The BurmaNet News: January 31, 2000

=========== The BurmaNet News ===========
January 31, 2000
Issue # 1450

NOTED IN PASSING:  "Now they are pounding us with cannons. Our base is
shaking like an earthquake while I am writing this letter. Many
villagers have been wounded including kids and women. At least
fifty-three are dead. If this situation continues we will be dead soon.
I have to do something to stop the shelling as soon as possible... This
might be the last letter from me because I do not know if I will survive
or not."

     Letter from Ye Thiha of the VBSW written just
     before they seized the hospital at Ratchaburi.
     See VBSW: "WE ARE PLANNING ANOTHER OPERATION"

=========
Headlines
=========

International--
VBSW: "WE ARE PLANNING ANOTHER OPERATION"

AFP: SUU KYI PARTY CONDEMNS THAI HOSTAGE DRAMA

NPR WEEKEND EDITION: CHILDREN AT WAR

ABC WORLD NEWS TONIGHT: GOD'S ARMY MILITIA OVERRUN BY BURMESE ARMY

BANGKOK POST: NEW PRESIDENT CALLS FOR ALL KAREN UNITS TO COME TOGETHER

MIZZIMA: BURMESE TRADERS AT A LOSS IN LEGAL BORDER TRADE WITH BANGLADESH
===

Inside Burma--
ABFSU: PARTIAL LIST OF JOURNALISTS IN CUSTODY IN BURMA

SAPPB: CALL FOR RELEASE OF THREE POLITICAL PRISONERS ON HEALTH GROUNDS

NLM: TWO TIPITAKADHARA TIPITAKAKOVIDA SAYADAWS EMERGE

===
Editorial--

KRUNGTHEP TURAKIJ (Thailand): RETHINK OUR SECURITY NEEDS
===

Other--

BOOK RELEASE--FINANCIAL RESOURCES FOR DEVELOPMENT IN MYANMAR

states was written to him by Ye Thiha, one of the men who seized the
hospital in Ratchaburi.  Htun Aung Gyaw did not indicate whether the
letter was originally in English or whether this is a translation.]

===

Ko Htun,
Date 18-01-2000

I am heartened to make contact with you. We have a lot to discuss. Our
recent situation in the Kamaplaw region of the mountains is not good at
all. It is likely that we will lose our base soon. The enemy troops,
consisting of four regiments led by Colonel Soe Thein, are approaching
our base. The name of the operation is "Tain Yan Naing". Their target is
to overrun our base before Revolutionary day ( March 27).

Also, Thai authorities have sealed the border and cut off all the
support lines such as food, medicine, and border crossing. We are facing
many difficulties. We have been under attack from both sides. In order
to please Rangoon, the Thai are targeting the "God Army" because we
lived with the God Army. They report our movements to the enemy all the
time.

Now they are pounding us with cannons. Our base is shaking like an
earthquake while I am writing this letter. Many villagers have been
wounded including kids and women. At least fifty-three are dead. If this
situation continues we will be dead soon. I have to do something to stop
the shelling as soon as possible. Our base was almost shattered because
of the heavy bombardment. Please do something for us. Let the
international people know that a lot of innocent villagers were killed
without any reason. Try to pressure the Thai to stop pounding the
region.

This might be the last letter from me because I do not know if I will
survive or not. We have no choice left here. I have to stop the bombing
somehow. Peoples? lives are in great danger. I do not care about my own
life, but I care about the others?. I know that after the Thai attack,
the Burmese troops will rush in and kill all of us, including civilians.

It is a really bad time. If I survive, we will talk about our future. I
need support from our comrades for our struggle. If they can arrange
financial, intellectual, and material support to us it would be great.

It is our national cause. All of us have a duty to do it. We have not
sought any funding from NGOs or any other organizations. I will not ask
for financial support for my own survival, ever.

