REPOSTING : First Anniversary of th

Subject: REPOSTING : First Anniversary of the return to my motherland

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01BF5526.6CA47A60

First Anniversary of the return to my motherland for a brief stay after
relinquishing the political refugee status

by

Dr. Win Naing, Ph.D

Dated the 19th. August, 1999

1) I, Win Naing completed all procedures for relinquishing the refugee
status granted to me by the Government of Japan at the beginning of the
month of August, 1998. Soon after, having had my Myanmar passport restored
to me I returned to my motherland on 19th. August,1998 for a first brief
stay. Today, 19th.August, 1999 is the first anniversary of my return to our
motherland.

2) It is only natural for different people to have different points of view.
But just because personal views and policies differ one should not regard
each other as enemies. There need not necessarily be enmity and
confrontation. My belief that problems and differences can be resolved if
discussions and talks be held on the basis of mutual respect and confidence,
has been further strengthened after my return to Myanmar.  My colleagues of
the past are now criticizing my acts as being traitorous and have also
dubbed me a traitor. It does not matter. Even before my return to Myanmar I
genuinely believed that my chosen course of action was right.  When I
arrived back in Myanmar, I became more convinced that my action was right.

3) While in Myanmar, ( during my first, second, third and so on return to
Myanmar),I was given the opportunity to travel to all parts of my
country(including the NLD's head office), and met my countrymen from all
strata and was able to speak freely with them with absolutely no let or
hindrance. I believe that those experience and the diary of events durning
my journeys in Myanmar, will be of great help to me as well as to those,
within and outside Japan, who are interested in Myanmar's affairs. I would
like to recount to you some of the facts which I learned while in Myanmar.

(a) The general attitude of the Myanmar people is such that Myanmar that
they willingly  recognize as the Government, whosoever should govern the
country( that is, whoever is in power) ... This is a  view subscribed to by
most Myanmar citizens  especially in the rural areas.

(b) What the Myanmar people desire most is to live their  daily lives and
earn their livelihood in peace more  so than to talk about human rights and
democracy. So what the ordinary citizen desires most is to prevent  another
outbreak of political violence and unrest in  the country, especially
anarchic conditions as in  1988.

(c) The position of the Myanmar Government is that the Myanmar people
themselves should solve their internal problems with mutual understanding,
confidence and respect for one another.

(d) Provided the NLD will relax its present rigid stand and be more
flexible, the present Myanmar Government is  fully ready  and willing to
work together with the NLD for the good of the country.

4) Then, I would like to quote what a high-ranking Myanmar official said to
me to clarify the situation for the benefit of the international community.
" I'm not asking for approval of our Government. But
don't destroy our country solely because of dislike
for our Government. Approval and disapproval of the
government and love of country and the people are two
entirely separate issues. This is a distinction that
must be clearly made."

5)I also understand and accept the fact that though the Government has been
directing its efforts towards PEACE and DEVELOPMENT in Myanmar, much more
needs to be done for our motherland, Myanmar. However, the responsibility
for the future progress and well being of a country lies not in the hands of
the Government alone.  It is my firm conviction that each citizen also has a
share of responsibility. So my fervent wish at present, is to share in this
responsibility in the spirit of at least " carrying a single brick or even a
single grain of sand " in building up my Motherland, Myanmar, into a
prosperous and developed nation.  I would further like to declare and
reaffirm to all here and now, that I shall, to the best of my ability, resol
utely do my duty for the future welfare of my country.

6) To all those in and outside of Japan who are interested in Myanmar
affairs, all I wish to say now is " Go to Myanmar at least once to see for
yourself." Only then will you understand better how to resolve Myanmar's
issues and get a clearer understanding of what the Myanmar people really
want.

End.

< CONTACT ADDRESS >

Dr. Win Naing, Ph.D
P. O Box 2029, Kita-shinjuku P.O, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, JAPAN
171-23, Akazawa, Ito-shi, Shizuoka-ken, JAPAN
Tel. (+81)-90-4850-2738  or (+81)-70-6648-3609
E-mail: win9@xxxxxxxxx  (or)  win9jpn@xxxxxxxxxxxx

