The First South East Asian Canoe Ch

Subject: The First South East Asian Canoe Championships

The New Light of Myanmar
Monday, 10 January, 2000

The First South East Asian Canoe Championships

The First South East Asian Canoe Championships was successfully concluded in
the Golden Land of Myanmar in December 1999. The successful completion was
not only due to the support of the highest sport authorities of the State,
but also due to the technical supervisory assistance of the World's highest
canoe sport authority ICF (International Canoe Federation) and the regional
canoe confederation ACC (Asian Canoe Confederation) and due to the keen and
active participation of officials and athletes of the member South East Asian
countries.

The opening ceremony held on 10th December, 1999 was highly honoured by the
presence of the State dignitaries, the Secretary-General of the ICF Mr Otto
Bonn, the Secretary-General of the ACC Mr Ali Ghalamsiyah, the President of
the South East Asian Canoe Federation RAdm Basoeki (Rtd) and other
high-ranking officials from the ICF and ACC. The holding of the canoe
championships originated from the meeting between water sports officials who
attended the 19th South East Asian Games held in Indonesia in 1997 during
which Myanmar was nominated to initiate the inaugural First South East Asian
Canoe Championships. Since then, the Myanmar Rowing and Canoeing Federation
contacted its counterparts of the member countries of ASEAN and with the help
and lobbying by the ICF Development Co-ordinator for Asia, Mr Csaba Szanto,
who travelled occasionally in the region, the Canoe Championships was finally
held from 9'hto 12'h December, 1999 at the Inya Lake in Yangon.

Among the important feats accomplished during the regional Canoe
Championships were:?

(1)  A record number of eight South East Asian nations participated in the
Canoe competitions while nine countries attended the Congress.

(2)  A record number of 32 events were held and as every event had a minimum
of 4 entries (nations), no event had to be cancelled.

(3)  A record number of officials attended?3 from ICF, 3 from ACC and 2 from
SEA Canoe Federation ? apart from participating countries.

(4)  An International Canoe Umpires' Seminar and Examination was conducted by
2 ICF officials. 4 Myanmar, 2 Malaysian, 1 Indonesian and I Thai canoe
officials passed and will become ICF Official Card holders who are entitled
to officiate in International Canoe Competitions.

(5)  Election of the President RAdm Basoeki (Rtd) (Indonesia), the 1st
Vice-President Professor Dr Than Toe (Myanmar), the 2nd Vice-President Mr
Dzulkafli Abas (Malaysia) and Secretary-General Mr Nguyen Hoang Hung
(Vietnam) of the South East Asian Canoe Federation for the year 2000-2002.

(6)  Resolution by all member countries of South East Asia to request the
Olympic Committee of Malaysia for inclusion of the Canoe sport in the
215'South East Asian Games to be held in Malaysia in the year 2001.0nly if
this is unsuccessful, Vietnam is to host the 2nd South East Asian Canoe
Championships.

(7)  The ICF, ACC & SEACF officials and athletes of participating nations
were able to meet and discuss in an amicable spirit for further development
of the Canoe sport in the region.

The Secretary-General of the ICF who was present throughout the Canoe
Championships in Yangon from 8'h to 13'hDecember, after returning to his
homeland in Hungary, wrote a short letter to the National Olympic Committees
of the South East Asian Territory and distributed copies of the letter to the
National Canoe Federations of South East Asia regarding his findings, views
and comments on the First South East Asian Canoe Championships and Congress,
some excerpts of which are reproduced below for the interest of sports
enthusiasts and the public.

"The experiences I got during the events have exceeded every expectation. The
most important facts were as follows:

? 80% of the countries belonging to this region attended the Championships
and 90% the Congress.

? the very good preparation and arrangement of the Championships on the Inya
Lake ensuring excellent conditions.

? the support granted by the highest sport authorities to the organisation of
the Championships, and the active participation of the leaders.

?the enthusiasm of the competitors, the efforts made in the interest of
obtaining better results, the appreciation of the sport, their claim to get
the knowledge of our sport.

The overwhelming majority of the federations participating in these
Championships are very young federations in the International Canoe
Federation. I was really pleased to see and experience what a great step they
made forwards in the knowledge of our sport, the use of the canoeing
techniques with the assistance we could grant them in the frame of the ICF
Development Programme.

On the occassion of the Congress we discussed many questions and I gave
information on the ICF opinion in several subjects. Among them there was a
very essential item which could have a good effect to the further development
of our sport in this whole area. It is necessary to grant further assistance
and support in technical equipment, in education and employment of experts
(coaches, referees) and frequent participation in competitions, which will
place the competitors before more and more difficult tasks. This could be
realised partly by the further maintaining of the ICF own Development
Programme and by the support granted by the local sport authorities.

The competitors of Asia, within it those of South East Asia are capable to
earn the right to participate in the canoeing competitions of the Olympic
Games to be held in 2004 in Athens at the qualification events to be
organised in advance. To realise this aim it would be a very favourable
contribution if the SEA GAMES to be held in 2001 in Kuala Lumpur had in its
programme the canoe/kayak sport events ."

The Myanmar Rowing and Canoeing Federation wishes to pay tribute through
these columns to various State Organs, the National Olympic Committee,
Leading Organisation Committee, Competition Organising Committee and
Sub-Committees, Women's Sports Federation, the Yangon City Development
Committee and to all sponsors for contributing their manpower, precious time
and resources in one way or another for the highly successful holding of the
First South East Asian Canoe Championships. Our special thanks are conveyed
to the invited guests and 'nigh level officials of the International Canoe
Federation and the Asian Canoe Confederation for their full time presence,
whole hearted support and valuable assistance rendered during the
Championships. Finally, we thank al1 participants and honour the outstanding
athletes, and also the diplomatic corps from the ASEAN countries, without
whose active participation and support, this memorable Canoe Championships
would not have been possible to be held.

Article : Tun Oo ( Myanmar Rowing & Canoeing Federation )