Letter written by a student staying

Subject: Letter written by a student staying in Manee Loi Camp

Dear Burmanet Editor,

Could you please put this message in burmanet-l...

****** This message received from Maneeloy Burmese Student Centre to me
by fax for distribution

We Need Help

On 2nd December three students from Manee Loi Camp went to buy cocks
within the village area but they were arrested by Aw Saw calling in
Thai, militia men by the MOI. Among those students one of them was
rejected by UNHCR and being sent to the border as an illegal immigrant
however; the rest two students legally staying in the camp were sent to
SDC (Special Detention Center) for they did not sign at the police
station. According to the MOI  source authorities ordered the students
verbally not to go beyond the monastery form the left side of the camp
and terminal point from the right side of the camp. From my point they
were sentenced by the Thai police without mentioning any specific laws.

On 3rd December, a Karen man came back form Bangkok for submitting an
appeal letter to the UNHCR was arrested by Thai militia men responsible
security for BSC (Burmese Students Center). They scolded him using rude
words, slapped and kicked him while he was being questioned. Then they
extorted his watch and50 baht and handed to the local police station.

On 4th December, when two students from BSC were walking along Manee Loi
village, about 50 m from the camp they were captured by Thai guards and
immediately to the police station. They were arrested though they are
persons of concern to the UNHCR being registered in the camp supervised
by MOI.

At the police station they were questioned and had to sign on the paper
written in Thai. Although they did not understand at all, they had to
sign and the police opened files for attempting to flee the camp without
permission.

On5th December, (72nd birth day of His Majesty King Bumibol) those three
students, Zaw Lin, Pye Oak and Shan Pwer were sent to the court. During
the trial, being faced language barrier, those two students tried to
submit what had happened in English to the judge. For judge could not
understand English their appeal was rejected and had to confess for
breaking the Thai's law.

I had read the laws for Burmese Students' Center issued on 15 May 1995
by the governor of Ratchaburi integrated 72 acts in which that case may
be taken by article 66. That meant, any Burmese students left the camp
without permission believed not to come back again to BSC, the camp
commander shall report the case to the permanent secretary of MOI to
order to revocation of safe area status. If the offender returns to
report to BSC within appropriate period, the authorities should take one
to three months suspension of leave.

Eventually those students were sentenced to 21 days detain in the
custody or fine 1,500 baht. The Karen man being accused of illegal
immigrant was sentenced 45 days in custody or fine 3,000 baht.

On 8 December, two residents paid the fines according to the acts.
However, they were released on 9 December because the MOI would not want
to bring them back to the camp. From the evening of 8th December until
their release, they hadn't got any food ration in the custody.

At 7 a.m. on 8 December, three Burmese students Min Htut Ban, Myint Aung
and Ko Ko Oo were arrested by Aw Saw very close to BSC. The place where
they were arrested was only 50 yards from the camp. While they were
being detained, they even showed their ID issued by UNHCR as persons of
concern, police denied their claims.

Police arrested them of attempting to sneak out from safe area
illegally. Finally they were transferred to Pak-thaw police station and
they weren't provided any food on that day in the custody. The next day
one of three detainees, Min Htut Ban was sent to Ratchaburi court and
sentenced to 21 days in custody or fine 1,500 baht. The rest, Ko Ko Oo
and Myint Aung were deported without trial to Ranong Province on that
day. After being paid fine 1,500 baht to the court Min Htut Ban was
freed and brought back to the camp.

On 9 December, 1999 about 9.00 a.m., Win Naing who legally entered the
camp on 7th December went to the monastery beside the camp for sending
some books to the monk. Although he had to take three books he forgot
one book and so he went back to his resident place called UN 6. On his
way to the monastery tow militiamen in front of the monetary apprehended
him. He replied that he had come there to send books for the monk. But
one of the guards tried to beat him and then commanded him to sit down.
For he was being accused of avoiding their questioning he was hand
cuffed almost one hour. Because of students complains about MOI's unjust
arrest in time, he was brought back to the camp about 11:00 a.m.

>From that scene do they have rights to arrest us only for going to the
monastery according to their laws. On the other hand, the UNHCR's field
officer responsible for MBSC Ms. Erma knew what had happened, she wanted
to ignore. The MOI wants to prove its strength to oppress us in the
close camp being called "Safe Area".

My point is to know all readers how we, Burmese students are being
restricted without any reasons, laws by Thai authorities in Manee Loi
camp.

We are humans and have to have basic rights as others. We are not
prisoner or detainees. We left our beloved homes for political
situations and firm beliefs. We really need help from the people around
the world to request Thai authorities to change the plan aimed to be a
concentration camp and treat us as human beings.

It was written by a student staying in Manee Loi Camp.

You share a similar passion. You align with common interests.
You connect over a favorite topic. You belong at Topica.
http://www.topica.com/t/10