21/10/99:LETTER TO UNGA 3RD COMM.CH

Subject: 21/10/99:LETTER TO UNGA 3RD COMM.CHAIRMAN,H.E.GALUSKA.

WRITTEN SUN 14 NOV 99; 6:00AM

ENCLOSED:
(1) LETTER TO UNGA 3RD COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN, H.E.VLADIMIR GALUSKA 21/10/99
(2) HOW TO WRITE TO UN OFFICIALS (TIPS FOR FIRST TIMERS)
(3) LETTER TO UN SECRETARY-GENERAL 14/10/99
*******
Following is letter to the 3rd Committee which UNGA charged with
responsibility for drafting Assembly resolutions + reposted letter to
Secretary-General on 14/10/99. Our friends are urged to continue writing
letter to the chairman of 3rd committee and various UN Officials as
recommended in the letters.

Meanwhile, the desperation for displaced Burmese people in Thailand is
growing by the day --so do are of student refugees in Maneeloy village.
The Royal Thai Government, on the surface, appears encouraging the third
country resettlement as solution to those refugees--and few countries
promised to take some of the students. But we have to remind Royal Thai
Government that, by simply removing students from Maneeloy camps via
resettlement, the Burmese refugee problem is not going to go away. The
same logic is applied for the problem of displaced Burmese workers --
deportation will not solve problems. The Royal Thai Government is better
to concentrate its efforts to raise matters at the United Nations
General Assembly and with the UN Security Council.

On the other hand, I do not have a 'high expectations' for the
capability of resettlement of refugees to the third countries such as
Australia. I will post few more on that later.--U Ne Oo.
---
(1) LETTER TO THE UNGA 3RD COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN, H.E. VLADIMIR GALUSKA

Dr U Ne Oo
18 Shannon Place
Adelaide SA 5000
Australia

21st October 1999.

H.E. Vladimir Galuska
Chairman, Third Committee
 of the 54th UN General Assembly
Permanent Representative for Czech Republic
1109 Madison Avenue
New York N.Y. 10028, U.S.A.
(FAX:+1-212-772-0586)

Dear Sir,

re: The UN General Assembly Resolution on Burma

I am a Burmese exile in Australia and I am writing to Your Excellency
for matters regarding with situation in Burma. In this connection, I
enclosed my recent report,"BURMA:Time for UN Engagement", together with
various other communications. I appeal your committee and 54th General
Assembly to (1) recognise the formation and the mandate of Committee
Representing the People's Parliament; (2) recommend to send incountry
human rights monitors; (3) impose international investment ban on Burma
and (4) recommend to set up a special UN tribunal to investigate death
in custody cases and massacres that occurred in Burma.

As a refugee in Australia since 1992, I earnestly appeal your committee
and the General Assembly to look into the plight of many of my
country-men living in Burma's neighbouring countries and to take
measures to solve these refugee problems. In particular, the General
Assembly should request UN Security Council to create unhindered access
for the international human rights and humanitarian NGOs, UNHCR and
especially the UN Human Rights Special Rapporteur, Judge Rajsoomer
Lallah, to various parts within Burma.

In closing, I thank you for your kind attention to this matter. Your
kind help in these regards will help alleviate sufferings of the
oppressed and dispossessed Burmese people.

Yours respectfully
(Sd. U Ne Oo)

Copy to:

1. Mrs Kirsten Gelan, Vice-chair person, Third Committee of 54th UN
General Assembly,(Permanent Representative of Denmark), One Dag
Hammarskjold Plaza, 885 Second Avenue, 18th Floor, New York N.Y.
10017-2201, U.S.A.

2. Ms Kate Starr Newell, Secretary, Third Committee Secretariat.

WRITTEN 27 OCT 99; 6:00AM /*reposted**/

(2) TIPS FOR FIRST TIMERS HOW TO WRITE LETTERS TO UN
TO ALL OUR FRIENDS ON INTERNET:

re: Burma resolution at the 53rd UN General Assembly

Enclosed is my letter to UN Secretary-General, together with the report,
"BURMA: Time for UN Engagement", regarding with the 1999 United Nations
General Assembly resolution on Burma. Please write letter/faxes to UN
Secretary-General and other United Nations officials of which addresses
given below. Those who are living in European Countries, USA, Canada and
Australia, please also ask your government to draft and sponsor strong
resolution on Burma. (TO READ MY REPORT, VISIT MY HOMEPAGE.
 http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~uneoo/a151099.html

WRITING LETTERS TO UNITED NATIONS AND GOVERNMENTS

For those who are new to letter writing, following tips may be helpful:

(1) Your letters to these UN/Govt. officials do not need to be lengthy
or explanatory. About one/two page of letter summarising what you like
UN to do on Burma situation would be sufficient. Easiest way is just
copy/reproduce the recommendation given in the enclosed paper, "BURMA:
Time for UN Engagement" and ask United Nations General Assembly to
introduce those measures in its resolution.

