Do You Really Have Amity?

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01BF54A1.80A49200

Do You Really Have Amity?
( English Translation )
( New Light of Myanmar , 30 December 1999 and 31 December 1999 )

( Written by ... Dr. Daw Mya Mya Win )

The inauguration ceremony of Mahasantisukha Buddhist
Missionary Centre, which was built at Natchaung Ward,
Tamway Township, Yangon, was held on 17 December 1999.
My visit to Myanmar this time coincided with the
inauguration ceremony of the Mahasantisukha Buddhist
Missionary Centre, so I had the opportunity to attend
it. With  the leadership of International Buddhist
Missionary Agga Maha Pandita Agga Maha
Saddhammajotikadhaja Penang-Singapore Sayadaw
Bhaddanta Pannavamsa, Secretary-1 Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt,
on behalf of the State Peace and Development Council,
the Centre was built by the donors including the State
organizations. While paying respects to
Penang-Singapore Sayadaw Bhaddanta Pannavamsa at the
ceremony, I remembered an event 20 years ago. It was
when our family was staying at a hotel at Shinagawa
Ward in Tokyo. My eldest son was only five years old
then. My son who was playing with his younger sister
ran to me and said, ‘’Come and look mother . Here,
monks speaking in English are wearing robes of Myanmar
monks. They are very much similar to Myanmar monks .

‘’ A monk who closely followed my son said,
‘’We look like Myanmar monks as we are Myanmar monks.
You came from Myanmar?’’  While introducing each
other, we came to know that he was Penang-Singapore
Sayadaw Bhaddanta Pannavamsa. He said he was going to
visit the United States, giving us a visiting card and
inviting us to visit him at the possible time. As the
Sayadaws were staying in the rooms on the upper floor
in the same hotel with us, we had the opportunity to
pay respects to and have conversation with them. When
Myanmars meet each other in foreign countries, they
exchange  experiences and addresses, but rarely meet
each other again in Myanmar. I have met with the
Sayadaw several times. When I went to the United
States on business, I always visited Los Angeles. I
always went to the Sayadaw’s monastery. When I visited
Singapore, a friend of mine accompanied me to a
Myanmar monastery. Unexpectedly, I met the Sayadaw at
Singapore Monastery. ‘’We met each other in many
countries ‘’, said the Sayadaw. ‘’Please stay at my
house if you visited Japan next time’’, I requested
him. Sayadaw had visited Japan two years ago. He
stayed at my house. I had a good time discussing with
the Sayadaw. At that time I was taking political
refuge in Japan. It can be said that during the time I
was opposing the Myanmar government. The Sayadaw gave
an ovada, saying ‘’You should visit your country at
least once. In my view what you are thinking and
saying is much different from what is really happening
in Myanmar. For any citizen, home is the best. As
Japan is the best place for Japanese, so also Myanmar
is the best place for Myanmars.

Our land and water, especially Myanmar where
Theravada Buddhist is flourishing is the best place
for every Myanmar at their old age. There might be
requirements when endeavours of the present government
are assessed. But it is not as bad as you have
thought. Please look from the optimistic side of view
to find the good parts. You will understand what I
mean if you witness in person the situation of
Myanmar.’’ Now, I am thinking that the Sayadaw's visit
to my house is like pushing me onto the right path .
The Sayadaw just visited Japan during his trip from
one country to another. He visited my house as we had
phone and mail contacts. It was sure that he didn’t
come to me to tell me about the good parts of Myanmar
government. Concerning my presentations, the Sayadaw
accepted the right parts and corrected  the wrong
parts. The Sayadaw’s ovada had made my wavering mind
to make a firm and right decision. Of the many
reasons, the Sayadaw’s ovada is the main force in
driving me to withdraw my refugee status and return to
Myanmar. When he was about to leave my house, he said
‘’ We have met each other in many countries. This time
I am looking for our reunion in Myanmar.’’  This was
not the words of blessings. But I made a firm
determination in my mind to meet the Sayadaw in
Myanmar. Now I had a reunion with the Sayadaw.

The exterior and interior designs of Mahasantisukha
Buddhist Missionary Centre were so much splendid.
There was reason which placed me in a noncommittal
position when I hadn’t known the objectives of
building the Centre yet. That was ‘’Why this Centre
was built although we already have many Sangha
Tekkathos in Myanmar ?’’ The Centre is to teach what
is necessary to members of the Sangha who had already
received the degrees from the Sangha Tekkathos in
enabling them to continue their missionary duties
abroad. The Centre will thoroughly teach the members
of the Sangha who will go abroad  for missionary
duties to know the basic facts such as the language,
traditions and culture and religion of the particular
country they are going to. In addition to conducting
courses for missionaries who will go abroad, the
Centre will also offer courses for foreigners who want
to learn Theravada  Buddhism in Myanmar. I praised and
said Sadu not only for the splendour of the building
but also for the lofty aims.

