The New Light of Myanmar (Sunday, J

Subject: The New Light of Myanmar (Sunday, January 2, 2000)

The New Light of Myanmar (Sunday, January 2, 2000)
(1)   General Maung Aye inspects development of Rakhine
      State
(2)   Secretary-l attends opening ceremony of Kachin
      State Traditional Medicine Hospital in Myintkyina
(3)   Church of Christ X'mas and Year 2000 festivities
      in Putao Township, Kachin State
(4)   Myanmar Education Committee Chairman attends
      variety dances of 1999-2000 academic year School
      Family Day
(5)   Secretary-1 inspects booths for 52nd Anniversary
      Independence Day Exhibition
(6)   Myananda Hall of Myanmar Music Asiayon opens in
      Dagon Myothit
(7)   21st Century ushered in tumultuously at seat of
      Myanmar civilization Masses rededicate themselves
      to upholding, implementing Our Three Main National
      Causes
(8)   21 members resign from Natogyi Township NLD
_______________________

(1)   General Maung Aye inspects development of Rakhine
      State

YANGON, 1 Jan - Vice-Chairman of the State Peace
and Development Council Deputy Commander-in-Chief
of Defence Services Commander-in-Chief (Army)
General Maung Aye, accompanied by Secretary-2 of
the; State Peace and Development Council, members
of the State Peace and Development Council
Commander-in-Chief (Navy) Vice-Admiral and
Commander-in-Chief (Air), Deputy Prime Minister
and Minister for Military Affairs, Minister for
Agriculture and Irrigation, Minister for National
Planning and Economic Development, Minister for
Commerce, Minister for Information, Minister for
Science and Technology, officials of the State
Peace and Development Council Chairman's Office
and departmental officials, left here by
helicopter for Innma Region in Thegon Township,
Bago Division, yesterday morning.

Then, Chairman of Bago Division Peace and
Development Council (Western Branch) reported to
the General on arrangements for the development of
Bago Division Western region.

Commander Maj-Gen Tin Aye presented a
supplementary report.

General Maung Aye gave necessary instructions.

General Maung Aye and party left there by
helicopter for Natyaykan Mountain in Ngaphe
Township, Magway Division.

First, General Maung Aye and party paid obeisance
to the pagoda on the Natyaykan Mountain.

General Maung Aye and party paid obeisance to
Sayadaw Bhaddanta Ovasabikkhu of Wanathukha Kyaung
and presented offertories to the Sayadaw.

Commander Maj-Gen Aung Htwe and Brig-Gen Kyi Thein
reported to the General on conditions of
surrounding regions of Natyaykan Mountain.

General Maung Aye attended to their needs.

General Maung Aye and party then proceeded to Ann
Township this morning.

Then, General Maung Aye and party went to
Construction site of Ann Airport.

At the briefing hall Superintending Engineer U Tun
Paw reported on the construction project f:or Ann
Air-port to General Maung Aye.

General Maung Aye spoke of the need to coordinate
local authorities, to complete the project early
and to work for development of the nation with
goodwill.

Then, General Maung Aye and party inspected Ann
Township by car and paid homage to MyoU Pagoda on
Dhamma Retkhita Hill.

Deputy Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services
General Maung Aye met Tatmadawmen of Ann Station
and regional battalion at the hall of regional
battalion.

General Maung Aye spoke on the occasion.

General Maung Aung said the Tatmadawmen and their
families must implement our three main national
causes-non-disintegration of the Union,
non-disintegration of national solidarity and
perpetuation of sovereignty, and the need to take
lessons from history of the life of servitude due
to lack of a permanent Tatmadaw, he said.

So, we are building the Tatmadaw to become strong,
able and modern one, he said and arrangements are
being made to turn out technicians and
intellectuals in the building of peaceful, modern
and developed nation.

He spoke of the need for regiments and battalions
to carry out agriculture being undertaken by the
State.

Then, General Maung Aye and party went to Sittway
Township by helicopter and arrived at 3.30 pm.

They were welcomed by Deputy Commander of Western
Command and Commandant of Danyawady Naval Region
Command Commodore and officials.

General Maung Aye and party paid homage to
Lawkananda Pagoda at 6.45 pm.

General Maung Aye signed in the visitors' book and
made a donation to Commander Maj-Gen Aung Htwe for
the pagoda funds.

The General and party inspected Sittway Township
on a motorcade.
___________________________

(2)   Secretary-l attends opening ceremony of Kachin
      State Traditional Medicine Hospital in Myintkyina

YANGON, 1 Jan - A ceremony to open the 16-bed
Kachin State Traditional Medicine Hospital of
Traditional Medicine Department under the Ministry
of Health, was held at the hospital in Khemathiri
Ward, Myitkyina Kachin State, on 31 December,
attended by Chairman of National Health Committee
Secretary-l of the State Peace and Development
Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt.

