suffering Burmese people,"
he said. "The main consequences may be to give international
legitimacy to Burma's military regime." The briefing kit also reveals
Australians living overseas will be hit with higher consular fees for
services, such as witnessing wills and legal papers, and registering
births. No figure is given, but the papers refer to a 10 per cent or
$10-$15 million shortfall in passport fees due to fewer Australians
travelling overseas last year.

BANGKOK POST: UNIFORMS SEIZED

April 19, 2000

Mae Hong Son-A man was arrested after military volunteers found 221
Karen rebel uniforms and a shotgun in his pickup truck in Mae Sariang
district yesterday.

Following the arrest of Chamnian Nakkasem, 38, two Karen National
Union officers asked Saowarat Yimrungruang, the district chief, for
the  return of the uniforms but were told to leave Mae Sariang in 24
hours or face arrest.

Since then, officers posted at checkpoints throughout the district
have been placed on 24-hour alert on the orders of the district chief.

BANGKOK POST: SHIP LANES TO OPEN AS TRADE DEAL IS SIGNED

Officials to work out regional river laws
Amornrat Mahitthirook and Theerawat Khamthita
Thailand, Burma, Laos and China will today sign a pact allowing
commercial ships to freely navigate along all parts of the Mekong
river.

Transport and Communications Minister Suthep Thaugsuban would today
join ministers of the other three countries in the Burmese town of
Tachilek, to seal the commercial
navigation pact.

Common navigation rules are expected to be concluded within six
months and the agreement will come into effect in one year, the
ministry said.

The deal will clear the way for ships to freely navigate on the upper
Mekong region from Simao in southern China to Chiang Rai and Luang
Prabang in Laos, it said.

The ministry expects the agreement to stimulate trade, investment,
contacts and tourism in the region.

The Harbour Department would map out plans to build ports in the
northern districts of Chiang Saen and Chiang Khong. The government
has set aside a 260-million baht-budget
for the project, which will add to Thailand's 14 other ports along
the Mekong.  Vessels from the four countries will enjoy faster
customs procedures and equal access to
ports and warehouses, the ministry said.

Chiang Rai Governor Samrerng Poonyopakorn said a 70-million-baht pier
would be built in Chiang Saen district and would be completed next
year, he said. The governor said local residents welcomed the
agreement as it would boost year-long trade. In the past, receding
water during summer had forced ships to stop. The new agreement would
enable ships to pass through all year long.

Bangkok Post (April 19, 2000)

BANGKOK POST: KARENNI INFLUX

April 19, 2000

Mae Hong Son - About 130 Karenni crossed into Thailand yesterday and
said they were fleeing fighting between Burmese forces and ethnic
rebels.

Local officials said they were unaware of any fighting in areas of
Burma opposite Mae Hong Son but allowed the Karenni in and
confiscated assault rifles some of the men in the group had brought.

An intelligence officer said there was suspicion that the Karenni
might have been planning to set up a rear base on Thai soil to
conduct their armed struggle against the
junta. - AP

______________________ OTHER _________________________

BURMA PEACE FOUNDATION: COMMENT ON 2000 HUMAN RIGHTS RESOLUTION

One interesting point is that over the past week or so, the SPDC
delegation to the Commission has been lobbying very hard to remove
the reference to the ILO Governing Body's decision of 27 March. With
the help of Japan, which threatened to call a vote if the language
were not changed, the original paragraph:

"Noting the resolution adopted by the International Labour Conference
at its 87th Session on the widespread use of forced labour in
Myanmar, and also of the recommendation of the Governing Body of the
International Labour Organization that the 88th Session of the
International Labour Conference (May-June 2000) adopt such measures
as it may deem wise and expedient to secure compliance by the
Government of Myanmar with the recommendations of the Commission of
Inquiry established to examine the observance of the Forced Labour
Convention, 1930 (No. 29),"

was replaced by

"Taking note of the resolution adopted by the International Labour
Conference at its 87th Session on the widespread use of forced labour
in Myanmar, and also of the recommendation of the International Labour
Organization Governing Body's recommendation of the 27 March 2000,"

