Special Feature : "Shoulder To Shou

Subject: Special Feature : "Shoulder To Shoulder "

SOURCE: Information Sheet N0. B-1180(I) 12th December 1999
          MYANMAR INFORMATION COMMITTEE, YANGON

Special Feature

This office is presenting one of the article entile "Shoulder To Shoulder" written by Ei Moe Khine from the TODAY Magazine ( Volume 7 November 1999) for your reading pleasure.

Shoulder To Shoulder

In the Union of Myanmar, it is a familiar sight to see women taking up all sorts of work and business. It is noticeable that Myanmar women are as free as European women. One thing which looks a drawback is that women are for bidden to go up the pagoda terraces or to enter the sacred part of a pagoda or a temple. We have some examples like the Shwe Myintzu Pagoda of Indawgyi Lake and the Kyaikkhami Pagoda of the Mon State. Women are not allowed to step on the marble plinth of Shwe Myintzu Pagoda of , in which some relics of the Buddha are enshrined. At the Kyaikkhami Pagoda near Mawlamyine, the rock mass under the Buddha's relics, so women cannot enter the chamber. This prohibition, from the Myanmar women's point of view, is not discrimination. However, questions on this point arise from foreign ladies who visit our country.

>From a social aspect, there has been no suppression on women all along in Myanmar history. Myanmar Buddhist Law, based on Myanmar traditions, customs and culture, provides Myanmar Buddhist women with the same equal rights as men. The 1954 Buddhist Women's Special Marriage and Succession Act has been promulgated for protection of Myanmar Buddhist women who marry foreigners, or men who profess religions other than Buddhism.

The State protects all Myanmar women and gives them rights by personal law, customary law and the Penal Code. The 1974 constitution includes the status of Myanmar women and the rights vested in them. Its Article 22 states that " all citizens shall be equal before the law, regardless of race, religion, status or sex." Article 154 states that women shall enjoy freedom of rights guaranteed by law as regarding marriage, divorce, partition of property, succession custody of children. By law, the wife is absolute mistress of her own property and person. Both the husband's name and the wife's are frequently used in business and legal proceedings.

At one time on Kyaikhtiyo Hill, I had to tell a foreign lady that women are not allowed to cross over the small bridge to the golden boulder topped by the small stupa. At that, the lady's husband grinned, put up his thumb, and said, "See? Men are greater." He said it teasingly, but I couldn't help a bit of retort. I said, "That's not true. Women here share the same social and legal rights equally with men." Then, the gentleman laughed good-humouredly.

I faced a similar encounter when I accompanied some Westerners to the Inle Phaung-daw Oo Pagoda. Women are not allowed to enter the close quarters of the five Buddha images. The foreign ladies asked me why it was so. When I replied carelessly, "It's because we are the weaker sex", the ladies exclaimed, "Weaker sex!, wide-eyed. So there! I had to say some comforting words to them. I said, " Now, now. Please don't fell dejected. We can venerate it from a close distance, as it is only a small surrounding, to our satisfaction. I understand how I would fell if I were in your shoes. Women are referred to as the weaker sex, only because of their femininity. They are not regarded as inferior to men. Women have to undergo natural suffering like menstruation, pregnancy, and giving birth. That is why it is considered not proper for women to climb up, or tread on some places where Buddha's relics are enshrined." On hearing this, the ladies looked convinced but they asked, "What happens if!
 some women disobey? I replied , "Well, I haven't seen it with own eyes but I have learnt about sudden occurrence of storms, earthquakes, and disasters when women go there." After I had said that, a tall blonde asked, "what if there were no men at all?" " I replied calmly," then our human world will come to an end." All the ladies laughed, for they sensed the humour in my reply.

"Right now, I will show you an example that indicates the equal status of men and women." Saying so, I pointed out to the joined names of husband and wife- as donors-inscribed on a part of the pagoda wall. "Myanmar women have their own names and keep them after marriage. They have enjoyed the same rights as men since the days of the monarchs. So, we need not fell depressed, as we have every right to prove our abilities, shoulder to shoulder with men. In some cases, we even excel them, don't we?" I concluded, Judging by the ladies' look on their faces, they were consoled.

At present, our State Government is making efforts to promote the development of Myanmar women by laying down effective programmes. The Myanmar National Committee for Women's Affairs (MNCWA) was formed on 3rd July 1996 to carry out activities for the advancement of women. The Myanmar National Working Committee for Women's Affairs (MNWCWA) was formed on 9th October 1996 to implement the plan of action for women's Affairs.

The Myanmar Women Entrepreneurs Association (MWEA), formed in 1995, is a non governmental organization to enhance the role of Myanmar women. The Myanmar Women Sports Federation (MWSF) was formed in 1991 to promote the participation of Myanmar women in sports. The Maternal and child Welfare Association (MCWA) was formed in 1991 to promote the health and well-being of mothers and children. There are also women's cooperatives and religious associations striving to promote the status of Myanmar women.

Today's Myanmar women have important roles in domestic, productive and community activities. Human resources include a large number of skilled women in agriculture and industry. Women in both government service and private establishments occupy all levels to highest management positions.

Myanmar women, as mothers, work in directly for the development of the nation. A mother's major role is to provide a happy family life. The development of the family contributes towards the development of the State. There is no denying that Myanmar women constitute a good portion of the working force in the building of modern, developed nation.

Ref; "Women: Active Participants in Nation Building" by Daw Khin Aye Win,
(Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Yangon)

Mg Myanmar
A Myanmar citizen who loves Myanmar