[theburmanetnews] BurmaNet News: Ap

Subject: [theburmanetnews] BurmaNet News: April 11, 2000

______________ THE BURMANET NEWS ______________
              An on-line newspaper covering Burma
________________ www.burmanet.org _________________

April 11, 2000

Issue # 1506

This edition of The BurmaNet News is viewable online at:

http://theburmanetnews.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$292

*Inside Burma

AFP: MYANMAR SLAMS EU OVER SANCTIONS

ABC WORLD NEWS TONIGHT: YOUNG BOY CONSIDERED MYSTICAL LEADER
OF GOD'S ARMY IN MYANMAR

XINHUA: MYANMAR'S FISH, PRAWN EXPORTS DROP SHARPLY IN 1999

XINHUA: MYANMAR'S RICE EXPORT FALLS SHARPLY IN 1999

MIC: ONE-YEAR DIPLOMA COURSES TO OPEN AT INSTITUTE OF
ECONOMICS

MTBR: SHANGRI-LA CALLS ON GOVERNMENT AND PRIVATE SECTOR TO
FORM TOURISM TASK FORCE

*International

REUTERS: BRITAIN PRESSURES OIL COMPANY TO PULL OUT OF BURMA

EU: BURMA/MYANMAR - COUNCIL CONCLUSIONS

AP: UN ENVOY TO VISIT MYANMAR NEXT MONTH, MEET WITH SUU KYI

THE HINDU (India) NAM ENDORSES DEMOCRACY NORM

LIBERATION (France): [DOCUMENTARY ON TOTAL IN BURMA TO AIR]

MIZZIMA: BURMESE DELEGATES FAILED TO TURN UP FOR INDO-BURMA
BORDER TRADE PROGRAM

*Opinion/Editorials

MANAGER (Thailand) THE GOVERNMENT STUMBLES OVER BURMESE GAS
PURCHASE, CAUSING THE PETROLEUM AUTHORITY OF THAILAND'S DEBTS
TO SOAR BY TEN BILLION BAHT

BURMA CAMPAIGN UK: EU FREEZE ON FUNDS OF BURMESE JUNTA IS A
WELCOME FIRST STEP TO TOUGHER SANCTIONS

NLM: [MINISTER'S REMARKS AT NAM CONFERENCE OPPOSING DEMOCRACY
CLAUSE]

FTUB: REMARKS OF GEN'L SECT'Y AT ICFTU ON BURMA LABOR

___________________ INSIDE BURMA ______________________

AFP: MYANMAR SLAMS EU OVER SANCTIONS

2000-04-11

BANGKOK, April 11 (AFP) - Myanmar criticized the EU on Tuesday
for its decision to keep sanctions against the military ruled
country for another six months and said it had yet to decide
if it would welcome a mission by senior envoys from the bloc.

"It is most regrettable that the European Union has decided to
continue the sanctions against Myanmar," a statement from the
junta spokesman said.

"There exists no grounds for such an action and it must be
considered as  being taken for political reasons."

Yngon said it had previously accepted a mission from top EU
envoys to exchange views "with the aim of presenting the true
situation in Myanmar."

"As for the prospects of receiving the new EU mission, Myanmar
will give due consideration when a concrete proposal is made."

EU foreign ministers met Monday in Luxembourg and voted to
keep sanctions in place against Myanmar, but agreed to send a
high-level diplomatic mission to Yangon and to explore
prospects for more humanitarian aid.

In a statement at their monthly meeting, the 15 ministers
reiterated their concern overt "he continuing and intensified
repression of civil and political rights" in the Southeast
Asian state.

Thus the EU will keep in place an export ban on equipment
"that might be used for internal repression or terrorism,"
along with a visa ban and a freeze on assets of members and
supporters of Myanmar's military regime. But the ministers
agreed to send a second "troika" mission to Yangon "to
make a further effort to explain and to promote the aims o the
EU's policy towards Myanmar" and establish dialogue.

A similar mission last year spent several days in the country
but was tightlipped about its aims and left without commenting
to the media. The EU troika consists of he union's president
and future presiding member states -- currently Portugal and
France -- plus the offices of EU foreign policy chief Javier
Solana and External Affairs Commissioner Chris Patten.

ABC WORLD NEWS TONIGHT: YOUNG BOY CONSIDERED MYSTICAL LEADER
OF GOD'S ARMY IN MYANMAR

(6:30 PM ET)
April 10, 2000, Monday

CHARLES GIBSON, anchor:

Also news tonight from a corner of the world often ignored.
For the first time the leader of the so-called God's Army in
Myanmar, formally Burma, has spoken out. And we purchased
footage of the interview. He commands, he says, 400,000
troops. He is thought by those troops to have extraordinary
powers. His name is Luther and he is only 12-years-old.

(VO) These are the faces of the Myanmar's armed struggle. And
these. And these. Half the soldiers in the so-called God's
Army haven't yet started to shave. They are part of the Karen
insurgency which has been fighting for its independency from
Myanmar for half a century.

Mr. JASON BLODTROY: It's not a savvy group. The group is not
savvy. And it didn't really have much of a message.

GIBSON: Jason Blodtroy, an American journalist recently met
with the group and Luther at a base camp in the jungles of
Thailand.

LUTHER: (Foreign language being spoken)

GIBSON: (VO) 'Our people will have freedom,' Luther says. 'We
love fighting the Burmese. And I want to smoke,' he adds. This
group which some describe as a Christian cult, believes that
Luther, along with his twin brother Johnny, are reincarnations
of past heroes. Possessing enormous mystical powers. They are
believed to be invulnerable to bullets as well as having
access to vast armies of invisible soldiers.

Mr. BLODTROY: I think he is somewhat of a mascot. And I think
that the people that do believe in them, that they in Karen
are desperate, have nowhere else to go.

GIBSON: (VO) To outsiders, Luther who seems to relish sitting
on someone's lap as much as chain smoking or fighting, appears
much more child like than God like.

Mr. BLODTROY: He was the type of kid that seemed like he
wanted a hug.

GIBSON: (VO) And yet he's a kid for whom many in that corner
of the world will willing fight and die.

(OC) When we come back, the Prozac nation. What are the long-
term consequences?

XINHUA: MYANMAR'S FISH, PRAWN EXPORTS DROP SHARPLY IN 1999

YANGON, April 10

Myanmar exported 47,700 tons of fish and prawn in 1999,
earning 123.6 million U.S. dollars of foreign exchange,
according to the latest figures issued by the country's
Central Statistical Organization. During the period, the
export volume and foreign exchange earnings of the fish and
prawn respectively fell by 23.55 percent and 26.42 percent
compared with 1998. Of the exports, fish accounted for 34,900
tons and prawn represented 12,800 tons. Myanmar annually
produces over 910,000 tons of fish and prawn, of which over
240,000 tons are fresh water fish and prawn, and over 670,000
tons are deep sea fish and prawn. Since Myanmar adopted the
open-door economic policy in late 1988, foreign investment in
the fishery sector has reached 197 million dollars in 11
projects.

XINHUA: MYANMAR'S RICE EXPORT FALLS SHARPLY IN 1999

YANGON, April 10

Myanmar exported a total of 63,700 tons of rice in 1999, a
drop of 42.97 percent compared with 1998 when it registered
111,700 tons, according to the latest figures of the country's
Central Statistical Organization. Due to population growth at
high rate, the demand for food continuously increases. In
recent years, Myanmar's rice export has been at a trend of
down-sliding. To meet the daily increasing food demand,
Myanmar has, since January 1999, leased out 400,000 hectares
of vacant and virgin lands for cultivation to private
entrepreneurs, and introduced policies of privilege including
exempting the import duties on agricultural implements.
According to official statistics, Myanmar's cultivable land
covers 18.22 million hectares, of which 9.31 million hectares
have been utilized with 8.91 million hectares remaining to be
reclaimed.

MIC: ONE-YEAR DIPLOMA COURSES TO OPEN AT INSTITUTE OF
ECONOMICS

April 11, 2000

Myanmar Information Committee

Information  Sheet
No.B-1326 (I)            11th April 2000

        Institute of Economics Yangon will open Diploma in
Economic (DES), Diploma in Accounting (DS) and Diploma
in Management (DMA). Employees from government
departments and those who are working for private
companies can apply for admission

MTBR: SHANGRI-LA CALLS ON GOVERNMENT AND PRIVATE SECTOR TO
FORM TOURISM TASK FORCE

[From the Myanmar Times web edition of April 3-9, 2000
A LEADING hotelier in the Asia-Pacific region has called upon
the government and private sector to form an industry task
force and map out a new and exciting blueprint for Myanmar''s
tourist industry in the new millenium.

""I understand that the Government doesn''t have all the
expertise, capital or human resources to conduct such a
detailed study. Let the private sector join hand-in-hand with
you to develop a new five year plan for tourism,"" said
Richard Chapman, Area Manager for the prestigious Shangri-La
Group.

Such a task force''s first responsibility should be to
identify the priorities in the tourism sector, he said
exclusively to Myanmar Times.

""It can start off moderately and our group would be delighted
to help in any way to develop the industry here. We are the
leading hotel group in the region so it could be
appropriate,"" he said.

""I would make resources of the Shangri-La Group available to
the Ministry of Tourism or any other government body to help -
including using the expertise of our staff to help establish
such a task force. We''d love to.""

Mr Chapman''s group runs five-star hotels and apartment
complexes in most major cities in the region including
Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Manila and
Jakarta.

The company also owns the downtown located Traders Hotel,
Yangon''s most popular up-market hotel.

Mr Chapman, a veteran of 25 years in hospitality in the region
has a solid feel for the region including long stints in Hong
Kong, the Philippines, Japan, Taiwan and Malaysia, and said
the potential in Myanmar was extraordinary.
""I also worked in Bangkok for four years and I saw its
success story in tourism. Inevitably it will be greater
here.""

He stressed that Myanmar had aspects which made it unique in
the region: ""The cultural significance of the country is
enormous. It''s great value and a very attractive place.
""Tourists will flow in if a couple of intercontinental
carriers can strike deals. It will make a major difference to
boosting the numbers of visitors.
""Tourism starts to value add when operators can compete for
cheaper tickets. It is the cost of flying which is the major
burden for these operators to bear. The other ingredients are
already in place so air access remains the number one key.""
Mr Chapman stated that shopping was inexpensive in Yangon
compared to Hong Kong or Bangkok and tourists could find a
myriad of things to do once they arrived in-country.
The Shangri-La Group was one of the first to spend heavily in
Myanmar during the boom years of the 1990s. As well as
Regency Apartments the project envisaged the most up-market
serviced apartments in the nation, but put a halt to building
in 1998    during the currency crisis which swept through SE Asia.
Another plan was to build a Shangri-La Hotel in the capital -
in the true five-star tradition of the group.

Mr Chapman said he was not moving urgently to re-start the
project yet.
""We''ll watch the other serviced apartments for a while.
Perhaps at the end of the year we''ll revisit it,"" he said.
The hotel would have to wait, he commented.
The Shangri-La Group has three aspects to its organisation
The Shangri-La Hotel; The Traders Branch which offers high
service levels and five-star facilities together with
facilities for the regional business and leisure traveler,
and; Resorts which are scattered throughout the region.

In all the Shangri-La Group, controlled by the Hong Kong
tycoon Robert Kuok has 37 Hotels and resorts in 10 Asian
countries with more than 19,000 rooms.
On an earlier trip to Yangon, Mr Chapman also had made a call
to tourism related ministries to promote the country, saying
that although facing limitations Myanmar should contemplate
creating a budget to promote its them because of the high
budget, high profile performance of places like Hong Kong and
Singapore. They had such good promotional material. Myanmar
has a opportunity to expose itself by the internet and CD-ROM
to boost its push for tourists, and should do so,"" he said.

""Certainly one of the best ways is to trade in on the boom in
Indochina travel. Piggy-back off the Bangkok success because
it is a major hub for travelers.

""As well I have to say that Cambodia has done an outstanding
job in allowing the Thai infrastructure to support them. It
gave access for Thai''s regional carrier, Bangkok Airways, to
fly into Siem Riep. It started with one flight a day but now I
believe it is up to five flights every day. That''s big
numbers for tourism. The value adds really come into play then.
""Thailand is also at saturation point for resorts with
quality beaches. But just across the border is unspoiled
country. I encourage the Myanmar people and the Thais to work
together,"" he said.
""When I worked in Malaysia I used to push the Singaporeans to
work with the Malaysian tourism industry. You could apply a
similar concept here.""

___________________ INTERNATIONAL _____________________

REUTERS: BRITAIN PRESSURES OIL COMPANY TO PULL OUT OF BURMA

2000-04-11

By Dominic Evans

LONDON, April 11 (Reuters) - Britain, trying to pile
pressure on Myanmar over its poor human rights record, said on
Tuesday it had urged exploration firm Premier Oil Plc (PMO.L)
pull out of a major gas project in the military-ruled state.
Foreign Office Minister John Battle said he asked the firm's
chief executive Charles Jamieson two weeks ago to leave the
Yetagun gas project in which Premier has a $200 million stake.
``Our views are very clear. We are asking them to withdraw
where they can. Not to break the law, but to negotiate and
withdraw,'' Battle told reporters.

Describing Myanmar's rulers as a ``disgraceful regime,''
Battle cited what he said was a record of killings, forced
relocations, forced labour, lack of press freedoms, and
repression of ethnic minorities in the country.
``Burma (Myanmar) has one of the worst human rights records
in the world and so far shows no sign of improving,'' Battle
said. ``Against that background we have worked to ratchet up
the
pressure.''

He said the renewed pressure on Premier came as Britain was
pushing its European partners to take a harder line against
Myanmar. The International Labour Organisation had also
denounced the country's record on forced labour and was
preparing moves against it.

``Burma's record on enforced labour, and allegations of
child labour, is the worst in the world,'' Battle said.
He declined to say what Premier's response was to his plea
which he described as ``not new or unexpected.'' It followed a
similar request nearly two years ago. The final decision
rested
with the company, he said.

Last month Premier described developing its Asian gas
projects as a priority. Production from Yetagun is expected to
begin in 2003.

``We are concerned they are still there and want them to
come out. They are the major British investor,'' Battle said,
adding that the ``continued presence of reputable companies
encourages Burma (Myanmar) to flout international opinion.''