Here, people talk about revolution as a seasonal job; it is very hard to
find a person who has a long-term commitment. I see a sansara [cycle] of
meetings, conferences, and publishing newsletters, under the name of
revolution, again and again without improvement. It is not a real
revolution. If I survive, we will give the revolution a new breath of
life, with committed people, a new outlook and a new approach.

I support Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's non-violent means, because if she
succeeds, there would be no bloodshed. It is the best option for our
country, and we, the Vigorous Burmese Student Warriors (VBSW),
wholeheartedly support this option. But we do not want to sit and wait
in order to see the change. We want to do something significant which
will catch the world?s attention to push for change and save our
motherland from the darkness as soon as possible.

We are planning another operation. I know a lot of people within our
circle will disagree with me for doing this, including you, because this
time we have to face the Thai military, not our enemy, the Burmese army.

I have no choice, but this operation might help us to stop bombing, or
else we all might die. I will assure you that we will not kill any
civilians. If I die, please keep the attached letter for my parents;
give it to them when we get democracy.

Faithfully to the revolution,

Ye Thiha
Kamaplaw Base
Thai-Burma Border

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
AFP: SUU KYI PARTY CONDEMNS THAI HOSTAGE DRAMA
Agence France Presse

January 28, 2000, Friday

YANGON, Jan 28

   Aung San Suu Kyi's opposition party has condemned Myanmar rebels who
seized a Thai hospital and took more than 500 patients hostage.

In a statement received here Friday, the National League for Democracy
(NLD) condemned the rebels for taking patients hostage in Ratchaburi
hospital, west of Bangkok on Monday.

"We cannot accept the seizure of a hospital together with the patients
and the hospital staff," said the statement, dated Wednesday and issued
by the party's parliamentary committee.

"This is unacceptable, this terrorist act -- the party seriously
condemns it."

"This can hurt regional peace and security and at the same time lowers
the dignity of the country," said the statement.

"Terrorism breeds terrorism."

But the party urged the government to consider the roots of the ethnic
unrest and political bitterness behind the hospital seizure by God's
Army, an ethnic Karen guerrilla group.

The NLD won a sweeping election victory in 1990 but has never been
allowed to take power by the military government which is accused by
critics of gross human rights abuses.

The party advocates non-violent means to oust the military from power,
but over the last 18 months has seen its ability to function severely
curtailed in what foreign diplomats say is a concerted government
campaign of intimidation.

Ten God's Army and Vigorous Burmese Student Warriors guerrillas were
killed in the hostage siege which ended with a bloody commando raid on
Tuesday.

All the hostages were freed unharmed.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
NPR WEEKEND EDITION: CHILDREN AT WAR
SATURDAY (1:00 PM ET)
National Public Radio (U.S.)
January 29, 2000, Saturday

SCOTT SIMON, host:

The most hideous and haunting picture of the week must be of those
12-year-old twin boys, Johnny and Luther Htoo, the leaders of a Burmese
rebel group called God's Army. Standing barely taller than their rifles
and dragging bitter puffs out of their cheroot cigarettes, God's Army
took about 700 people hostage in a hospital in Ratchaburi, Thailand,
this week, before being run back into the jungle by the Thai army.
Johnny and Luther have been rebel soldiers since they were nine. The
Burmese army launched an offensive against their Karen tribal village
along the thorny border between Thailand and Burma, slaughtering and
raping hundreds.

The legend that's grown up around the boys' bony shoulders is that
Johnny and Luther, however, could not be killed. Bullets, they said,
fell away from their small, frail chests. Land mines languished under
their small, light feet. The Karen are fundamentalist Christians
fighting for autonomy against Burma's military dictatorship. They've
made what amounts to icons of the boys, who were, of course, merely
lucky, not immortal.

The picture that appeared in newspapers around the world this week shows
long-haired twins whose faces seem to reflect, like dramatic masks,
different sides of the same crime. Johnny's face looks blinking and
mournful; Luther's seems clenched and bitter. "Why should we cry?"
Johnny was quoted as asking photographers. "Boys do not cry." The
Burmese army destroyed their homes and childhoods. And then their own
Karen people may have taken their innocence.

