(no subject) (r)

NTERVIEW-Briton vows to fight on in Myanmar

By David Brunnstrom

BANGKOK, Dec 1 (Reuters) - A Briton serving 17 years for pro-democracy
activism in military-ruled Myanmar has not wavered in his convictions and has
no plans to appeal for early release, his mother said on Wednesday.

Diana Mawdsley said after her first visits to her son James since his
September arrest and jailing in remote northwestern Kengtung town that he was
keeping his spirits up with the Bible and works of Soviet political prisoner
Alexander Solzhenitsyn.

``James wants to fight on robustly. At the moment he has no plans to make any
sort of appeal.

``He says there's no judicial process as we know it in Burma and whether he
serves one month, one year, or seventeen years, it will be up to the junta to
decide,'' she told Reuters. ``But I would say as his mother, I'd like to see
him out of there.''

James Mawdsley, 26, from Lancashire, was jailed after illegally entering
Myanmar in September to distribute pro-democracy leaflets. It was his third
arrest there in two years and the government has said he could not expect
mercy.

His mother said he was ``very, very pale and pasty'' due to solitary
confinement for all but 30 minutes daily exercise, but otherwise appeared in
good health.

``He's not lost weight and is in cracking good spirits. He will not make one
single complaint about himself.''

But he had complained to prison authorities about treatment of local
prisoners, who he said had been beaten by guards.

Diana Mawdsley said she believed her son must sometimes feel deep despair and
loneliness. ``But he's determined not to worry us and we're determined not to
worry him. There must be a point at which we all break, but at the moment
James is nowhere near it.''

Her son told her he had not been tortured while serving this term. Last year
after release from 99 days in Yangon's notorious Insein Jail, he reported
being beaten with bamboo poles, having staves rolled down his shins and being
deprived of water.

She said he also praised fellow Briton Rachel Goldwyn, who has been slammed
by activists for refusing to criticise Myanmar's military. Goldwyn was
released after serving less than two months of a seven-year jail term for an
anti-government protest.

James was being watched round the clock in his larger than average cell -- by
six guards in the daytime and two at night.

After a prison inspection by Red Cross officials, he was given a piece of
wood as a seat for his lavatory bucket.

James, deeply religious, was making a determined effort to keep clean and
intellectually alert in jail, and would dream of building a school for
refugees on the Thai-Myanmar border. ``That keeps him going, that thought,''
she said.

Mawdsley said she was grateful the government had allowed her four hour-long
visits to her son, but thought she could have been allowed longer as she had
come so far. Her husband plans a visit in January, followed by her three
other children.

``I told the military intelligence man that we planned to come every two
months and he looked absolutely appalled at the thought of this wave of
Mawdsleys coming over,'' she joked.