Goodbye from burmanet-l (r)

  I was automatically unsubscribed by the BN editor and then subscribed to
BurmaNet news only list BurmaNews  and then unsubscribed.  This is
agrivating. I can still apparently get to BurmaNet but not BurmaNews.
Since Burma Net has it apparent connections to SOROS, I am now suspiscious
about it and this new IGC.TOPICA .

    Though at their web site: http://www.topica.com   it has an option to
create your own list, though I am not sure it is free.  BurmaNet 2 seems to
be still active.  Another option is creating another egroup.com list which
there seems to be 3 or more and also the list-site where myanmar made their
listbot link.

In a message dated 12/29/99 1:06:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
celsus@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< > From: Aung Soe <aungsoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 > To: support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx
 > Subject: Re: Goodbye from burmanet-l
 > Date: December 29, 1999 9:19 AM
 >
 > Is it a joke or real thing?  Answer.

 ------------------------------

 Yes, you could call it a joke and it would appear that the final laugh in
 this comedy of errors lies with the BurmaNet editor and the mysterious
 'powers that be' in Washington and New York that have chosen to shut off
 the taps of access to this freedom exchange.

 Remarkable that yours is the first faint voice of protest to be heard.
 Even more remarkable that this new form of censorship comes in a week when
 the 'powers that be in Rangoon' have squashed the tiny ray of cyber
 connectedness that was opening up in Burma and hauled off one of their own
 for questioning on suspicion of having passed along messages that were
 shared on the very Net that now itself enters the sacred circle of the
 CENSORSHIP of SILENCE.  Ah, well, we who raise our voices in these circles
 must be thankful for small mercies, I suppose.  At least, no prison term
 stares us in the face for our gentle words of protest.

 And what 'mess of pottage' will we, who have given away our 'birthright' of
 free expression, receive in return.  Take heart, good friend, a 'free'
 subscription to the BurmaNet News, perhaps even with pictures and maps and
 all other kinds of goodies are offered to make up for the fact that the
 editor and the 'mysterious powers that be' are rid, once and for all, of
 these troublesome, querulous, often uncouth, often uninformed, but
 nevertheless passionately committed voices of protest and of hope that have
 made the burmanet-l a lively forum of ideas.

 Admittedly the BurmaNet News has taken a turn for the better in this past
 month -- beginning to fulfil its important mission of giving priority to
 news from 'inside' Burma -- dare we hope it will continue?  I could imagine
 the BurmaNet News with a string of underground correspondents in every city
 in the country.  Impossible you say?  What about the correspondents
 throughout the Shan states whose news is regularly reported in the Shan
 Herald?   There are good sources, DVB has some, ABFSU and others are doing
 a great job.  Will they multiply?  We and the people of Burma who are
 hungry for news better hope so.

 But does this good news justify the bad, bad news that the nameless Editor
 of the BurmaNet News should cut him/herself off from communication with
 mere mortals like ourselves who may have our own two cents worth of news or
 comment to share with others?

 Alas, this noble experiment, this BurmaNet freedom exchange, ends not with
 a bang, not even with a whimper, but with the sweet voice of Natasha at
 Topica's customer support --  You have been removed -- Find another list.
 Sic transit gloria.

 celsus