The accomplished documentary filmmakers Alan and Susan Raymond have a
film premiering on HBO early next week that dramatically depicts many
children whose lives have been captured by war and terrorism. "Children
at War" is so searing, you sometimes move to look away, knowing that
when you've recovered the strength to look back at the screen there are
plenty of tragedies remaining on the reel ahead. An 11-year-old Tutsi
boy who was smuggled into the woods by his parents sees his mother and
father murdered by Hutu militia. It's not surprising when he picks up
the gun to avenge their deaths but you may wonder how many deaths it
will take, how many people that young boy will kill, to fill up his
emptiness.

The sad and despicable fact is that dictators and terrorists have
discovered that children make good soldiers. They can be young and
strong, clever and fearless. They can trust utterly and risk their lives
without frightful hesitation because they've not yet lived long enough
to learn that they can die like everybody else. One of the many crimes
of war is that it takes the power of children's innocence and twists it
into their hearts.

(Soundbite of song)

Unidentified Group of Singers: (In unison) Stop! What's that sound?
Everybody look what's going down.

SIMON: And it's now 18 minutes past the hour.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
ABC WORLD NEWS TONIGHT: GOD'S ARMY MILITIA OVERRUN BY BURMESE ARMY

(6:30 PM ET)

January 28, 2000, Friday

PETER JENNINGS, anchor:

Overseas today, on the border between Thailand and Burma, a group which
calls itself God's Army is apparently fighting for survival. Yesterday
their jungle headquarters were overrun by the Burmese army, against
which this group, obstensibly led by these two 12-year-old children, has
been struggling for years. Tonight, ABC's Mark Litke on their history
and their dilemma.

MARK LITKE reporting:

(VO) They may call themselves God's Army, but they're little more than a
ragtag militia. What sets them apart is their age. Half of them are
children, led by the twin 12-year-olds Johnny and Luther. Their story is
legend among the rebels fighting for a separate homeland in Burma. When
they were nine, they survived a Burmese army attack that destroyed their
village. Now they're said to have mystical powers, that bullets can't
hit them. And while they often play and act like ordinary 12-year-olds,
they brandish automatic weapons with the ease of old veterans. Those who
know this group say they are fundamentalist Christians, a cult hardened
by decades of oppression by the Burmese army.

Mr. DAVID FENGOLD (Burma Anthropologist): They've seen their parents
killed. They've seen their villages burned. And whereas this doesn't
excuse child soldiers, it makes you understand why these kids have taken
up arms.

LITKE: (VO) And it's why God's Army took hostages in Thailand this week.
They accused the Thais of helping the Burmese military, and they wanted
it stopped. Thai commandos responded by killing all the hostage-takers.
Johnny and Luther were not among them.

Today there are reports filtering into Thailand that God's Army is now
on the run and moving deeper into the Burmese jungle. But Johnny and
Luther have been on the run for much of their young lives, and the
events of this week are likely to add to their legend. Mark Litke, ABC
News, Bangkok.

JENNINGS: On the subject of strange things to be seen overseas. Look at
Jerusalem today, covered by the heaviest snowfall in 50 years, 12
inches. There is usually some snow in winter in Jerusalem but not like
this.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
BANGKOK POST: NEW PRESIDENT CALLS FOR ALL KAREN UNITS TO COME TOGETHER
January 31, 2000
Saw Ba Thin wants politics before arms
Supamart Kasem

Saw Ba Thin, the new president of the Karen National Union, has called
for various Karen factions to reunite for the solidarity of the Karen
people.

In an interview with the Bangkok Post at a border area opposite Tak
province, 73-year-old Saw Ba Thin, while calling for unity, stressed his
"politics-before-military" policy which emphasises negotiations with
Rangoon for a truce.

