Graduation of first intake at Defen

Subject: Graduation of first intake at Defence Services Institute of Medicine

SOURCE : The New Light of Myanmar ( Saturday, December 18, 1999 )

Graduation of first intake at Defence Services Institute of Medicine
Senior General Than Shwe gives guidance to guidance to safeguard Three Main
National Causes In Union spirit door to peace is kept open at all time

YANGON, 17 Dec-The Graduation Ceremony of the First Intake of the Defence
Services Institute of Medicine was held at the DSIM Parade Ground here this
morning, with an address delivered by Defence Services Commander-in-Chief
Senior General Than Shwe. First, Senior General Than Shwe?fs graduating cadets
marched past the Defence Services Commander-in-Chief.

Afterwards, the Senior General presented Aungsitthi Award and Excellence in
Training Award to Cadet Thant Lwin San and Excellence in Study Award to Cadet
Aung Moe Myint.
Then, the Senior General Than Shwe delivered an address.He said:

Today is the graduation day of the First Intake of the Defence Services
Institute of Medicine. Having graduated after studying science and medical
subjects at the Defence Services Institute of Medicine, you, Comrades are to
be assigned duties of the medical profession in the Tatmadaw. Just as a
historic milestone is to be erected today for the nation, and Tatmadaw
because you have, rough many years, acquired knowledge and success, it is
also a day when new strength is infused On such an auspicious occasion, I
will solemnly tell you what I have to say.

The aim of establishing the Defence Services Institute o f Medicine is to see
to ,the birth of medical officers with physical and moral prowess required in
the national armed forces which will safeguard Our Three Main National Cause
non- disintegration of the Union non disintegration of national solidarity
and perpetuation of sovereignty. The Defence Services Institute of Medicine,
in keeping with that aim, has fully imbued in you military knowledge up to
the senior Officer level, and, has also seen that you graduate with medical
knowledge at a level as high as other institutes of medicine.
In conclusion, I would like to say that you are the first batch of young
intellectual medical leaders born of the Defence Service Institute of
Medicine. Just as the world today is making progress all-round with the
passage of time, medicine is also making unbelievable strides. Modern and
sophisticated medical equipment are also making strides likewise. Therefore,
you, Comrades must-

-Live up to be exemplary individually and continually study the changes in
medicine, in keeping with the times,

-Strive for better progress and success applying theory have learned at the
Defence Services Institute of Medicine in practice to emerge as good sons who
will uphold the honour of the Institute,

-Strive to uphold the noble traditions of the Tatmadaw and conduct yourselves
befitting good leadership qualities,
Strive to combine the theory you have acquired with practice and experience
and play a part in building and peaceful, modern and developed new
nation,Specially innovate, invent and nurture the habit of studying, not
content with what you have learned thus far and aim at appearing for and
passing post-graduate courses and,

-Not forget the time you have passed at the institute and utilizing your
experience, and while serving your country your and your Tatmadaw, strive to
be ?gValiant doctors?f victorious soldier?h. With this I conclude.
Then, the Senior left the venue of graduation ceremony. After the ceremony,
the Senior General cordially met two award-winning cadets gather with their
parents at die assembly hall of the Defence Services Institute of Medicine.
Excerpts from Senior General Than Shwe?fs address

-For total defence of the developed and modern new nation, a ?gstrong and
capable Tatmadaw?f?f is indispensable.

-Medical servicemen must be imbued with the five virtues interest, goodwill,
compassion, sacrifice and example.
-It is because of the Tatmadaw?fs good discipline from the time it was
established to date that it is able to remain strong.
-Although our Tatmadaw is designated as Tatmadaw (Army, Navy, Air) according
to the nature of duties, it is the one Tatmadaw in entirety in national
defence.

-Union Spirit is the spirit that binds together all citizens who are under
the National Flag in which ever part of the nation they may reside.

-If agricultural mechanization succeeds, there will be food sufficiency and
while we strive towards that, we must also strive for industrialization.

-Tatmadawmen are prepared for the worst, and, whatever the danger we have to
confront, we have chosen how to tackle what at which stage.

-Tatmadaw is working together with the people for national development in the
various parts of the country with oneness of mind.

-As young leaders you must possess good character and conduct and good
attitude.

Mg Myanmar
A Myanmar citizen who loves Myanmar