At the inauguration ceremony of the Mahasantisukha
Buddhist Missionary  Centre, Patron of the Committee
for Organizing the Opening Ceremony of the Centre
Secretary-1 of the State Peace and Development Lt-Gen
Khin Nyunt supplicated on religious matters. In his
supplications, the Secretary-1 said '' It is learnt
that the sasana split into two sects, Mahayana
Buddhism and Theravada Buddhism, when years passed
after the noble demise of the Buddha. Mahayana
Buddhism is flourishing in China, Korea and Japan
ect., and Theravada Buddhism in Myanmar, Sri Lanka,
Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. '' As for me, living in
both countries, Myanmar and Japan, compared the
differences of the two sects without having in mind
the attitude - which one is better and more correct.

In Myanmar we not only give due respects to and have
sympathy for our parents but also for all the aged
persons. I have read in the treatise that when Bodisat
was in the life of the parrot king, he had to pick up
grains with his beak to gather food for his old
parents (as a means to repay the debt of gratitude )
and to feed his children (as a means to disburse new
loans). We can find many persons in the entire nation
who are looking after and providing financial
assistance to their old parents.

But in Japan, the persons who are looking after their
aged parents are very rare. Let it be if it is said
that they (the old parents) do not need financial
assistance as they are living on their pension, but
they will surely need attendance at the old age and
dying moments. With the belief that the special care
must be given to the children as they are the ones who
will build and defend the nation in the future ,
Japanese are looking after their children with utmost
care and attention (the work of disbursing new loans).
With the thought that the aged persons are no more
useful, they are starting to call the elderly persons
'' Sodiagomi'' (garbage that is difficult discard).
The Japanese government which is taking the
responsibility of the aged persons is giving special
attention to the tasks of solving the problems
concerning the elderly persons who are called
Lojinmondai in Japanese.

In Japan, once every year, the 15th of September is
observed as '' the Day of Grand- parents''. With the
meaning that becoming aged is, auspicious
Omedetogozaimasu festivals are being held on that day.
It cannot be said that the remaining 364 days are the
same as that day. The aged also choose and make
preparations to stay at the homes for the aged or
hospitals which look after the disabled or those who
are not able to look after themselves. But the elderly
persons never have such sad feelings that they are
being cruelly neglected or that their children are not
worthy for them. As Japan is a very busy country, the
old parents with immense metta solve their own
problems by choosing a suitable place for them, making
a determination that they are not going to give any
trouble or anxiety to their children who are very busy
with their work round the clock.

I began to understand that the way of living differed
as they are based on the religion. I often gave talks
in Japan at various places. Sometimes my talks were
participated by a large number of aged persons. Based
on a Japanese folklore, I always told a story to the
aged persons.

The story was as follows:

Once upon a time, there was a hill called the place
where old parents were discarded. One day a man who
was 30 years old put his over 60-year-old father in a
basket and discarded him at the hill. The man's
10-year-old son accompanied him to the hill. After
discarding his old father, the man and his son
returned. On half way, the son said '' Father you have
forgotten the basket that you used in carrying
grandpa. Let's go back and take it.'' The man told his
son '' That basket is no more useful. We don't need to
take it back home. Let's continue our journey home.''
Then the son said ''  For you, this basket is no more
useful. But for me it is still useful. Because I have
to use it to discard you. '' The grandpas and grandmas
were tearful after they had listened to my story. They
told me '' We want our children to hear such stories.
If you come to our towns next time to tell this story,
we will send our children to you to listen to your
story.''