"Many groups have broken away from the KNU. Some have defected to
Rangoon while others remained independent. We regard them as having
committed a mistake and are ready to give them a pardon when they
return," he said.

Saw Ba Thin joined the KNU in 1949 as a private soldier and was promoted
to higher positions including prime minister and general secretary
before being elected top KNU leader in the 12th KNU Congress held last
week.

His first job as KNU president was making an announcement to pardon the
breakaway elements and assign the commanders of all seven divisions to
do everything possible to persuade them to return to the fold.

"Without unity, our struggle will lack efficiency and it will be
difficult to achieve victory.

"We will be like people in a colonised country who are "divided and
ruled." A worse scenario is that Rangoon will "divide and kill" until
all groups are eliminated one after another," he said.
The breakaway Karen groups include the Democratic Karen Buddhist Army
led by Phra Uthasana which has defected to Rangoon and Karen Solidarity
Organisation under Maj Robert Zan (son of former KNU president Mahn Ba
Zan) and the God's Army, led by 12-year-old twins which are still
fighting the Burmese regime.

Saw Ba Thin said it is the Karen's culture to forgive not only misled
Karens but also enemies. The KNU used to release a large number of
Burmese soldiers who defected or were arrested after clashes.
He said he will adhere to negotiations and resort to politics before
military action.

"We will not attack Burmese units which are located in our occupied
areas. But if we are attacked, we will defend ourselves."
"The KNU and Burmese regime have fought each other for longer than 50
years. We have lost lives and resources despite the fact that both sides
want peace.

"I think it's time for both sides to stop the loss of flesh and blood
and use our resources for the well-being of our people," he said.
The KNU and Rangoon have held many rounds of talks to end fighting but
little progress has been made because there are some conditions which
are not acceptable, he said.

Burma wants the KNU to lay down arms.
The KNU wants a ceasefire without being disarmed and a demilitarised
zone.  The Karens want an autonomous area and representatives in the
central government-proposals that are not acceptable to Burma.
Saw Ba Thin called for the Thai government to have mercy for Karen
people who have fled fighting between the God's Army and Burmese
government forces. They are in need of food and treatment for the sick
and the wounded, he said.

He said Thailand's decisive action that saw all 10 God's Army rebels
killed was within the scope of the Thai law and will not affect
relations between Thai and Karen people.

The KNU and Burmese government sat on a negotiation table in 1949, 1960,
1963 and 1997. Three rounds of talks were held in 1997 when Gen Bo Mya
was president.

In the 12th KNU Congress held opposite Tak last week, it was concluded
that the 50-year struggle failed because of disunity.
KNU general secretary Pado Mahn Sha Lar Hpan said the Rangoon regime has
chosen to negotiate with many different groups and offered different
interests. The government's tactic is to "divide and rule," he said.

Pado Mahn Sha admitted there are "Young Turks" in the KNU and said they
are given importance by being put in various executive committees.

Although Gen Bo Mya has stepped down, he is still the defence minister,
chairman of the Democratic Alliance of Burma and president of the
National Council of the Union of Burma.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
MIZZIMA: BURMESE TRADERS AT A LOSS IN LEGAL BORDER TRADE WITH BANGLADESH

By Our reporter, Mizzima News Group
Dhaka, January 30, 2000

The Burmese traders who are doing legal border trade between Burma and
Bangladesh are facing loss many lakhs during the month of January. The
wholesale dealers of Bangladesh are offering prices for onion, garlic,
ginger and spices four or five times less than the fixed prices, causing
heavy loss to the Burmese traders.

A Burmese trader in the legal trade is taxed 300 US dollars by the Burma
Custom if the turn over of his or her trade is over Kyat ten lakhs. (The
rate of dollar exchange is Kyat 350 to 380 in open market.)

Because of good offer in the past, traders from Shan State, Rangoon
Division, Irrawaddy Division and Arakan State of Burma used to bring
onions daily to Bangladesh worth about 30 to 40 lakhs Kyats.