BRITAIN WANTS PRESSURE THROUGH EU
Battle said Britain would not take action to force Premier
into withdrawing from Myanmar and was instead trying to
maintain
EU-wide pressure.

In moves led by Britain and Denmark to tighten sanctions on
Myanmar, EU foreign ministers banned the export on Monday of
``equipment that might be used for internal repression or
terrorism.''

They also agreed to publish the names of the officials
affected by the visa ban and to impose a freeze on the funds
held abroad by these people.

Those moves, together with any step taken by the ILO, would
``intensify international pressure on the Burma regime with
the
view to getting them to take action on their human rights
situation,'' Battle said.

But the EU also held out an olive branch by agreeing to send
a delegation to Myanmar to try to improve relations and
proposed
a high-level meeting with ASEAN, the regional group with which
the EU has been at odds over Myanmar's membership.
It also agreed to ask the EU's executive European Commission
to look at the possibilities for increased cooperation with
Myanmar but gave no details.

The EU imposed sanctions because of the treatment of the
opposition led by Nobel peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi. Her
party won an election in 1990 by a landslide but the military
ignored the result and detained many of its members.

EU: BURMA/MYANMAR - COUNCIL CONCLUSIONS

2254. Council - GENERAL AFFAIRS (provisional version)
Press Release: Luxembourg (10-04-2000) - Press: 101 - Nr:
7533/00

7533/00 (Presse 101)
PROVISIONAL AND INCOMPLETE VERSION

PRESS RELEASE
Subject :
2254th Council meeting
- GENERAL AFFAIRS -
Luxembourg, 10 April 2000

BURMA/MYANMAR - Council conclusions

The Council expressed its concern at the situation in
Burma/Myanmar, in particular the continuing and intensified
repression of civil and political rights, as well as the harsh
conditions hindering the people's enjoyment of economic,
social and cultural rights. It once again urged the Burmese
authorities to respect human rights, restore democracy and
engage in a dialogue with the opposition that could lead to
national reconciliation in a united and democratic State. It
therefore agreed:

- to extend the common position on Burma/Myanmar for a further
six months, and at the same time, to

a) ban the export of equipment that might be used for internal
repression or terrorism;

b) strengthen the visa regime in place by naming those in the
regime and its supporters to whom it applied; by agreement of
all Member States, the ban on the issue of an entry visa for
the Foreign Minister may be waived where it is in the
interests of the EU; and

c) impose a freeze on the funds held abroad by those same
persons.

- to make a further effort to explain and to promote the aims
of the EU's policy towards Burma/Myanmar through the
establishment of a meaningful political dialogue. To that end,
the EU will send a second Troika mission to Rangoon/Yangon;
and

- to invite the Commission to examine the possibilities for
increased
humanitarian aid to Burma/Myanmar

EU-ASEAN

The Council reaffirmed the importance of the EU-ASEAN
relationship and agreed to propose to ASEAN that a Ministerial
meeting be held in Asia in the course of 2000, which will be
prepared by a senior officials' meeting during the Portuguese
Presidency.

AP: UN ENVOY TO VISIT MYANMAR NEXT MONTH, MEET WITH SUU KYI
2000-04-11

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) _ The United Nations' newly
appointed envoy to Myanmar said Tuesday he planned to visit
the Southeast Asian nation next month and meet with pro-
democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Razali Ismail, a Malaysian diplomat appointed earlier this
month by U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan. said his first
task would be to win the confidence and support of the
government and opposition. Asked by the national Bernama news
agency if human rights would top the agenda in talks with
Myanmar's leaders, he said: ``I do not want to say that I am
going there for human rights.''

Myanmar, also known as Burma, has faced repeated censure from
the United Nations for human rights abuses and for refusing to
recognize the 1990 general election victory of the party
headed by
Suu Kyi, winner of the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize.

The U.N. General Assembly and Human Rights Commission have
asked Annan to try to end the country's isolation by opening a
dialogue with government and opposition leaders.

In naming Razali to the post, Annan said he hoped the diplomat
would be able to help Myanmar implement a General Assembly
resolution adopted in December that urges Myanmar's government
to stop widespread human rights violations.

It also calls for Myanmar to ``take all necessary steps'' to
restore democracy, open a dialogue with Suu Kyi and other
political leaders and to immediately release political
prisoners. Suu Kyi was under house arrest for six years before
her release in 1995, but her movements and political
activities remain heavily restricted.

``There is a mandate from the United Nations, the stand of the
Myanmar government and also the wishes of the Myanmar people.
So we have to combine all these to find a solution,'' Razali
said.

THE HINDU (India) NAM ENDORSES DEMOCRACY NORM

"The Hindu" newspaper
Date: April 11, 2000.

By K. V. Krishnaswamy

Cartagena(Colombia), April 10: The non-aligned movement late
on Sunday night took an apparent leap forward in its
evolution, breaking away from the beaten path and proclaiming
a new political culture that seeks to give the principles of
democracy the primacy of place among its large membership.