(2) When you write to these officials, it is not necessary to quote my
name nor you do not need to exactly reproduce the whole recommendations.
In fact, the recommendations can be tailored into you own likings: for
example, "imposing investment sanction" can be replaced by "full
economic sanction". By the same token, the recommendation of  "UN
Security Council to look into matters of Burmese military junta's
involvement in drug trafficking " can be translated to write to United
States Government to "issue the warrant on the junta leaders for drug
trafficking" etc.

(3) Your letters to these UN/Govt. officials are important whether you
write as individual or on behalf of an organisation. This is because in
the field of advocacy, the participation from diverse people and their
views are very important. One person, however articulate in advocacy, is
not enough to influence the United Nations or a Government. By  the
participation of grassroots individuals and organisations, these
politicians at UN/Govt may take into account of the matters.

(4) When you write to these officials, you must write the letter on
paper and send it by post/fax and must include your name/address etc
(anonymous letters are not usually acceptable). You may choose to
broadcast your letter on Internet for information. However, the
officials from UN and Government Departments usually do not read
Internet and therefore you still must send your letter by post/fax. It
is always better to communicate with courteous letters to these
officials.

(5) Those Burmese having difficulty to send letters, for example people
living in refugee camps etc in Thailand/India/Malaysia, I offer my
help.  You can e-mail me (your address and name must be included) and I
am happy to forward hard copy to these UN officials.

(3)LETTER TO UN SECRETARY-GENERAL KOFI ANNAN
Dr U Ne Oo
18 Shannon Place
Adelaide SA 5000
Australia

Mr Kofi Annan
Secretary-General
United Nations Headquarters
New York NY 10017, USA.
FACSIMILE: (+1-212)963-1395

Dear Secretary-General:

re: Burma Resolution at 54th Session of UNGA

Please find enclosed paper, "Burma: A time for UN Engagement", regarding
with current political and human rights situation in Burma. I request
the Secretary-General to take into account of the issues raised in this
paper in preparing for the UN General Assembly resolution on Burma. I
especially would like Secretary-General to support the 54th UNGA
recognising the Committee Representing the People's Parliament (CRPP) in
Burma. In this connection, I like to note that the failure of 53rd UNGA
to recognise CRPP is responsible for the numerous hardships experienced
by the National League for Democracy and opposition activists during
1999. I very much hope that such inaction of UNGA on Burma not be
repeated this year.

I also request the UNGA to impose international investment ban and
international arms embargo on Burma.

I also ask Secretary-General to formally expand your good office works
on Burma to include internaitonal diplomats from major democracies, and
set up a United Nations Contact Group for Burma.

I also ask Secretary-General to encourage the Royal Thai Government to
solve Burma's refugee problems with the help of UN High Commissioner for
Refugees; and the UNSC to take immediate measure to deploy incountry
human rights monitors and humanitarian organisation in Burma.

In closing, I thank Secretary-General for your kind attnetion to this
matter.

Your respectfully and sincerely
Sd. U Ne Oo.

PLEASE SEND COPIES TO:

1) H.E. Theo-Ben Gurirab, President, 54th Session of United Nations
General Assembly, (Permanent Representative of Namibia to UN), 135 East
36th Street, New York N.Y. 10016, USA. (FAX:+1-212-685-1561)

2) H.E. Arnold Peter van Valsum, President of UN Security Council,
(Permanent Representative of Kingdom of Netherlands to the UN), 235 East
45th Street 16th Floor, New York N.Y. 10017, USA. (FAX:+1-212-370-1954)

3) H.E. Vladimir Galuska, Chairman, Third Committee of the 54th UN
General Assembly, (Permanent Representatife for the Czech Republic),
1109 Madison Avenue, New York N.Y. 10028, U.S.A. (FAX:+1-212-772-0586)

--
HTTP://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~uneoo
EMAILS: drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx, uneoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx