Bangkok Post(1/12/99)

the stranger side of the re-opening of the border between Burma and
Thailand.<br>
One not so fine day the Burmese closed their borders to Thailand
apparently in order to reduce tensions stemming from the embassy siege
and ensure calm in the area (Bangkok Post, Nov 24).<br>
Surely it can be seen that they did the opposite; tensions rose
significantly during the time the border was closed as traders in the
area effectively lost income, with consequences for the Thai government.
These tensions were raised even further on the Thai side by the bad
timing of the repatriation of illegal workers.<br>
More than seven weeks later, the Thai foreign minister has a little talk
with the regime and seemingly the situation on the border is back to
normal (Post , Nov 26).<br>
My point is, the Burmese have folded far too easily. The situation cannot
possibly return to normal after one round of negotiations and seven weeks
of tension.<br>
I urge caution when dealing with the Burmese regime and it is best not to
enjoy how quiet and peaceful it is until we know this capricious regime's
motives for yet another sudden change of heart.<br>
<b>Athelas, Oxford, England<br>
<BR>