 The declaration incorporating the democracy norm was approved
by the 13th ministerial meeting of the Non-Aligned Movement's
Foreign Ministers at the conclusion of two days of
deliberations, which stretched late into the night. It must be
approved by the summit of the organization, scheduled to
convene in Dhaka, Bangladesh, in the summer of next year,
to become ready for implementation. There is no guarantee it
will or can be given the organization's disparate membership.

 If the democracy norm is accepted, there will be three ready
candidates who will face expulsion. Two of them are in India's
neighbourhood: Pakistan and Myanmar, former Burma. The third
is Ivory Coast. All three have until next year to comply.

 The democracy promise was inserted through a deft manoeuvre
that served to minimize opposition and ensured greater
support.

 The incorporation of the norm, the first such in the 40-year-
old organization's chequered history must be deemed a triumph
of sorts for Indian diplomacy. Officials stressed that their
target was not Pakistan and that they drew inspiration from
the action of the Organization of African Unity, which, at its
summit in Algiers, adopted the path-breaking principle. They
saw every justification for extending to the non-aligned
movement a yardstick for membership that has been found
to be good enough for the OAU, which groups African nations.

Besides, many of the OAU members are also concurrently in the
NAM.

LIBERATION (France): [DOCUMENTARY ON TOTAL IN BURMA TO AIR]

April 11, 2000

[Excerpt]

Tonight, the french TV, Canal Plus will broadcast a
documentary "Total in Burma : the other scandal". In this
report, the journalists have interviewed some refugees and
soldiers that are in the border, witnessing there duties... On
this video, journalists give some proofs that can't be refuted
easily. Michel Viallar - head of Total Myanmar when he is in
front of the evidence has no choice to recognize the reality
of forced labour, as he contradicts himself absurdly.

The most incredible is a last scene of the video : invited by
Total corporation for a guided visit on their construction
area "to sweep away all doubts" about those practises that
have "never existed", the journalists face the reality. After
a little road, as they (french journalists and head of Total
Myanmar) are driving near the pipe, some villagers under
orders of Burmese militaries are cleaning the pipe area.

Read in Liberation, french daily paper 11 avril 2000.
Free transcription by Farid GHEHIOUECHE

New Delhi, April 11, 2000
Mizzima News Group

The three-day seminar-cum-awareness program on the Indo-
Myanmar Border Trade, which is being held in Imphal, Manipur
State of India, entered its second day without the
participation of Burmese delegation. The seven member
delegates from Burma were supposed to come from Tamu
(Burmese side), about 5 km far from Moreh, the last border
town of Manipur. Mizzima News Group has learnt that Burmese
authorities had already informed the Indian authorities in
Moreh that they would not be able to participate in the
program, without mentioning any specific reason.

Therefore, only Indian participants comprising of traders,
entrepreneurs, and representatives of Manipur States' Commerce
and Industry Ministry and some non-governmental organizations
are conducting the deliberations in the program.

According to Mr. Bwi Jamani, Officer on Special Duty, Export-
Import, Indo-Myanmar Border Trade, Commerce and Industry
Ministry, Government of India, some of the main suggestions
which came out from the deliberations so far are: (1) to
review the current limitation of exchangeable items (22 items)
of the border trade, (2) to improve communication facilities
and to develop Moreh to be a major trading center, and (3) to
reduce the current custom tariff.

Participants also suggested that there should be less check
gates and tax-collecting centers along the border route
between Imphal and Moreh in India side.

Mr. W Nipamacha, Chief Minister of Manipur, in his address in
the inaugural session of the program yesterday said that India
has agreed to import rice from Burma through border trade
routes.

Manipur, with a population of about two million, is in
shortage of rice and it is currently importing rice from other
states of India such as Andhra Pradesh and Punjab. Mr. Jamani
said that importing rice from Burma would be much cheaper than
importing from other Indian states.

Under the bilateral border trade agreement, which was signed
in January 1994, total 22 exchangeable items are listed to be
traded between the two countries on barter system. However,
medicines, spices, Stainless steel and textiles are mostly
exported to Burma while India imports mainly food, electronic
goods and garments.

The border trade, which was operationalised in April 1995, is
currently mainly conducted through Tamu-Moreh route and
another trade route between Rid-Zokhutha (Chin State of Burma
and Mizoram State) is to be operationalised soon. Some other
routes in Manipur and Nagaland states are also in the
suggestion to be looked into for trading.

To boost up the border trade, Indian government has been
organizing seminar-cum-awareness programs on Indo-Burma border
trade in Manipur State since 1994.