Speaking on the occasion, Minister for Health Ket
Sein said that health care services are being
provided at the grass roots level with the use of
Myanmar traditional medicine in accord with the
National Health Policy, adding potent Myanma
traditional medicine, with is nearly extinct, is
revived and being scientifically produced and
distributed.

Later, member-1 of Kachin State Peace and
Development Council Kachin State Commissioner of
General Administration Department U Khin Aung
presented a generator worth 5.1 million for
Myintkyina General Hospital to Minister Maj-Gen
Ket Sein.

Afterwards, Commander Maj-Gen Kyaw Win and
Minister Maj-Gen Ket Sein formally opened the
hospital.

Then, Secretary-1 Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt pressed the
button to unveil the signboard of the hospital.

Secretary-1 Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt and party then
inspected the hospital.

The Secretary-1 and party had a documentary photo
taken together with guests in front of the
hospital.

____________________

(3)   Church of Christ X'mas and Year 2000 festivities
      in Putao Township, Kachin State

YANGON, 1 Jan - Church of Christ Christmas and
Year 2000 welcoming ceremony was held in Dotetan
Village in Putao Township, Kachin; State on 31
December, with an address by Secretary-l of the
State Peace and Development Council Lt-Gen Khin
Nyunt.

U Phong Yemin acted as master of ceremonies.
Christian youth choir sang hymns.

The Secretary-1 said together with national races
he prayed for birthday of Jesus Christ and enjoyed
peace and tranquillity, believing that national
solidarity, peace and development would surely be
brought about in the Union of Myanmar.

He said national solidarity based on loving
kindness, peace and tranquillity based on truth
and development are the most important basic facts
for a consolidated Union and prosperity and the
Union of Myanmar which is made up of over 100
national races.

Although national races developed their culture
and customs separately in the country, culture,
customs and traditions were basically the same as
they were born together in the same Union.  It is
obviously seen that their culture and traditions
and separate religions co-existed in the Union, he
said.

Every national race has the right to preserve its
religion and own culture and traditions and this
made the Union formed with various national races
more consolidated and enhance national strength
and Union spirit.

The national races have established the Union of
Myanmar as a family type for thousands of years
and Myanmar is an inseparable family formed with
Kachin, Kayah, Kayin, Chin, Bamar, Mon, Rakhine
and Shan, he said.

He spoke of the need to preserve lineage and
traditional customs, cooperating with Union Spirit
and giving priority to national reconsolidation in
an effort to develop the national all sectors.

He said the government made efforts to combine the
national races with family spirit, after removing
doubt and different views among them.  The
government and Kachin national leaders have built
mutual understanding and respect due to assistance
of townselders including Christian leaders and the
entire Kachin State restored peace, he said.

The Secretary-1 cited that Kachin State has
developed in transport, production, trade,
education, health and social sectors with added
momentum.  National solidarity would bring about
peace, development of regions and regional people
and quality of life, he said.

He added that national development strengthens
peace and tranquillity and national unity.

He urged the national races to make efforts for
regional stability based on national unity and
Union spirits and to pray for justice, peace,
happiness longevity and all-round development in
the country.

Next, Vice-Chairman of committee for welcoming
ceremony U Reng Htan Phone spoke on the occasion.

Rev U Dagwan Phi gave the blessing.  Christian
youth choir sang hymns.
________________________

(4)   Myanmar Education Committee Chairman attends
      variety dances of 1999-2000 academic year School
      Family Day

YANGON,1 Jan - The variety dances of 1999-2000
academic year School Family Day of No 3 Basic
Education Department (Yangon City) was held at the
National Theatre on Myoma Kyaung Road at 2 pm
today, attended by Chairman of Myanmar Education
Committee Secretary-1 of the State Peace and
Development Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt.

First, new generation students who won medals in
Myanmar Traditional Cultural Performing Arts
Competitions and old students presented the
opening song of School Family Day.

Then, variety dances were presented by students of
Basic Education High School No 2 of Sangyoung,
Institute of Education Practising School BEHS No 2
of Latha, BEHS No 2 of Kamayut, Basic Education
Primary School No 3 of Bahan, BEPS No; 5 of Dagon,
BEHS No 6 of Botahtaung, BEHS No 4 of Botahtaung,
BEPS No 6 of Kyauktada, BEHS No 2 of Dagon,
University of Culture, Higher Education Department
(Lower Myanmar) new generation students and old
students and a drama by BEHS No 1 of Dagon.

The variety dances will continue tomorrow
afternoon.

________________________

(5)   Secretary-1 inspects booths for 52nd Anniversary
      Independence Day Exhibition

YANGON, 1 Jan - Chairman of Central Committee for
Organizing the 52nd Anniversary Independence Day
Secretary-1 of the State Peace and Development
Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt, accompanied by member
of the State Peace and Development
Council0Cha1rman of Yangon Division Peace and;
Development Council Commander, ministers,
officials of the State Peace and Development
Council Office, arrived at Tatmadaw Convention;
Hall on U Wisara Road at 11 .30 am today.

