Statement upon the long-term closur

Subject: Statement upon the long-term closure of Univeraities.

Statement upon the long-term closure of Universities and Colleges in Burma

1. We, All Burma Federation of Student Unions, clearly express the fact
that universities and colleges have been open for a total of only 30 months
since the military regime coup d'etat in 1988, until 1996. The students
were forced to graduate in shortened periods, after only 3 months
coursework; then the schools were closed for 4 months.  This cycle has
continued sporadically since 1988. In 1996, the military regime shut down
most universities and colleges. In Aug 1998, the regime opened the
universities to students, then after only 1 month forced them to sit for
their final exams - abruptly concluding one academic year.  Over 400,000
students who have graduated high school since the 1996-97 academic year are
still waiting to join the universities and colleges.
2. At the same time, the regime has set up and been running a military
medical institute, a military technical institute and a military computer
university. Although the diploma course, the international training course
and the international technique course are operating inside Burma, the
ordinary civilian students are not able to attend due to high tuition costs.
3. So, because of this situation, many students do not have access to an
education and it stands as a grave danger to the future of Burma. Because
the student can not study, most students and youths are forced to work
whatever jobs are available. Some are despondent regarding their lives
within Burma and many have become mentally degenerated.  Moreover, because
of the difficulties of their survival, students have been seeking to study
abroad and in neighboring countries; both through legal and illegal ways.
4. We believe that all the conditions regarding the educational crisis and
the Burmese students is of utmost importance for the ruling military
government, as well as all the nationalities within Burma.  Every Burmese
person has the duty to work together to solve the current educational
impasse.  We must continue the struggle to create an environment where the
universities can function equally and the students can secure their rights.
5. We, All Burma Federation of Student Unions, earnestly call upon all the
nationalities within Burma - including teachers, professors, academicians,
education workers, monks and respective persons - in order to pressure the
military government to open all the universities equally. We would also
like to request international student organizations, governments and civic
groups to support and work to open all the universities equally in Burma,
with sympathy for the Burmese students.

Foreign Affairs Committee
All Burma Federation of Student Unions.
25 Nov 1999.

For more information, please contact to 66-55-543 001.

Foreign Affairs Committee
All Burma Federation of Student Unions.
P.O Box 34
Maesot