Onion Kyat 100 per viss at Burma when reach Bangladesh is offered only
Kyat 60/70 and that too after selecting better ones and throwing away
others. If they don't sell onions due to low price, onions get bad and
prices are further reduced. Thus, the Burmese traders are losing in
lakhs for every trip.

However, traders from Bangladesh make more profits as Burmese onions
have good market in Bangladesh. The onions from Burma reach not only
border areas but go up to Chittagong and Dhaka. The whole sellers at the
border in Bangladesh make monthly profit up to 30 million Kyats.

But, Burmese traders continue do the business.

"We had taken loan and bought these goods because of good offer by
traders from Bangladesh. As traders from various parts of Burma are
coming down in numbers for this business, Bangladesh traders cut prices.
We cannot go back as there is less demand in Burma and there fore we
have to sell at a loss", said a Burmese trader when asked why he
continues
this "loss" business.

http://www.iseas.edu.sg/pub.htm

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
 INSIDE BURMA
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

ABFSU: PARTIAL LIST OF JOURNALISTS IN CUSTODY IN BURMA
All Burma Federation of Student Unions

As Burmese people lost their freedom of expression, most journalists
were arrested by the Military regime. Some, such as U Thaw Ka (writer),
Monywa Tin Swe (writer), Tin Thein Maung (writer), Maung Yin Thit (poet)
have died in  prison and some remain detained in custody. The following
is the list of journalists who are still now in custody.

1. Maung Wan Tha (a) U Soe Thein
- Celebrated Burmese writer
- Now imprisoned at Insein.
2. Htun Zaw Htay (a) Ko Htay Lwin
- Writer and poetry critic
- Now in Myingyan prison.
3. Myint Myat Thein (a) U Myint Thein
- Article writer
- Now in Thayet prison.
4. U Win Tin
- Famous Burmese journalist who worked as an editor of Hantarwaddy
Newspaper.
- Now in Insein prison.
5. San San Nwe- Tharawaddy (a) Daw San San
- Famous writer
- Now in Insein prison.
6. Aung Zin Min (a) U Min Zin
- Writer and poet.
- Now detained in Tharawaddy prison.
7. Thu Yein Htet Lin (a) Ye Htut (a) Yan Naung Soe
- Notable writer
- Now in Myawn Mya prison.
8. Nyein Thit (a) Ko Thaung Htun
- Poet
- Now in Insein prison.
9. Maung Aung Pwint (a) U Aung Pwint
- Famous poet and editor for Padauk Pwint Thit Magazine. Also a
journalist
for MV media group.
- Now in Insein prison.
10. Maung Thwe Ni (a) Ko Mya Kyaing
- Poet
- Now in Tharawaddy prison.
11. Ko Thet Zaw
- Editor for a Burmese Magazine
- Now in Insein prison.
12. Myo Myint Nyein
- Prominent editor for MaHayThi Magazine
- Now in Tharawaddy prison.
13. Maung Ngwe Oo (a) U Sein Hla Oo.
- Editor of a well-known Newspaper
- Now in Myint Kyi Nar pison.
14. Aung Wint (a) U Ohn Kyaing
- A journalist since the 1950's parliamentary period
- Now in Taung Ngu prison.
15. Cho Seint (a ) Kyaw San
- Poet (Grandson of Thakin Kodaw Hmaing, noted poet of the anti-
colonial
struggle)
- Now in Tharawaddy Prison
16. Tin Maung Kyi
- Poet and Magazine graphics designer.
- Now in Tharawaddy prison.
17. Kyi Tin Oo
- Writer
- Now in Insein prison.
18. Maung Hmaing Lwin (a) U Tin Aye Kyu.
- Poet
- Now in Mandalay prison.
19. Maung Tin Thit (a) Ko Yin Mon
- Poet
- Now in Mandalay prison.
20. Maung Nan Wai- Bamaw (a) Ko Yan Naing Min
- Poet
- Now in Mandalay prison.
21. Aung Khin Sint (a ) Dr. Aung Khin Sint
- Writer and physician.
- Now in Insein prison.
22. Maung Thein Nyunt- Kaut Ka Yake
- Writer.
- Now detained in the Ye-Mon detention center.
23. Aung Htun
- Writer of Burmese Student History.
- Now in Tharawaddy prison.

