Bilateral cooperation steadily grow

Subject: Bilateral cooperation steadily growing

SOURCE:  Myanmar Information - http://www.myanmar.com/

Excerpt from The Japan Times, 4th January 2000

Bilateral cooperation steadily growing

By AUNG NAING
Ambassador of the Union of Myanmar

On the joyful occasion of the celebrations marking Myanmar's 52nd
anniversary of independence, which happily coincide which the dawn of
the new millennium, I am greatly honored to convey warmest greetings
and best wishes on behalf of the government and people of the Union of
Myanmar to the government and of Japan.

I would also like to express sincere appreciation to The Japan Times
for according me this opportunity to address its esteemed readers and
update them on current developments in Myanmar, in light of its ever
closer and warmer relations with this great country of Japan.

Looking back over the last decade of the past millennium, Myanmar not
only with stood and then recovered from the turmoil of social unrest
and the riots of If88, but was also able to make remarkable headway in
its political, social and economic reforms. First of all, law and
order was restored and in the later stages, peace and stability
prevailed after 17 armed insurgent groups, founded on ideological and
racial differences, returned to the legal fold to cooperate with the
government in its nation-building endeavors.

These accomplishments were attributed to the undaunted patriotic
spirit of our people, from various racial groups, who exerted
unceasing all-out efforts under the visionary leadership of the State
Peace and Development Council to regain peace and again consolidate
the union in the present stage. Having put its vibrant and dynamic
market-oriented economic system in place, Myanmar today is ready to
jump start its economy to build a prosperous, peaceful and modern
sovereign state. A state is envisioned where all citizens of all races
can in perpetuity enjoy the fruits of development, culminating with
social justice, liberty and equality, while maintaining their
traditional cultural, religious and ethnic identity.

As always, the relationship between Myanmar and Japan is cordial and
warm, as the two peoples share a multitude of values and traditions
that go back a long way. These mutual sentiments of warmth and
cordiality have been enjoyed over the years through thick and thin.

When official development aid was suspended, this initially curtailed
development projects in Myanmar. However, the sympathetic Japanese
people, especially at the grassroots level, found ways to provide
assistance in various forms, including grant in aid and other
essential support to sustain basic human needs.

'In due course, these humanitarian ties gradually expanded to other
sectors of cooperation as Japan continuously sent out study teams and
missions from such institutions as JETRO, JICA, the Japan Foundation
and numerous enterprises interested in Myanmar, for closer mutually
beneficial cooperation.

The gradual build-up of these activities eventually resulted in the
"summit meeting between Prime Minister Keizo Obuchi and Senior Gen.
Than Shwe in November. The meeting was immediately followed by a
powerful Japanese mission led by former Prime Minister Ryutaro
Hashimoto, which met with top Myanmar leaders in Yangon to discuss and
exchange views on strengthening future bilateral bonds. These two
top-level meetings were reinforced by a strong Keidanren mission that
was also received by the Myanmar leadership to exchange views on
economic cooperation.

These substantial developments in our bilateral relationship are
gaining momentum over time. While many Japanese entrepreneurs are
poised to take advantage of the opportunities resource rich Myanmar
offers, the Myanmar side is also reaching out welcoming hands to
accommodate the for the coming business ventures. Effective measures
have been taken to create a viable environment where foreign
investments can be conducted profitably and with safety assured. All
indications are that a new era of friendship and economic partnership
is dawning. It is my strongest wish and ardent hope that the friendly
peoples of Myanmar and Japan can savor the delicious fruits of even
closer cooperation as we usher in a hew millennium of prosperity.

Mg Myanmar
A Myanmar citizen who loves Myanmar