It seems that the Burmese military are particularly sensitive to the
ILO criticisms. It might be interesting to watch the ILO Conference
(30 May-15 June). The ILO website is www.ilo.org

DNA

UN: TEXT OF 2000 HUMAN RIGHTS RESOLUTION ON MYANMAR

                                                 Distr.
                                                 GENERAL

                                                 E/CN.4/2000/L.33

                                                 Original: ENGLISH

COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS
Fifty-sixth session
Agenda item 9

QUESTION OF THE VIOLATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS AND FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS IN
ANY PART OF THE WORLD

Australia*, Austria*, Belgium*, Bulgaria*, Canada, Costa Rica*,
Cyprus*, Czech Republic, Denmark*, Finland*, France, Germany,
Greece*, Hungary*, Iceland*, Ireland*, Israel, Italy, Latvia,
Liechtenstein*, Lithuania*, Luxembourg, Malta*, Netherlands*, New
Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Romania, San
Marino*, Slovakia*, Slovenia*, Spain, Sweden*, Switzerland*, Turkey,
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States
of America: draft resolution

2000/... Situation of human rights in Myanmar

The Commission on Human Rights,

Reaffirming that all Member States have an obligation to promote and
protect human rights and fundamental freedoms as stated in the
Charter of the United Nations and as elaborated in the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights, the International Covenants on Human
Rights and other applicable human rights instruments,

Gravely concerned at the systematic and increasingly severe
violations of civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights
in Myanmar,

Recognizing that these severe violations of human rights by the
Government of Myanmar have had a significant adverse effect on the
health and welfare of the people of Myanmar,

Deeply regretting the failure of the Government of Myanmar to
cooperate fully with the relevant United Nations mechanisms, in
particular the Special Rapporteur, while noting the recent increased
contacts between the Government of Myanmar and the international
community,

Aware that the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that the
will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government
and therefore gravely concerned that the Government of Myanmar still
has not implemented its commitment to take all necessary steps
towards democracy in the light of the results of the elections held
in 1990,

Recalling the observation made by the Special Rapporteur that the
absence of respect for the rights pertaining to democratic governance
is at the root of all the major violations of human rights in Myanmar,

Mindful that Myanmar is a party to the Convention on the Rights of
the
Child, the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of
Discrimination against Women, the Geneva Conventions of 12 August
1949 on the protection of victims of war and the Forced Labour
Convention, 1930 (No. 29) and the Freedom of Association and
Protection of the Right to Organize Convention, 1948 (No. 87) of the
International Labour Organization,

Recalling the concluding observations of the Committee on the
Elimination of Discrimination against Women
(CEDAW/C/2000/I/CRP.3/Add.2/Rev.1) on the initial report submitted by
Myanmar to that treaty monitoring body in which, inter alia, it
expresses its concern at violations of the human rights of women, in
particular by military personnel,

Taking note of the resolution adopted by the International Labour
Conference at its 87th Session on the widespread use of forced labour
in Myanmar, and also of the recommendation of the International
Labour
Organization Governing Body?  '²s recommendation of the 27 March 2000,

Recalling previous resolutions of the General Assembly and the
Commission on Human Rights on the subject, most recently Assembly
resolution 54/186 of 17 December 1999 and Commission resolution
1999/17 of 23 April 1999,

1. Welcomes:

(a) The report of the Special Rapporteur (E/CN.4/2000/38) on the
situation of human rights in Myanmar and the report of the Secretary-
General (E/CN.4/2000/29), and expresses its appreciation and support
for the work of the Special Rapporteur;

(b) The resumption of cooperation with the International Committee of
the Red Cross, allowing the Committee to communicate with and visit
prisoners in accordance with its standard working rules, and
encourages continued cooperation in that regard;