Foreign Affairs Committee
All Burma Federation of Student Unions.
Jan 31, 2000.

(For more info, please contact to 055- 542864)

Foreign Affairs Committee
All Burma Federation of Student Unions.
P.O Box- 30
Maesot
Tak Province, 63110
Thailand
email: bakatha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
       oway99@xxxxxxxxxx
Tel : 055 543001

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
SAPPB: CALL FOR RELEASE OF THREE POLITICAL PRISONERS ON HEALTH GROUNDS

JAN 27, 2000:

Activating Committee
Safeguard Association for Political Prisoners in Burma.

These three political prisoners need urgently to be released because of
their health. They are;

Name :  U Tun Aung Kyaw  { a }  Thakhin  Mipwar
Age     :   50
Sentenced  Under   :  5 \  j
Jail term :   7 years

	In  1990 ,  U Tun  Aung   Kyaw   was  arrested and sentenced for the
first time to five years imprisonment including hard labor. Since that
time he has been suffering from tuberculosis . He had therefore visited
the jail hospital many times. He was released at the end of 1994.

	After being released, althought he treated his disease as much as he
could, he could not use too much money. As a result his health became
worse and worse. He still continued to be involved in political
movements secretly in accordance with his belief in Democracy and Human
Rights. Unfortunately, while he was visiting the military intelligence
men raided the Hospital in 1997 and detained U Tun Aung Kyaw. Then he
was Sentenced to seven years imprisonment including hard labor.

	In the jail hospital, there is not enough medicine, and specialist
doctors are not regularly available. Therefore it is very important for
him to visit specialist outside of the prison. However miltary
intelligence will not allow this. They give the excuse of security
concerns.

	We, the SAPPB members feel very deeply concerned for U Tun Aung Kyaw.

Name;  Zaw Maung  Maung Win
Age : 22 years
Sentenced under ;   5\j
Jail term : 7 years
	Zaw Maung Maung Win is one of the student leaders of  the All Burma
Federation of Student Unions.Because of his involvement of December ,
1996, he was detained. The following year 1997, he was sentenced to
seven years imprisonment including hard labor. Before he was detained,
he suffered from heart attack and his heart had been operated on twice.
Some witnesses who were released recently told us that at the start of
his sentence, Zaw Maung Maung Win could not walk more than 30 yards.
When he walked from his solitary confinement. Cell to the bathing place,
he felt very exhausted and sometimes fainted. Two or three months after
the start of his sentence, he was transferred into Mandalay Jail far
away from his family.

	His family could not provide for him well. In jail and outside
hospitals, there is not enough Medicine. He can hardly cope with his
very difficult daily situation in prison. His health is getting worse
and worse day by day.We feel deeply concerned for Zaw Maung Maung Win.

Name;		"Nay Tinn Myint"
Father's name; 	U Win Maung
Mother's name;	Daw Amar
Jail term;            20 years
Date of birth;	October,1966
Education;	4th Year (Zoology )
Sentenced under;	5/j , 17/1 , 17/2 , 17/20

	Nay Tin Myint was actively involved in the1988 popular uprising. His
organization was "the Tri-color organization". After the SLORC was
formed, he run away to the Thai-Burma border to continue hes political
movement . In 1989, he secretly came back to inside Burma. While he was
doing his political tasks, he was detained in 1989 and sentenced to
three years imprisonment including hard labor by a martial court. When
he was in jail, he was tortured severely both physically and mentally
torture. All the time he was put in solitary-confinement, and he was
shackled on him until the day he was released. From Myin Chan prison in
1992.