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01BF5526.6CA47A60

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DcsISO2022JP" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>First Anniversary of the return to =
my motherland=20
for a brief stay after relinquishing the political refugee=20
status<BR>&nbsp;<BR>by<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Dr. Win Naing,=20
Ph.D<BR>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Dated the 19th. August,=20
1999<BR>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>1) I, Win Naing completed all procedures for =

relinquishing the refugee status granted to me by the Government of =
Japan at the=20
beginning of the month of August, 1998. Soon after, having had my =
Myanmar=20
passport restored to me I returned to my motherland on 19th. August,1998 =
for a=20
first brief stay. Today, 19th.August, 1999 is the first anniversary of =
my return=20
to our motherland.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>2) It is only natural for different =
people to=20
have different points of view. But just because personal views and =
policies=20
differ one should not regard each other as enemies. There need not =
necessarily=20
be enmity and confrontation. My belief that problems and differences can =
be=20
resolved if discussions and talks be held on the basis of mutual respect =
and=20
confidence, has been further strengthened after my return to =
Myanmar.&nbsp; My=20
colleagues of the past are now criticizing my acts as being traitorous =
and have=20
also dubbed me a traitor. It does not matter. Even before my return to =
Myanmar I=20
genuinely believed that my chosen course of action was right.&nbsp; When =
I=20
arrived back in Myanmar, I became more convinced that my action was=20
right.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>3) While in Myanmar, ( during my first, second, =
third and so=20
on return to Myanmar),I was given the opportunity to travel to all parts =
of my=20
country(including the NLD's head office), and met my countrymen from all =
strata=20
and was able to speak freely with them with absolutely no let or =
hindrance. I=20
believe that those experience and the diary of events durning my =
journeys in=20
Myanmar, will be of great help to me as well as to those, within and =
outside=20
Japan, who are interested in Myanmar's affairs. I would like to recount =
to you=20
some of the facts which I learned while in Myanmar.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(a) The =
general=20
attitude of the Myanmar people is such that Myanmar that they =
willingly&nbsp;=20
recognize as the Government, whosoever should govern the country( that =
is,=20
whoever is in power) ... This is a&nbsp; view subscribed to by most =
Myanmar=20
citizens&nbsp; especially in the rural areas. <BR>&nbsp;<BR>(b) What the =
Myanmar=20
people desire most is to live their&nbsp; daily lives and earn their =
livelihood=20
in peace more&nbsp; so than to talk about human rights and democracy. So =
what=20
the ordinary citizen desires most is to prevent&nbsp; another outbreak =
of=20
political violence and unrest in&nbsp; the country, especially anarchic=20
conditions as in&nbsp; 1988.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(c) The position of the =
Myanmar=20
Government is that the Myanmar people themselves should solve their =
internal=20
problems with mutual understanding, confidence and respect for one=20
another.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(d) Provided the NLD will relax its present rigid =
stand=20
and be more flexible, the present Myanmar Government is&nbsp; fully =
ready&nbsp;=20
and willing to work together with the NLD for the good of the=20
country.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>4) Then, I would like to quote what a high-ranking =
Myanmar=20
official said to me to clarify the situation for the benefit of the=20
international community.<BR>&quot; I'm not asking for approval of our=20
Government. But<BR>don't destroy our country solely because of =
dislike<BR>for=20
our Government. Approval and disapproval of the<BR>government and love =
of=20
country and the people are two<BR>entirely separate issues. This is a=20
distinction that<BR>must be clearly made.&quot;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>5)I also =
understand=20
and accept the fact that though the Government has been directing its =
efforts=20
towards PEACE and DEVELOPMENT in Myanmar, much more needs to be done for =
our=20
motherland, Myanmar. However, the responsibility for the future progress =
and=20
well being of a country lies not in the hands of the Government =
alone.&nbsp; It=20
is my firm conviction that each citizen also has a share of =
responsibility. So=20
my fervent wish at present, is to share in this responsibility in the =
spirit of=20
at least &quot; carrying a single brick or even a single grain of sand =
&quot; in=20
building up my Motherland, Myanmar, into a prosperous and developed=20
nation.&nbsp; I would further like to declare and reaffirm to all here =
and now,=20
that I shall, to the best of my ability, resolutely do my duty for the =
future=20
welfare of my country.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>6) To all those in and outside of =
Japan who=20
are interested in Myanmar affairs, all I wish to say now is &quot; Go to =
Myanmar=20
at least once to see for yourself.&quot; Only then will you understand =
better=20
how to resolve Myanmar's issues and get a clearer understanding of what =
the=20
Myanmar people really want.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>End.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>&lt; CONTACT =
ADDRESS=20
&gt;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Dr. Win Naing, Ph.D<BR>P. O Box 2029, Kita-shinjuku =
P.O,=20
Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, JAPAN<BR>171-23, Akazawa, Ito-shi, Shizuoka-ken,=20
JAPAN<BR>Tel. (+81)-90-4850-2738&nbsp; or (+81)-70-6648-3609<BR>E-mail: =
<A=20
href=3D"mailto:win9@xxxxxxxxx";>win9@xxxxxxxxx</A>&nbsp; (or)&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:win9jpn@xxxxxxxxxxxx";>win9jpn@xxxxxxxxxxxx</A><BR>&nbsp;<B=