2. Notes the constructive dialogue between the Committee on the
Elimination of Discrimination against Women and the Government of
Myanmar at the recent session of that Committee;

3. Notes the visit to Myanmar by the Special Envoy of the Secretary-
General in October 1999 for the purpose of holding discussions with
the Government and with political leaders, including Aung San Suu Kyi
and representatives of some ethnic minority groups, while regretting
that two senior members of the latter were arrested shortly after
having met with the Special Envoy, and calls upon the Government of
Myanmar to enter into a constructive dialogue with the Secretary-
General in order to make better use of his good offices;

4. Reaffirms the need to provide adequate protection and assistance
for persons fleeing from Myanmar and, in this context, takes note
with
appreciation of the efforts of the Government of Thailand in
providing
assistance and the expanded role played by the Office of the United
Nations High Commissioner for Refugees;

5. Expresses its grave concern:

(a) At the increased repression of any form of public political
activity, the arbitrary detention the imprisonment and the systematic
surveillance of those exercising their rights to freedom of thought,
expression, assembly and association, as well as the harassment of
their families;

(b) That, despite the partial reopening of some courses, most
institutions of higher education have remained closed for political
reasons for over three years;

(c) That the composition and working procedures of the National
Convention do not permit either members of Parliament-elect or
representatives of the ethnic minorities to express their views
freely, and is concerned that the National Convention has not been
convened since 1996 and thus is not in a position to further the
restoration of democracy and national reconciliation;

(d) That the Government of Myanmar has failed to review its
legislation, to cease its widespread use of forced labour of its own
people and to punish those exacting forced labour, which has forced
the International Labour Organization to exclude further cooperation
with the Government until such time as it has implemented the
recommendations of the Commission of Inquiry except for the purpose
of implementing those recommendations;

6. Deplores:

(a) The continuing pattern of gross and systematic violations of
human
rights in Myanmar, including extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary
executions, particularly in areas of ethnic tension, and enforced
disappearances, torture, harsh prison conditions, abuse of women and
children by government agents, arbitrary seizures of land and
property, and the imposition of oppressive measures directed in
particular at ethnic and religious minorities, including systematic
programmes of forced relocation, destruction of crops and fields, the
continued widespread use of forced labour, including for work on
infrastructure projects, production of food for the military and as
porters for the army;

(b) The lack of independence of the judiciary from the executive and
the wide disrespect of the rule of law, including of the basic
guarantees of due process, especially in cases involving exercise of
political and civil rights and freedoms, resulting in arbitrary
arrests and detentions, non-existence of judicial control over
detentions, sentences passed without trial, keeping the accused in
ignorance of the legal basis of the charge brought against them,
trials held in secrecy and without proper legal representation, want
of knowledge by the family and counsel of the accused about the
sentence and detentions beyond the end of prison sentences;

(c) The continued violations of the human rights of, and widespread
discriminatory practices against, persons belonging to minorities,
including extrajudicial executions, rape, torture, ill-treatment and
the systematic programmes of forced relocation directed against
ethnic
minorities, notably in Karen, Karenni, Rakhine and Shan States and in
Tennasserim Division, resulting in the large-scale displacement of
persons and flows of refugees to neighbouring countries, thus
creating problems for the countries concerned, and particularly the
condition of statelessness, the confiscation of land and the
restrictions on movement faced by returning Rohingya refugees, which
have prevented the establishment of stable conditions for their
voluntary return in safety and dignity and for their reintegration
and have contributed to movements out of the country;

(d) The continuing violations of the human rights of women, in
particular forced labour, trafficking, sexual violence and
exploitation, often committed by military personnel, and especially
directed towards women who are returning refugees, internally
displaced or belong to ethnic minorities or the political opposition;