 _________________OPINION/EDITORIALS___________________

MANAGER (Thailand) THE GOVERNMENT STUMBLES OVER BURMESE GAS
PURCHASE,CAUSING THE PETROLEUM AUTHORITY OF THAILAND'S DEBTS
TO SOAR BY TEN BILLION BAHT

[Summary translation from a Thai language editorial of April
7, 2000]

The pending Thai-Burmese gas project has regrettably
ignited conflict among Thai agencies concerned apparently
because of irresponsibility on the part of the Thai Government
and vested earnings by certain interest groups.  Like its
previous monetary liberalization and neglect to adequately
examine the financial sector resulting in the country's
economic downfall, this problem seems to have originated from
the  Government's hidden agenda intended for its own political
gains.  This Government has fallen into disgrace since its
very beginning, starting with its alliance with a large number
of unscrupulous politicians and ending in aggravating economic
crisis because of the PM's reliance on a single person who is
highly self-centered.  We would like to call on the newly
elected Senators to duly see to the helpless people's
suffering from their administrators' misdeeds.  Under such
circumstance, the Government's obstinate stay in office could
only add to mounting anti-government public sentiment.  -
Manager editorial

BURMA CAMPAIGN UK: EU FREEZE ON FUNDS OF BURMESE JUNTA IS A
WELCOME FIRST STEP TO TOUGHER SANCTIONS

April 11, 2000

Today the European Union (EU) agreed three new measures to
toughen its position against Burma's military dictatorship.
The EU agreed a ban on the export of equipment that might be
used for internal repression or terrorism; the naming of
individuals within the regime to whom the current EU visa ban
applies; and the imposition of a freeze on the funds held
abroad by those named persons.

The freezing of financial assets of senior Burmese personnel
is the first direct financial sanction against Burma's
dictatorship and is welcomed by The Burma Campaign UK.  It
will send an important message to the Generals in Rangoon that
they cannot continue to rule against the will of their own
people with impunity.  However, though these new measures are
welcome, they do not address the most important aspect of
European support for the regime, namely foreign investment.
Investment from European companies in Burma provides the
regime with the foreign capital it desperately needs. British
investment is larger than most other foreign sources of
capital.

The Burma Campaign UK proved at the High Court in December
1999 that the UK could legally impose a unilateral ban on
British investment in Burma. This would affect British
companies like Premier Oil UK, which is a major supporter of
the junta.  Aung San Suu Kyi, leader of the democratically
elected National League for Democracy (which has been denied
power by the military) has called for unilateral sanctions.
She says: "We would like  the world to be aware that sanctions
do help the movement for democracy in Burma. And we would like
them to be aware of the fact that unilateral sanctions are
better than no sanctions at all."  She has explicitly called
for unilateral investment sanctions against the regime in the
absence of multilateral agreement on such sanctions.

John Jackson, a Director of the Burma Campaign UK says: "The
EU's decision to freeze the funds of Burma's generals is an
extremely important first step. However, the real goal must be
to stop European companies fuelling the awful oppression
suffered by Burma's people.  Now that there is a warmer
climate for economic sanctions in Europe, the UK government
can  take this opportunity to impose unilateral investment
sanctions against Burma".

FTUB: REMARKS OF GEN'L SECT'Y AT ICFTU ON BURMA LABOR

Federation of Trade Unions Burma

International Confederation of Free Trade Unions
17th Congress
Durban - South Africa
7th April 2000

On behalf of the democratic movement of Burma and the workers and
farmers of Burma, I would like to thank the international trade
union movement for the support that has been given over the
years.

In his speech, the director general of the ILO had mentioned our
country's bad record on forced labor and how the present regime's
refusal to apply the recommendation of the Commissions of
Inquiry's findings that led the Governing Body of the ILO to for
the first time in it's 80 years to invoke Article 33 of it's
Constitution.

We want to clarify that what is taking place at the ILO is not
a western idea being imposed on an Asian country.

Under the mismanagement of successive military regimes, from
being one of the biggest producers of rice, the country has
become a less developed country with a totally ruined
economically.

The people of Burma had waited for a quarter of a century for an
Asian solution but over the years the military regime had
increased their killing, arresting and harassment for activities
related to workers rights and human rights.

Because of all these in 1988 we, the people staged a people's
uprising. As there was no media and international access, the
military managed to suppress the uprising. I was the President
of the All Burma Mining Union at that time and I was dismissed
for my trade union activities.

Since that time, we came to the international community to speak
out by ourselves.

We, the people of Burma had documented the forced labor, forced
relocations in our country, brought about by the military regime
against the people of Burma.

We had sent the documentation to the ICFTU and the ICFTU had
carried on to the ILO through the workers delegates.

In 1996 we presented the documentation through the ICFTU and the
ETUC to have the GSP with drawn from Burma

In line with what the ILO has done to stop forced labor in our
country, we would like to request from all trade unions that
before coming to this year's ILC in June, that they communicate
with the Burmese embassies in your countries and try to find out
answers on what the regime of Burma has done to address the ILO's
complaints.

On our part, we will send the updated forced labor after last
year's ILO resolution so that you all can see whether the
military regime does what it says to the international community.