At the meetings participated by a large number of
youths, I rarely gave such kind of talks. I showed
them the pictures of pagodas in Myanmar, telling them
the traditions and culture of Myanmar. I usually
concluded my talks, urging them to visit Myanmar.
Expressing the feelings of Myanmar people in
requesting assistance and investments was the main
item in my talks. Japan is included in the list of the
developed countries of the world. I thought that there
was no sufferings in Japan which is gaining material
development rapidly. But every year the number of
suicides in Japan is not few. I had heard that the
suicidal rate in Japan was three times more than that
of the previous year. Is it because of their failure
to find a place for mental refuge ? Following the
teachings of Buddha, we in Myanmar are always able to
find a place for mental refuge. I began to understand
that Mahasantisukha Buddhist Missionary Centre has
emerged to disseminate the invaluable Theravada
Buddhism in every part of the world. I really love the
traditions of Myanmar-giving due respects to the aged,
looking after and providing financial assistance to
parents and boldly facing the sufferings of the
mundane world.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01BF54A1.80A49200

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DcsISO2022JP" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Do You Really Have Amity? <BR>( =
English=20
Translation )<BR>( New Light of Myanmar , 30 December 1999 and 31 =
December 1999=20
)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>( Written by ... Dr. Daw Mya Mya Win =

)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The inauguration ceremony of =
Mahasantisukha=20
Buddhist<BR>Missionary Centre, which was built at Natchaung =
Ward,<BR>Tamway=20
Township, Yangon, was held on 17 December 1999.<BR>My visit to Myanmar =
this time=20
coincided with the<BR>inauguration ceremony of the Mahasantisukha=20
Buddhist<BR>Missionary Centre, so I had the opportunity to attend<BR>it. =

With&nbsp; the leadership of International Buddhist<BR>Missionary Agga =
Maha=20
Pandita Agga Maha<BR>Saddhammajotikadhaja Penang-Singapore =
Sayadaw<BR>Bhaddanta=20
Pannavamsa, Secretary-1 Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt,<BR>on behalf of the State =
Peace and=20
Development Council,<BR>the Centre was built by the donors including the =

State<BR>organizations. While paying respects to<BR>Penang-Singapore =
Sayadaw=20
Bhaddanta Pannavamsa at the<BR>ceremony, I remembered an event 20 years =
ago. It=20
was<BR>when our family was staying at a hotel at Shinagawa<BR>Ward in =
Tokyo. My=20
eldest son was only five years old<BR>then. My son who was playing with =
his=20
younger sister<BR>ran to me and said, &lsquo;&rsquo;Come and look mother =
 .=20
Here,<BR>monks speaking in English are wearing robes of =
Myanmar<BR>monks. They=20
are very much similar to Myanmar monks .</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&lsquo;&rsquo; A monk who closely =
followed my=20
son said,<BR>&lsquo;&rsquo;We look like Myanmar monks as we are Myanmar=20
monks.<BR>You came from Myanmar?&rsquo;&rsquo;&nbsp; While introducing=20
each<BR>other, we came to know that he was Penang-Singapore<BR>Sayadaw =
Bhaddanta=20
Pannavamsa. He said he was going to<BR>visit the United States, giving =
us a=20
visiting card and<BR>inviting us to visit him at the possible time. As=20
the<BR>Sayadaws were staying in the rooms on the upper floor<BR>in the =
same=20
hotel with us, we had the opportunity to<BR>pay respects to and have=20
conversation with them. When<BR>Myanmars meet each other in foreign =
countries,=20
they<BR>exchange&nbsp; experiences and addresses, but rarely =
meet<BR>each other=20
again in Myanmar. I have met with the<BR>Sayadaw several times. When I =
went to=20
the United<BR>States on business, I always visited Los Angeles. =
I<BR>always went=20
to the Sayadaw&rsquo;s monastery. When I visited<BR>Singapore, a friend =
of mine=20
accompanied me to a<BR>Myanmar monastery. Unexpectedly, I met the =
Sayadaw=20
at<BR>Singapore Monastery. &lsquo;&rsquo;We met each other in =
many<BR>countries=20
&lsquo;&rsquo;, said the Sayadaw. &lsquo;&rsquo;Please stay at =
my<BR>house if=20
you visited Japan next time&rsquo;&rsquo;, I requested<BR>him. Sayadaw =
had=20
visited Japan two years ago. He<BR>stayed at my house. I had a good time =

discussing with<BR>the Sayadaw. At that time I was taking =
political<BR>refuge in=20
Japan. It can be said that during the time I<BR>was opposing the Myanmar =