	After being released, he still continued his political movement instead
of being afraid. Unfortunately, he was detained again  in 1993, with his
11 comrades including Dr. Aung Khin Sint and Ma Thide  (Sandchaung
)because he met with the UN Human-Rights Commission representatives and
handed out "the New Era Journal" which was published by outside
opposition groups . Nay Tin Myint and his comrades were sentenced to 20
years imprisonment including hard labour on 15 October, 1993 and were
sent to the notorious Insein prison.

	After nearly one year, Nay Tin Myint was transferred to Myingyan prison
again on 24 July, 1994.

	"Myingyan" is located in upper Burma. All prisons in Burma are desigmed
to break the political prisoners' spirit. But there is no other prison
in Burma as oppressive as Myingyan prison. Now in Myingyan prison, Nay
Tin Myint is suffering from vomiting blood, muscle cramps and swelling
of the right leg.

Although he informed the jail authorities, they turned a deaf ear.
Therefore his health is getting worse and worse day after day. Sometimes
he experiences losses of equilibrium.

	We, the SAPPB members feel deeply concerned for Nay Tin Nyint's health.

(Activating Committee)
Safeguard Association of Political Prisoners in Burma.
27th Jan, 2000.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
NLM: TWO TIPITAKADHARA TIPITAKAKOVIDA SAYADAWS EMERGE
The New Light of Myanmar (Sunday, January 30, 2000)

YANGON, 29 Jan - Bhaddanta Silakkhandha - bhivamsa and
Bhaddanta Vamsapalalankara who passed the oral and
written examinations of the 52nd Tipitakadhara
Selection Examination of Year 2000 ( 1361 ME), were
awarded Tipitakadhara Tipitakakovida title, and
therefore it can be said that the flourishing of
Buddhist Sasana spanned the golden era and has reached
the diamond era.

Pariyatti examinations sponsored by the Ministry of
Religious Affairs of the State Peace and Development
Council are Tipitakadhara Selection Examination
Dhammacariya Examination, Pathamabyan Examination,
Nikaya Examination, Abhidhamma and Visuddhimagga
Examination and Basic Buddhist Cultural Examination Out
of these six examinations, Tipitakadhara Selection
Examination is the most extensive, most difficult and
profound and highest.

There are 20 prescibed treatises and 8,026 pages to
recite.  To look up the terms.  there are over 100
treatises.

Out of over 400,000 members of the Sangha in the Union
of Myanmar, the maximum number of members of the Sangha
who enrol to take the oral examination every year, is
not more than 150.  But, the number of members of the
Sangha who actually take the oral examination is about
70 at the maximum.  In view of this, how difficult,
profound and extensive the examination is can be
guessed.

This examination has been held since 1949 (1310 ME),
and up to the 51 st Tipitakadhara Selection Examination
held in 1999 (1360 ME), there emerged six Tipitakadhara
Tipitaka-kovida Sayadaws who passed the oral and
written examinations of the Tipitakadhara Selection
Examination and three Tipitakadhara Sayadaws who passed
the oral examination.

Tipitakadhara Selection Examination is held every year.
Visittha Tipitakadhara Mahatipitakakovida
Dhammabhandagarika Mingun Sayadaw emerged at the sixth
examination, Visittha Tipitakadhara Tipitakakovida
Dhammabhandagarika Pakokku Sayadaw at the 12th
examination, Tipitakadhara Tipitakakovida
Dhammabhandagarika Pyay Sayadaw at the 16th
examination, Tipitakadhara Tipitakakovida
Tipitakamahaghandayon Sayadaw at the 26th examination,
Tipthara Tipitakakovida Yaw Sayadaw at the 37th
examination and Tipitakadhara Tipitakakovida Yesagyo
Sayadaw at the 47th examination.  It can be found that
only every eight years, a Tipitakadhara Tipitakakovida
Sayadaw emerges.  A Tipitakadhara Sayadaw and a
Tipitakadhara Tipitakakovida Sayadaw have emerged at
the 52nd Tipitakadhara Selection Examination
unprecedently, outstandingly and marvelously.  It is
not for those who lack good cumulative result of past
meritorious deeds to promote the Sasana of the Buddha.
Only those who have good cumulative result of past
meritorious deeds are a ble to promote and propagate
the Sasana, and to enable them to pay homage, two
Sasana Arzarnis emerged.

