" Do You Really Have Amity?"

SOURCE:  Information Sheet No.B-1200(I) 30th December 1999
            MYANMAR INFORMATION COMMITTEE, YANGON

<< Special Feature >>

 This office is presenting an article entitled
" Do You Really Have Amity?" written by Dr.Mya Mya Win
which appeared in New Light of Myanmar (Volume
VII,Number256, 30 December 1999) for your reading
pleasure.

        " Do You Really Have Amity? "

The inauguration ceremony of Mahasantisukha Buddhist
Missionary Centre, which was built at Natchaung Ward,
Tamway Township, Yangon, was held on 17 December 1999.
My visit to Myanmar this time coincided with the
inauguration ceremony of the Mahasantisukha Buddhist
Missionary Centre, so I had the opportunity to attend
it. With  the leadership of International Buddhist
Missionary Agga Maha Pandita Agga Maha
Saddhammajotikadhaja Penang-Singapore Sayadaw
Bhaddanta Pannavamsa, Secretary-1 Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt,
on behalf of the State Peace and Development Council,
the Centre was built by the donors including the State
organizations. While paying respects to
Penang-Singapore Sayadaw Bhaddanta Pannavamsa at the
ceremony, I remembered an event 20 years ago. It was
when our family was staying at a hotel at Shinagawa
Ward in Tokyo. My eldest son was only five years old
then. My son who was playing with his younger sister
ran to me and said, ?e?fCome and look mother . Here,
monks speaking in English are wearing robes of Myanmar
monks. They are very much similar to Myanmar monks .

?e?f A monk who closely followed my son said,
?e?fWe look like Myanmar monks as we are Myanmar monks.
You came from Myanmar??f?f  While introducing each
other, we came to know that he was Penang-Singapore
Sayadaw Bhaddanta Pannavamsa. He said he was going to
visit the United States, giving us a visiting card and
inviting us to visit him at the possible time. As the
Sayadaws were staying in the rooms on the upper floor
in the same hotel with us, we had the opportunity to
pay respects to and have conversation with them. When
Myanmars meet each other in foreign countries, they
exchange  experiences and addresses, but rarely meet
each other again in Myanmar. I have met with the
Sayadaw several times. When I went to the United
States on business, I always visited Los Angeles. I
always went to the Sayadaw?fs monastery. When I visited
Singapore, a friend of mine accompanied me to a
Myanmar monastery. Unexpectedly, I met the Sayadaw at
Singapore Monastery. ?e?fWe met each other in many
countries ?e?f, said the Sayadaw. ?e?fPlease stay at my
house if you visited Japan next time?f?f, I requested
him. Sayadaw had visited Japan two years ago. He
stayed at my house. I had a good time discussing with
the Sayadaw. At that time I was taking political
refuge in Japan. It can be said that during the time I
was opposing the Myanmar government. The Sayadaw gave
an ovada, saying ?e?fYou should visit your country at
least once. In my view what you are thinking and
saying is much different from what is really happening
in Myanmar. For any citizen, home is the best. As
Japan is the best place for Japanese, so also Myanmar
is the best place for Myanmars.

Our land and water, especially Myanmar where
Theravada Buddhist is flourishing is the best place
for every Myanmar at their old age. There might be
requirements when endeavours of the present government
are assessed. But it is not as bad as you have
thought. Please look from the optimistic side of view
to find the good parts. You will understand what I
mean if you witness in person the situation of
Myanmar.?f?f Now, I am thinking that the Sayadaw's visit
to my house is like pushing me onto the right path .
The Sayadaw just visited Japan during his trip from
one country to another. He visited my house as we had
phone and mail contacts. It was sure that he didn?ft
come to me to tell me about the good parts of Myanmar
government. Concerning my presentations, the Sayadaw
accepted the right parts and corrected  the wrong
parts. The Sayadaw?fs ovada had made my wavering mind
to make a firm and right decision. Of the many
reasons, the Sayadaw?fs ovada is the main force in
driving me to withdraw my refugee status and return to
Myanmar. When he was about to leave my house, he said
?e?f We have met each other in many countries. This time
I am looking for our reunion in Myanmar.?f?f  This was
not the words of blessings. But I made a firm
determination in my mind to meet the Sayadaw in
Myanmar. Now I had a reunion with the Sayadaw.

The exterior and interior designs of Mahasantisukha
Buddhist Missionary Centre were so much splendid.
There was reason which placed me in a noncommittal
position when I hadn?ft known the objectives of
building the Centre yet. That was ?e?fWhy this Centre
was built although we already have many Sangha
Tekkathos in Myanmar ??f?f The Centre is to teach what
is necessary to members of the Sangha who had already
received the degrees from the Sangha Tekkathos in
enabling them to continue their missionary duties
abroad. The Centre will thoroughly teach the members
of the Sangha who will go abroad  for missionary
duties to know the basic facts such as the language,
traditions and culture and religion of the particular
country they are going to. In addition to conducting
courses for missionaries who will go abroad, the
Centre will also offer courses for foreigners who want
to learn Theravada  Buddhism in Myanmar. I praised and
said Sadu not only for the splendour of the building
but also for the lofty aims.

Mg Myanmar
A Myanmar citizen who loves Myanmar