government. The Sayadaw gave<BR>an ovada, saying &lsquo;&rsquo;You =
should visit=20
your country at<BR>least once. In my view what you are thinking =
and<BR>saying is=20
much different from what is really happening<BR>in Myanmar. For any =
citizen,=20
home is the best. As<BR>Japan is the best place for Japanese, so also=20
Myanmar<BR>is the best place for Myanmars. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Our land and water, especially =
Myanmar=20
where<BR>Theravada Buddhist is flourishing is the best place<BR>for =
every=20
Myanmar at their old age. There might be<BR>requirements when endeavours =
of the=20
present government<BR>are assessed. But it is not as bad as you =
have<BR>thought.=20
Please look from the optimistic side of view<BR>to find the good parts. =
You will=20
understand what I<BR>mean if you witness in person the situation=20
of<BR>Myanmar.&rsquo;&rsquo; Now, I am thinking that the Sayadaw's =
visit<BR>to=20
my house is like pushing me onto the right path .<BR>The Sayadaw just =
visited=20
Japan during his trip from<BR>one country to another. He visited my =
house as we=20
had<BR>phone and mail contacts. It was sure that he didn&rsquo;t<BR>come =
to me=20
to tell me about the good parts of Myanmar<BR>government. Concerning my=20
presentations, the Sayadaw<BR>accepted the right parts and =
corrected&nbsp; the=20
wrong<BR>parts. The Sayadaw&rsquo;s ovada had made my wavering =
mind<BR>to make a=20
firm and right decision. Of the many<BR>reasons, the Sayadaw&rsquo;s =
ovada is=20
the main force in<BR>driving me to withdraw my refugee status and return =

to<BR>Myanmar. When he was about to leave my house, he =
said<BR>&lsquo;&rsquo; We=20
have met each other in many countries. This time<BR>I am looking for our =
reunion=20
in Myanmar.&rsquo;&rsquo;&nbsp; This was<BR>not the words of blessings. =
But I=20
made a firm<BR>determination in my mind to meet the Sayadaw =
in<BR>Myanmar. Now I=20
had a reunion with the Sayadaw.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The exterior and interior designs of =

Mahasantisukha<BR>Buddhist Missionary Centre were so much =
splendid.<BR>There was=20
reason which placed me in a noncommittal<BR>position when I hadn&rsquo;t =
known=20
the objectives of<BR>building the Centre yet. That was &lsquo;&rsquo;Why =
this=20
Centre<BR>was built although we already have many Sangha<BR>Tekkathos in =
Myanmar=20
?&rsquo;&rsquo; The Centre is to teach what<BR>is necessary to members =
of the=20
Sangha who had already<BR>received the degrees from the Sangha Tekkathos =

in<BR>enabling them to continue their missionary duties<BR>abroad. The =
Centre=20
will thoroughly teach the members<BR>of the Sangha who will go =
abroad&nbsp; for=20
missionary<BR>duties to know the basic facts such as the =
language,<BR>traditions=20
and culture and religion of the particular<BR>country they are going to. =
In=20
addition to conducting<BR>courses for missionaries who will go abroad,=20
the<BR>Centre will also offer courses for foreigners who want<BR>to =
learn=20
Theravada&nbsp; Buddhism in Myanmar. I praised and<BR>said Sadu not only =
for the=20
splendour of the building<BR>but also for the lofty aims.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>At the inauguration ceremony of the=20
Mahasantisukha<BR>Buddhist Missionary&nbsp; Centre, Patron of the=20
Committee<BR>for Organizing the Opening Ceremony of the =
Centre<BR>Secretary-1 of=20
the State Peace and Development Lt-Gen<BR>Khin Nyunt supplicated on =
religious=20
matters. In his <BR>supplications, the Secretary-1 said '' It is =
learnt<BR>that=20
the sasana split into two sects, Mahayana<BR>Buddhism and Theravada =
Buddhism,=20
when years passed<BR>after the noble demise of the Buddha. =
Mahayana<BR>Buddhism=20
is flourishing in China, Korea and Japan<BR>ect., and Theravada Buddhism =
in=20
Myanmar, Sri Lanka,<BR>Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. '' As for me, living =