Thet Secretary-1 and party ;were welcomed there by
members of the Central Committee for Organizing
the 52nd Anniversary Independence Day, deputy
ministers chairmen and members of sub-committees
and officials.

Then, the Secretary-1 inspected display booths for
the 52nd Anniversary Independence Day Exhibition.
The Secretary-l gave necessary, instructions and
left there in the afternoon.

_________________________

(6)   Myananda Hall of Myanmar Music Asiayon opens in
      Dagon Myothit

YANGON, 1 Jan - Myananda Hall of Myanmar Music
Asiayon constructed by Department of Human
Settlement and Housing Development opened on
Myananda Street in Dagon Myothit (Seikkan)
Township this morning, attended by Secretary-l; of
the State Peace and Development Council Lt-Gen
Khin Nyunt.

The Secretary-1 formally unveiled the signboard of
Myanmar Music Asiayon.

Director-General of DHSHD U Arnt Kyaw, Chairman
Accordion U Ohn Kyaw and Vice-Chairman Hinthada U
Myint Ngwe formally opened Myananda Hall.

Chairman Accordion U Ohn Kyaw also made a speech.

Director-General U Arnt Kyaw handed over grant of
the hall and related documents to Hinthada U Myint
Ngwe and officials of Music Asiayon.

The Secretary-l said it is auspicious time to open
Myananda Hall of Myanmar Music Asiayon on the 1st
day of the year 2000.

He said the government encouraged artistes and it
also provided assistance to form Thabin, Music and
Motion Picture Asiayone, believing that the
artistes participation in endeavours of the State
would be more effective and useful.

He said the artistes from all strata discussed
matters to form a united Asiayon and their desire
for emergence of a Gitabeikman.  With the
assistance of the government, the first
Gitabeikman emerged in Tamway Township in 1998.

The Secretary-l spoke of government's arrangements
for construction of another Gitabeikman where
artistes could present their performances,
provision of plots to artistes at reasonable
prices in Dagon Myothit and use of the Beikman for
interest of the government, the Asiayon and the
artistes.

He said now alien culture is infiltrating into
Myanma music world and he spoke of the need to
preserve traditional culture and prevent
activities unsuitable for nation and the people
from overshadowing.

The Secretary-l said the government is making
efforts to nurture good sons and daughters on the
right path who will serve the interest of the
nation and the people in the future and it is also
nurturing new generation youths to propagate
patriotism and Union Spirit and to preserve
traditional culture and customs.

He called for making efforts in unison in the
interest of the State, the people and the artistes
under the Myanmar Music Asiayon.

Next, Sayagyi U Thukha spoke.

Chairman U Ohn Kyaw presented a commemorative gift
to the Secretary-l.

Artistes then entertained the Secretary-l and
guests.

_______________________

(7)   21st Century ushered in tumultuously at seat of
      Myanmar civilization Masses rededicate themselves
      to upholding, implementing Our Three Main National
      Causes

YANGON, 1 Jan - The mass meeting hauling the 21st
Century was held at the sports ground at the foot
of Shwezigon Pagoda, Bagan ancient culture region,
Mandalay Division, at 7.30 am today.

Representatives of the people from all over the
country approved six resolutions we continue to
regard Our Three Main National Causes as a
national duty; we shall steadfastly implement
objectives laid down for political, economic and
social development; we shall protect our nation
and citizens; we shall build a peaceful and stable
nation having high standard of living; we shall
strive for development of human resources of the
State; we shall strive for the flourishing and
propagation of Union spirit in the State.

The meeting chairman sought the approval of the
masses on the six resolutions we continue to
regard Our Three Main National Causes as a
national duty; we shall resolutely implement
objectives laid down for political, economic and
social development; we shall protect our nation
and citizens; we shall build a peaceful and stable
nation having high standard of living; we shall
strive for development of human resources of the
State; we shall strive for the flourishing and
propagation of Union spirit in the State.

The masses unanimously approved the resolutions
with chanting the slogans which were Our Three
Main National Causes Non-disintegration of the
Union, our cause, our cause; Non-disintegration of
the national solidarity, our cause, our cause; and
Perpetuation of sovereignty, our cause, our cause.
The mass meeting then came to a close at 8.45 am.

______________________________

(8)   21 members resign from Natogyi Township NLD

YANGON, 1 Jan - Twenty-one members resigned from
the National League for Democracy of Natogyi
Township, Mandalay Division.

Twenty-one members of Natogyi Township NLD,
Mandalay Division, of their own volition, resigned
by sending letters of resignation to Township
Multiparty Democracy General Election
Sub-commission and the party concerned on 13
November 1999 as they no longer wished to
participate in party politics of NLD.

(9)   WEATHER

Maximum temperature on Dec 31-12-99 was 32.5 C
(91F) Minimum temperature on Jun 1-1-00 was 18.0
C(64F)

http://www.myanmar.com/nlm/