Information Sheet No.B-1200(I)

Subject: Information Sheet No.B-1200(I)        30th December 1999

MYANMAR INFORMATION COMMITTEE
YANGON

Information Sheet
No.B-1200(I)        30th December 1999

(1) School Family Day Continue

    Chairman of Myanmar Education Committee, Secretary-1
of the State Peace and Development Council Lt-Gen Khin
Nyunt  inspected booths of 1999-2000  School Family
Day on 29 December. The Secretary-1 inspected shops at
Education Book Fair which was opened on the ground
floor of Diamond Jubilee Hall,  domestic science
booths, Myanmar  cultural handicraft booths and
education promotion booths on the first floor, the
postcard drawing  and painting booth, model
multi-media teaching centres  on the second floor. On
the third floor, they also inspected Information
Society Landscape Booth, Institute of Education Booth,
Open University Learning  Centre, data-based booth,
Institute of Economics Booth  and teaching and
language skill booth. Paper  reading sessions hailing
the 1999-2000 School Family Day began on 29 December
in the Arts Hall, Convocation Hall and Science Hall of
 Yangon University. Resource persons read 10 papers on
education at the paper  reading session held in the
Arts Hall, 12 papers on social science and arts in the
Convocation Hall and 13 papers on science in the
Science Hall. Question and answer sessions were also
held  at the meetings which continue till 31 December.

(2) Demonstration of Modern Laboratory Equipment

    Demonstration of modern laboratory equipment
organized by Europe Continents Co. Ltd and  Biomeriux
Co. was held at Sedona Hotel  on  29 December.  The
Minister for Health and guests  observed automatic
biochemical analyser, automatic haematology analyser,
automatic  immunology analyser, coagulation analyser
and electrolyte analyser. Five papers on the equipment
 were submitted and officials replied to queries of
those present.

(3) Millennium Gems, Jade Emporium

    Gem and jade emporium hailing the new millennium
will be held from 10 to 15  January 2000 at  Myanma
Gems Mart. Organized by Union of Myanmar Economic
Holdings Limited, the millennium emporium  will sell
gems and jade  on bargain and through competitive
bidding  on 15 January at the venue. Local  buyers are
to pay K 4,000  for registration fees and foreigners $
20. Merchants can inspect the  stones at the venue
from  10 to 14 December. Private gem enterprises and
individuals can also display their gems and jade for
sale at the emporium. For more information,  contact
Myanmar Ruby Enterprise ( ph 287328 / 285582 ) at
former  Central Bank of Myanmar building  at  24/ 26
Sule Pagoda Road, Kyauktada Township  or Myanmar
Imperial  Jade ( ph 285074/ 285584) at  24/26  Sule
Pagoda road at the same building.

(4) Day Care Centres, Maternity Home Opened

    A day care centre was opened in Thongwa Township on
29 December and a  maternity home and a day care
centre in Sapyadebauk village, Kayan Township ,Yangon
Division.

(5)  Stimulant Tablets Seized in Lashio

    A combined team comprising members of regional
intelligence unit and Myanmar Police Force, acting on
information, searched the house of U Le Phar Mi, of
Shan State (North) ,on 15 December. The responsible
officials arrested Le Win Kyone (a) Win Hlaing,  At
Phan, Laukkai Township, Lu Chin Han, Lashio Township,
Law Haik Han, Kunlong Township  and Chit Lwin (a)  Ah
Yon,  Kutkai Township together with 601,000 stimulant
tablets bearing ''WY''  in six bags which were hidden
in the bed in the house and a van. Action in being
taken against the five under the Narcotic Drugs and
Psychotropic Substances  Law.

(6) Training Course on Natural Forest Management and
Plantation Establishment Techniques  Concludes

    Training course on Natural Forest  Management and
Plantation Establishment Techniques concluded at
Tawwin Hall of Forest Department Head Office on 29
December.  The six-week  course was conducted at
central forest development training and education
centre in Hmawby  from 23 December to 29 December
under forest technology cooperation  programme between
the Union of Myanmar and Lao People's Democratic
Republic.

(7) UPU  Letter Contest 15 January

    Universal Postal Union ( UPU) and UNESCO will
co-sponsor the 29th letter writing contest hailing the
World Post Day 2000. Myanmar a member of UPU organizes
the contest  annually. The Myanmar Telecommunications
Department, Myanmar Post and Telecommunications   and
Basic Education Department  will hold the contest at
basic education  schools of the entire nation
township-wise  on 15 January 2000.

(8) Gem Mining Plots to be Auctioned

    Gem mining plots the permitted  period of which will
expire in the year  2000 will be auctioned in accord
with the law, announced Gems Supervisory Central
Committee on 29 December.  Proposals for gem mining
plots the permitted  periods of which will expire
during the period from January to March 2000  are to
be submitted to Myanma  Gems Enterprise not later than
7 January 2000  and those due to  expire in April  and
June  not later  than 31 January. Contacts can be also
made with mining centres in Mogok, Lonkhin and Phakant
and offices in Mandalay, Myitkyina, Hkamti and Mongshu

(Loihsaunghtauk).