(e) The continuing violations of the rights of children, in
particular
through the lack of conformity of the existing legal framework with
the Convention on the Rights of the Child, through conscription of
children into forced labour programmes, through their sexual
exploitation and exploitation by the military, through discrimination
against children belonging to ethnic and religious minority groups
and elevated rates of infant and maternal mortality and malnutrition;

(f) The escalation in the persecution of democratic group activists,
including elected representatives to the Parliament, students, trade
unionists and members of religious orders, for peacefully exercising
their rights to freedom of movement, expression, assembly and
association, and the Government's use of intimidatory measures to
force elected representatives and National League for Democracy
members to resign from their positions and to close their party
offices;

(g) The severe restrictions on the freedoms of opinion, expression,
assembly and association, the restrictions on citizens' access to
information, including censorship controls on all forms of domestic
media and many international publications, and the restrictions
imposed on citizens wishing to travel within the country and abroad,
including the denial of passports on political grounds, and gross
interference in private life, family, home or correspondence;

7. Calls upon the Government of Myanmar:

(a) To establish a constructive dialogue with the United Nations
system, including the human rights mechanisms, for the effective
promotion and protection of human rights in the country;

(b) To continue to cooperate with the Secretary-General or his
representative and to broaden this dialogue, including through
providing access to any person deemed appropriate by them, and to
implement their recommendations;

(c) To consider becoming a party to the International Covenant on
Civil and Political Rights, the International Covenant on Economic,
Social and Cultural Rights, the Convention against Torture and Other
Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, the
International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial
Discrimination and the Convention relating to the Status of Refugees
and its Protocol;

8. Urges the Government of Myanmar to cooperate fully, and without
further delay, with all United Nations representatives, in particular
the Special Rapporteur, to allow him urgently, without preconditions,
to conduct a field mission and to establish direct contacts with the
Government and all other relevant sectors of society, and thus to
enable him fully to discharge his mandate, and, in this context,
regrets that, notwithstanding the recent indications that serious
consideration would be given to a visit by the Special Rapporteur, he
has not so far been given permission to visit the country;

9. Strongly urges the Government of Myanmar:

(a) To implement fully the recommendations made by the Special
Rapporteur;

(b) To ensure full respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms,
including the freedoms of expression, association, movement and
assembly, the right to a fair trial by an independent and impartial
judiciary and the protection of the rights of persons belonging to
ethnic and religious minorities, and to put an end to violations of
the right to life and integrity of the human being, to the practices
of torture, abuse of women, forced labour and forced relocations and
to enforced disappearances and summary executions;

(c) To take urgent and meaningful measures to ensure the
establishment of democracy in accordance with the will of the people
as expressed in thedemocratic elections held in 1990 and, to this
end, to engage immediately and unconditionally in a genuine and
substantive dialogue with the leaders of political parties, including
Aung San Suu Kyi, and of ethnic minorities with the aim of achieving
national reconciliation and the restoration of democracy, and to
ensure that political parties and non-governmental organizations can
function freely, and in this context notes that the National League
for Democracy has established a committee to represent temporarily
members of Parliament elected in 1990 who are prevented by the
authorities from exercising their democratic mandate conferred on
them by the people of Myanmar;

(d) To take all appropriate measures to allow all citizens to
participate freely in the political process, in accordance with the
principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and to
accelerate the process of transition to democracy, in particular
through the transfer of power to democratically elected
representatives, the prevention of intimidation and repression of
political opponents and enabling the building up of a pluralistic
civil society with the active participation of its members;

(e) To release immediately and unconditionally those detained or
imprisoned for political reasons, including those in "government
guest houses", and to ensure their physical integrity and to permit
them to participate in a meaningful process of national
reconciliation;

(f) To improve conditions of detention, in particular in the field of
health protection, and to eliminate unnecessary restrictions imposed
on the detainees;

(g) To ensure the safety and well-being and freedom of movement of
all
political leaders, including Aung San Suu Kyi, and to permit
unrestricted communication with and physical access to Aung San Suu
Kyi and other political leaders;