in<BR>both countries, Myanmar and Japan, compared the<BR>differences of =
the two=20
sects without having in mind<BR>the attitude - which one is better and =
more=20
correct.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>In Myanmar we not only give due =
respects to and=20
have<BR>sympathy for our parents but also for all the aged<BR>persons. I =
have=20
read in the treatise that when Bodisat<BR>was in the life of the parrot =
king, he=20
had to pick up<BR>grains with his beak to gather food for his =
old<BR>parents (as=20
a means to repay the debt of gratitude )<BR>and to feed his children (as =
a means=20
to disburse new<BR>loans). We can find many persons in the entire =
nation<BR>who=20
are looking after and providing financial<BR>assistance to their old =
parents.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>But in Japan, the persons who are =
looking after=20
their<BR>aged parents are very rare. Let it be if it is said<BR>that =
they (the=20
old parents) do not need financial<BR>assistance as they are living on =
their=20
pension, but<BR>they will surely need attendance at the old age =
and<BR>dying=20
moments. With the belief that the special care<BR>must be given to the =
children=20
as they are the ones who<BR>will build and defend the nation in the =
future=20
,<BR>Japanese are looking after their children with utmost<BR>care and =
attention=20
(the work of disbursing new loans).<BR>With the thought that the aged =
persons=20
are no more<BR>useful, they are starting to call the elderly =
persons<BR>''=20
Sodiagomi'' (garbage that is difficult discard).<BR>The Japanese =
government=20
which is taking the<BR>responsibility of the aged persons is giving=20
special<BR>attention to the tasks of solving the problems<BR>concerning =
the=20
elderly persons who are called<BR>Lojinmondai in Japanese. =
<BR>&nbsp;<BR>In=20
Japan, once every year, the 15th of September is<BR>observed as '' the =
Day of=20
Grand- parents''. With the<BR>meaning that becoming aged is,=20
auspicious<BR>Omedetogozaimasu festivals are being held on that =
day.<BR>It=20
cannot be said that the remaining 364 days are the<BR>same as that day. =
The aged=20
also choose and make<BR>preparations to stay at the homes for the aged=20
or<BR>hospitals which look after the disabled or those who<BR>are not =
able to=20
look after themselves. But the elderly<BR>persons never have such sad =
feelings=20
that they are<BR>being cruelly neglected or that their children are=20
not<BR>worthy for them. As Japan is a very busy country, the<BR>old =
parents with=20
immense metta solve their own<BR>problems by choosing a suitable place =
for them,=20
making<BR>a determination that they are not going to give any<BR>trouble =
or=20
anxiety to their children who are very busy<BR>with their work round the =
clock.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I began to understand that the way =
of living=20
differed<BR>as they are based on the religion. I often gave talks<BR>in =
Japan at=20
various places. Sometimes my talks were<BR>participated by a large =
number of=20
aged persons. Based<BR>on a Japanese folklore, I always told a story to=20
the<BR>aged persons. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The story was as follows: =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Once upon a time, there was a hill =
called the=20
place<BR>where old parents were discarded. One day a man who<BR>was 30 =
years old=20
put his over 60-year-old father in a<BR>basket and discarded him at the =
hill.=20
The man's<BR>10-year-old son accompanied him to the hill. =
After<BR>discarding=20
his old father, the man and his son<BR>returned. On half way, the son =
said ''=20
Father you have<BR>forgotten the basket that you used in =
carrying<BR>grandpa.=20
Let's go back and take it.'' The man told his<BR>son '' That basket is =
no more=20
useful. We don't need to<BR>take it back home. Let's continue our =
journey=20
home.''<BR>Then the son said ''&nbsp; For you, this basket is no =
more<BR>useful.=20
But for me it is still useful. Because I have<BR>to use it to discard =
you. ''=20
The grandpas and grandmas<BR>were tearful after they had listened to my =
story.=20
They<BR>told me '' We want our children to hear such stories.<BR>If you =
come to=20
our towns next time to tell this story,<BR>we will send our children to =
you to=20
listen to your<BR>story.'' </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>At the meetings participated by a =
large number=20
of<BR>youths, I rarely gave such kind of talks. I showed<BR>them the =
pictures of=20
pagodas in Myanmar, telling them<BR>the traditions and culture of =
Myanmar. I=20
usually<BR>concluded my talks, urging them to visit =
Myanmar.<BR>Expressing the=20
feelings of Myanmar people in<BR>requesting assistance and investments =
was the=20
main<BR>item in my talks. Japan is included in the list of =
the<BR>developed=20
countries of the world. I thought that there<BR>was no sufferings in =
Japan which=20
is gaining material<BR>development rapidly. But every year the number=20
of<BR>suicides in Japan is not few. I had heard that the<BR>suicidal =
rate in=20
Japan was three times more than that<BR>of the previous year. Is it =
because of=20
their failure<BR>to find a place for mental refuge ? Following =
the<BR>teachings=20
of Buddha, we in Myanmar are always able to<BR>find a place for mental =
refuge. I=20
began to understand<BR>that Mahasantisukha Buddhist Missionary Centre=20
has<BR>emerged to disseminate the invaluable Theravada<BR>Buddhism in =
every part=20
of the world. I really love the<BR>traditions of Myanmar-giving due =
respects to=20
the aged,<BR>looking after and providing financial assistance =
to<BR>parents and=20
boldly facing the sufferings of the<BR>mundane world.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000=20

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01BF54A1.80A49200--