Then, with the reply given by the respective embassies the Trade
union delegates we request that you brief your country's
delegation.
It will help to:
1. Give your country's delegation the proper input
2. Burma regime will see a follow up from the ILO's resolution
and understand the strength of the unions who are supporting the
ILO.

There was a conference held on Burma in Kathmandu by the ICFTU
/IOCFTU-APRO/ ITSs and national unions. We thank the Nepal Trade
Union Congress and Brother Laxman Basnet for taking the political
risk to host this conference in the region.

There was a Burma Campaign committee formed. The committee
composes of two representatives from ICFTU-APRO, two from ITSs
and representative from FTUB. There are also campaigns and
activities laid out in the various workshops.

We are really encouraged as this was an Asian initiative.

Now, from our part, we call upon the national unions of Africa,
South and North America and Europe to join us in the campaign so
that it becomes a truly international campaign.

The ILO has come out in an unprecedented move by invoking Article
33.We need the help of you all on an international scope to
implement the enforcement actions to stop the workers rights
violations, forced labor, forced relocations, child labor,
religious persecutions in Burma

Once again, on behalf of the democratic movement of Burma and the
workers and farmers of Burma, I would like to thank the
international trade union movement for the support that has been
given over the years.

We are confident that with the help from you all, we will win and
establish an independent trade union movement in Burma.

Thank you all.

Maung Maung
General Secretary

NLM: [MINISTER'S REMARKS AT NAM CONFERENCE OPPOSING DEMOCRACY
CLAUSE]

New Light of Myanmar

Noble  institutions  of United Nations System being
    used by strong  nations to further their national
    interest and to exert undue pressure on developing
    countries

YANGON, 10 April -The  following is a policy  statement
delivered by Minister for Foreign Affairs U Win Aung at
the plenary session of 13th  Ministerial  Conference of
the Non-Aligned  Movement held in Cartagena,  Colombia,
on 8 April:

On behalf of the Government of the Union of Myanmar and
on my own, I would  like to  congratulate  you on  your
assumption  as the  Chairman  of  this  very  important
meeting, the Thirteenth  Ministerial  Conference of the
Non-Aligned  countries.  With your outstanding  ability
and wealth of experience, I have every  confidence that
the deliberations in this important  Conference will be
guided to a fruitful conclusion.

I would also like to take this  opportunity  to express
our deep  appreciation to the Government and the people
of  Colombia  for  their  warm  welcome  and   generous
hospitality extended to us as well as for the excellent
arrangements made for this important event.

As we enter the 21st century, the world is encountering
many  challenges-challenges  with  regard  to the basic
question  of  peace  and  security,  and  comprehensive
social  and   economic   development.  Today,  we,  the
Members of  Non-Aligned  Movement are gathered  here to
assess the profound and  significant  changes that have
taken  place in the  world  order.  The end of the cold
war  had   brought   high   hopes  and  new   promises.
Unconstrained by ideological rivalry.  we had hoped for
in a more balanced and equitable world which would make
possible  enhanced  cooperation  and  an  international
environment  conducive to development,  particularly of
the developing countries.

The promise did not  materialize  our hopes were dashed
in the face of a new reality  where strong and powerful
states  unilaterally  impose and project their national
laws.and  national values beyond their  boundaries.  We
are faced with an international order, where the strong
and the  powerful  attempt  to mould the world in their
image,  insisting that their  standard be it political,
social or cultural as conditionalities  for cooperative
interaction.

Our  movement  was  born in an era  when  peace  loving
developing countries who do not wish to ally themselves
with  either  of the  two  antagonistic  blocs  in  the
ideological conflict grouped together to find unity and
maintain independence.

At  the  dawn  of  the  new  century,  the   developing
countries are faced with an international  environment,
where the  strong  still  persist  in their  design  to
impose  their  value  on  others.  We  are  faced  with
reality where even the noble institutions of the United
Nations  System are being used by the strong to further
their national  interest and to exert undue pressure on
developing  countries.  Under these  circumstances  the
need  for  unity  among  the  member  countries  of the
Non-Aligned Movement is now greater than ever.

In a rapidly globalizing world, a great majority of the
world  community  has many shared  values and  concerns
regarding  important issues of today?building a modern,
developed  and  prosperous  nation  where the people of
Myanmar can live in larger freedom in an environment of
peace and  stability.  Towards that end the  government
is  building a firm  foundation  for  democracy  in our
country.

We are however greatly  distressed by a dangerous trend
the  increasing  tendency to use, or rather  misuse the
issues of Democracy,  Human Rights and  Environment  by
strong and powerful  countries to put undue pressure on
developing  countries in the interest  furthering their
hidden political or economic agenda.

In this they  have the  developing  countries  at great
disadvantage  because they also have at their  disposal
the international  media.  While unfounded  allegations
regarding  developing  countries feature prominently in
the  international  media,  the  positive  developments
achieved by these countries are scantly mentioned.  The
developing  countries  find  themselves  in  situations
where  negatives  are  accentuated  and  the  positives
completely   ignored.  This  is  a  trend,   which  the
Non-Aligned  Countries  must resist.  We can not resist
it  individually.  But  surely we can do so if we stand
united.