(9) Maykha Starts route in Rakhine State

    A ceremony to ply the route of Maykha ship of Malikha
Transpsort Co. Ltd was held in Sittway on 28 December.
The ship, 115 feet long and 12 feet wide, is equipped
with 1,550 HP engine and other modern equipment. It
can run at a speed of 25 to 35  nautical miles,
carrying 140 passengers.

                               Special Feature

        This office is presenting an article entitled
" Do You Really Have Amity?" written by Dr.Mya Mya Win
which appeared in New Light of Myanmar (Volume
VII,Number256-30 December 1999) for your reading
pleasure.

                            Do You Really Have Amity?

        The inauguration ceremony of Mahasantisukha Buddhist
Missionary Centre, which was built at Natchaung Ward,
Tamway Township, Yangon, was held on 17 December 1999.
My visit to Myanmar this time coincided with the
inauguration ceremony of the Mahasantisukha Buddhist
Missionary Centre, so I had the opportunity to attend
it. With  the leadership of International Buddhist
Missionary Agga Maha Pandita Agga Maha
Saddhammajotikadhaja Penang-Singapore Sayadaw
Bhaddanta Pannavamsa, Secretary-1 Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt,
on behalf of the State Peace and Development Council,
the Centre was built by the donors including the State
organizations. While paying respects to
Penang-Singapore Sayadaw Bhaddanta Pannavamsa at the
ceremony, I remembered an event 20 years ago. It was
when our family was staying at a hotel at Shinagawa
Ward in Tokyo. My eldest son was only five years old
then. My son who was playing with his younger sister
ran to me and said, ??Come and look mother . Here,
monks speaking in English are wearing robes of Myanmar
monks. They are very much similar to Myanmar monks .

         ?? A monk who closely followed my son said,
??We look like Myanmar monks as we are Myanmar monks.
You came from Myanmar???  While introducing each
other, we came to know that he was Penang-Singapore
Sayadaw Bhaddanta Pannavamsa. He said he was going to
visit the United States, giving us a visiting card and
inviting us to visit him at the possible time. As the
Sayadaws were staying in the rooms on the upper floor
in the same hotel with us, we had the opportunity to
pay respects to and have conversation with them. When
Myanmars meet each other in foreign countries, they
exchange  experiences and addresses, but rarely meet
each other again in Myanmar. I have met with the
Sayadaw several times. When I went to the United
States on business, I always visited Los Angeles. I
always went to the Sayadaw?s monastery. When I visited
Singapore, a friend of mine accompanied me to a
Myanmar monastery. Unexpectedly, I met the Sayadaw at
Singapore Monastery. ??We met each other in many
countries ??, said the Sayadaw. ??Please stay at my
house if you visited Japan next time??, I requested
him. Sayadaw had visited Japan two years ago. He
stayed at my house. I had a good time discussing with
the Sayadaw. At that time I was taking political
refuge in Japan. It can be said that during the time I
was opposing the Myanmar government. The Sayadaw gave
an ovada, saying ??You should visit your country at
least once. In my view what you are thinking and
saying is much different from what is really happening
in Myanmar. For any citizen, home is the best. As
Japan is the best place for Japanese, so also Myanmar
is the best place for Myanmars.

    Our land and water, especially Myanmar where
Theravada Buddhist is flourishing is the best place
for every Myanmar at their old age. There might be
requirements when endeavours of the present government
are assessed. But it is not as bad as you have
thought. Please look from the optimistic side of view
to find the good parts. You will understand what I
mean if you witness in person the situation of
Myanmar.?? Now, I am thinking that the Sayadaw's visit
to my house is like pushing me onto the right path .
The Sayadaw just visited Japan during his trip from
one country to another. He visited my house as we had
phone and mail contacts. It was sure that he didn?t
come to me to tell me about the good parts of Myanmar
government. Concerning my presentations, the Sayadaw
accepted the right parts and corrected  the wrong
parts. The Sayadaw?s ovada had made my wavering mind
to make a firm and right decision. Of the many
reasons, the Sayadaw?s ovada is the main force in
driving me to withdraw my refugee status and return to
Myanmar. When he was about to leave my house, he said
?? We have met each other in many countries. This time
I am looking for our reunion in Myanmar.??  This was
not the words of blessings. But I made a firm
determination in my mind to meet the Sayadaw in
Myanmar. Now I had a reunion with the Sayadaw.

    The exterior and interior designs of Mahasantisukha
Buddhist Missionary Centre were so much splendid.
There was reason which placed me in a noncommittal
position when I hadn?t known the objectives of
building the Centre yet. That was ??Why this Centre
was built although we already have many Sangha
Tekkathos in Myanmar ??? The Centre is to teach what
is necessary to members of the Sangha who had already
received the degrees from the Sangha Tekkathos in
enabling them to continue their missionary duties
abroad. The Centre will thoroughly teach the members
of the Sangha who will go abroad  for missionary
duties to know the basic facts such as the language,
traditions and culture and religion of the particular
country they are going to. In addition to conducting
courses for missionaries who will go abroad, the
Centre will also offer courses for foreigners who want
to learn Theravada  Buddhism in Myanmar. I praised and
said Sadu not only for the splendour of the building
but also for the lofty aims.