(h) To fulfil its obligations under the Convention on the Rights of
the Child and under the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of
Discrimination against Women by bringing national legislation and
practice into conformity with these conventions, and to consider
signing and ratifying the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the
Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women;

(i) To implement fully the recommendations made by the Committee on
the Elimination of Discrimination against Women, in particular the
request to prosecute and punish those who violate the human rights of
women and to carry out human rights education and gender-
sensitization training, in particular for military personnel;

(j) And all other parties to the hostilities in Myanmar to respect
fully their obligations under international humanitarian law,
including article 3 common to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August
1949, to halt the use of weapons against the civilian population, to
protect all civilians, including children, women and persons
belonging to ethnic or religious minorities, from violations of
humanitarian law, to end the use of children as soldiers and to avail
themselves of services offered by impartial humanitarian bodies;

(k) To cease the widespread and systematic use of forced labour and
use of exploitative child labour, and to implement the
recommendations of the Commission of Inquiry of the International
Labour Organization regarding the implementation of the Forced Labour
Convention, 1930 (No. 29) of the International Labour Organization,
while noting the order by the Government of Myanmar issued in May
1999 directing that the power to requisition forced labour under the
Towns Act and the Village Act not be exercised, as well as the
invitation to visit, addressed to the  International Labour
Organization in October 1999;

(l) To adopt, as a matter of urgency, appropriate measures to fulfil
its obligations as a State party to the Freedom of Association and
Protection of the Right to Organize Convention, 1948 (No. 87) of the
International Labour Organization and to implement the conclusions of
the Commission of Inquiry of the International Labour Organization;

(m) To cease the laying of landmines, in particular as a means of
ensuring forced relocation, and to desist from the forced
conscription of civilians to serve as human minesweepers, as
indicated in the report of the Commission of Inquiry;

(n) To end the enforced displacement of persons and other causes of
refugee flows to neighbouring countries and to create conditions
conducive to their voluntary return and full reintegration in safety
and dignity, including returnees who have not been granted rights of
full citizenship, in close cooperation with the international
community, through the United Nations system and its specialized
agencies, governmental and intergovernmental organizations, as well
as non-governmental organizations;

(o) To fulfil its obligations to end impunity of perpetrators of
human
rights violations, including members of the military, and to
investigate and prosecute alleged violations committed by government
agents in all circumstances;

10. Decides:

(a) To extend the mandate of the Special Rapporteur, as contained in
Commission resolution 1992/58 of 3 March 1992, for a further year,
and
requests the Special Rapporteur to submit an interim report to the
General Assembly at its fifty-fifth session and to report to the
Commission at its fifty-seventh session, and to keep a gender
perspective in mind when seeking and analysing information;

(b) To request the Secretary-General to continue to give all
necessary
assistance to the Special Rapporteur to enable him to discharge his
mandate fully, and to pursue all efforts to ensure that the Special
Rapporteur is authorized to visit Myanmar;

(c) To request the Secretary-General to continue his discussions with
the Government on the situation of human rights and the restoration
of
democracy and with anyone he may consider appropriate in order to
assist in the implementation of General Assembly resolution 54/186
and of the present resolution;

(d) To request the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
to cooperate with the Director-General of the International Labour
Office with a view to identifying ways in which their offices might
usefully collaborate for the improvement of the human rights
situation in Myanmar;

(e) To request the Secretary-General to bring the present resolution
to the attention of all relevant parts of the United Nations system;

(f) To continue its consideration of this question at its fifty-
seventh session.

_________

* In accordance with rule 69, paragraph 3, of the rules of procedure
of the functional commissions of the Economic and Social
Council.

?  © Copyright 1996-2000 Office of the United Nations High Commissioner
for Human Rights Geneva, Switzerland

[this text, which includes oral amendments made on 18 April, is
subject to final editing - DNA]

You can also contact BurmaNet by phone or fax:

Voice mail +1 (435) 304-9274

Fax + (202) 318-1261