Turning to own experience,  Myanmar has been the target
of political  pressure by some western countries and is
falsely  accused of  practising  forced  labour.  It is
regrettable  that despite our efforts to cooperate with
the  ILO,  these  countries  persist  in  carrying  out
concerted action to take

drastic  measures  against  Myanmar at the  forthcoming
International  Labour  Conference.  We  hope  that  the
members of the NAM will see this  attempt  as it really
is a coercive action taken against a fellow  developing
country for reason entirely  unrelated to the promotion
of rights of  labour.  We hope  that we can  count on .
the full  understanding  and  support  from  fellow NAM
Members.

The  Non-Aligned  Movement is comprised  of states with
diverse political, economic and social systems.  We are
however united in opposing  colonialism and aggression,
ensuring  respect  for  the  sovereignty,   territorial
integrity and independence of states.  We are steadfast
in    upholding    such    cardinal    principles    as
non-interference in the internal affairs of each other,
maintaining and safeguarding international security and
faithfully  observing adherence to the basic principles
and norms of international conduct.

Myanmar  as  a  founding  member  of  the  Movement  is
committed to the ideals and the principles of Movement,
which has stood us in good stead,  particularly  during
difficult  times.  We are  also of the  view  that  our
Movement  should  welcome any country that  believes in
out  principles  and  is  capable  of  fulfilling   the
obligations  as a  member.  Over the  years  we see our
Movement  being  enriched by induction  of new members.
In this regard  Myanmar  hopes to see the  creation  of
conditions  which would enable the Federal  Republic of
Yugoslavia  to  rejoin   soonest  the  Movement   which
Yugoslavia has been a founding  member.  Myanmar wishes
that day will arrive in the very near  future  where we
can all welcome the Federal  Republic of  Yugoslavia in
our midst.

Peace  and   security,  is   essential   for   economic
development  of all nations.  Myanmar, in line with her
independent and active foreign policy and upholding the
principles of peaceful coexistence,  maintains friendly
ties with all the  nations  of the  world.  During  the
past years, we were able to enhance our  cooperation in
the region and  maintain  friendly  relations  with all
countries.  We  are  convinced   that  in  the  rapidly
changing  world, the need to cooperate with one another
in the interest of  maintaining  peace,  stability  and
prosperity  of the entire  mankind is more  urgent than
ever.  This is true in thc  political  arena.  This  is
true in the economic sphere as well.

The  Non-Aligned  Countries have always  attached great
importance  to economic  issue , which have come to the
forefront  of  international  relations.  The sphere of
international economic has long since become one of the
main areas of activity of the Non-Aligned Countries.

We,   developing   countries,   have  high  hopes  that
globalization,  as a powerful  force, would  strengthen
cooperation and accelerate growth and development among
all   countries.  Although   substantial   growth   and
economic  progress have been  achieved in the developed
countries,   most  of  the  developing   countries  are
encountering  uncertainty  and  the  risk  of  becoming
further  marginalized.  In the new century, we continue
to face the reality where the developing countries have
little say in economic and financial  issues which have
a direct  bearing  on the  economic  welfare  of a vast
majority  of the people of the  world.  The  developing
countries  are  faced  with  the  impossible   task  of
managing their  domestic  economies in an  increasingly
integrated  global  economy.  The East  Asian  economic
crisis has been an  awakening  call.  We saw that these
countries,  despite their sound economic  fundamentals,
lost in a matter of months, assets and wealth which had
taken them decades to accumulate.

The East Asian crisis is a crisis of globalization.  It
is a crisis  which also poses a global  systemic  risk.
It clearly  underlines  the need for the  reform of the
international financial system.  In this reform process
the  developing  countries  must  have  a  say  in  the
restructuring    of   the    international    financial
architecture.  Our voice  must be  addressed.  However,
this will not happen if we do not have  unity.  Without
unity  we  will  be   marginalized.  individually   and
collectively.  In this news  century  unity  among  the
members of the Movement is more urgent than ever.

In a rapidly  globalizing world our Movement has gained
recognition as a forum where the  developing  countries
can come together to explore new venues for cooperation
for mutual  benefit.  Our  Movement  can find  strength
only in unity.  In an unbalanced and unequitable  world
order our common  interest  will only be secured  if we
cooperate.  We  can   avoid   marginalization   of  our
Movement can speak with one voice.

My delegation, on its part, is ready to work with other
members at this  Conference  so that our  Movement  can
consolidate its unity,  enhancing its  cooperation  and
work for the genuine political  independence,  economic
development  and social  progress  of all its  members.
Thank you.

You can also contact BurmaNet by phone or fax:

Voice mail +1 (435) 304-9274

Fax +1 (810)454-4740