The State Peace and Development Council Government and
devote Buddhist people make donations for the members
of the Sangha and pay homage to the Buddhist Sasana,
and candidate members of the Sangha, lecturer Sayadaws,
Sayadaws who compiled questions, and the Tipitakadhara
Selection Committee of nine Ovadasariya Sayadaws and
other Sayadaws made collective and energetic efforts.
As a result, Bhaddanta Silakkhandhabhivamsa and
Bhaddanta Vamsapalalankara emerged as Tipitakadhara
Tipitakakovida Sayadaws.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
 EDITORIALS
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

KRUNGTHEP TURAKIJ (Thailand): RETHINK OUR SECURITY NEEDS
Source--Thai language newspaper in Bangkok.  Translated and reprinted in
The Bangkok Post, January 31, 2000

It is high time that the government revamped its national security
measures and reassessed its refugee relief policy in the wake of last
week's Ratchaburi hospital siege.

The incident occurred less than four months after a group of armed
Burmese dissidents took over the Burmese embassy in Bangkok and held
about 100 people hostage. The siege ended without bloodshed and the
dissidents were flown to the Burmese border and released.

The armed Burmese and Cairns who seized Ratchaburi hospital last Monday
might have expected the Thai government to take the same "soft" line
against anti-Rangoon dissidents.

But the Thai government did not let history repeat itself.

There is no justification for any Karen soldier to violate the
sovereignty of Thailand. In last Monday's incident, the 10 gunmen
hijacked a bus at the border and travelled more than to Ratchaburi
hospital.

It is highly inappropriate for anyone to attack a hospital. Doctors,
nurses and patients are spared even in times of war.

The Burmese government also must take responsibility for acts of
violence committed by minority groups in Burma. The conflict is an
internal matter of Burma, but its effects are felt by Thailand.

Anti-Rangoon students and refugees have flooded into Thailand. The
refugee camp in Ratchaburi's Suan Phueng district has become an
anti-Rangoon base.

We condemn all acts of violence. The gunmen who stormed Ratchaburi
hospital violated a universal rule of conduct.

Thai people have for a long time had to bear with problems caused by
groups opposed to the Burmese government. Each time, we used
humanitarian reasons to deal with the problems. It is high time we
reconsidered this policy.

Bangkok Post (January 31, 2000)

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
 OTHER
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

BOOK RELEASE--FINANCIAL RESOURCES FOR DEVELOPMENT IN MYANMAR

Lessons from Asia
Mya Than & Myat Thein, editors (280 pages)
1999 ISEAS, Singapore
US$23.9 (S$39.9)

Much attention has been paid to the increasingly substantial inflows of
foreign direct investment into Myanmar since the country opened its
doors to overseas in late 1988. However, there is a growing realization
that FDI inflows alone will not enable the country to meet the
ambitious economic growth targets. As evidenced by the "Asian Tigers"
economies, there is also a need for considerable amounts of domestic
capital and, in order to attain substantial levels of domestic
investment, a system of domestic savings "vehicles"-- that the state and
industry can harness-- must be developed. Hence, this volume seeks to
examine ways in
which domestic savings and investment capital can be encouraged and
increased. The contributors include not only Myanmar economists and
policy-makers but also experts from ASEAN and Japan who share their
experiences.

Faster, stronger and able to send millions
of emails in one click: the new Topica site!
http://www.topica.com/t/14