NEWS - Myanmar Frees Opposition Mem

Subject: NEWS - Myanmar Frees Opposition Members

Myanmar Frees Opposition Members

 .c The Associated Press

 YANGON, Myanmar (AP) - The military regime has freed all members of the
women's and youth wings of Myanmar's main opposition party who were
detained since September 1998, the party said Thursday.

The National League for Democracy, headed by Nobel Peace laureate Aung
San Suu Kyi, said the final group of detainees were freed Nov. 4.

No figure was given for other party members remaining in custody, though
they are estimated to number in the dozens. Hundreds more have been
imprisoned over the years for separate offenses.

Recently released members said they were not tortured and did not have
to sign statements to obtain their freedom. They had been detained in
military camps or prisons.

``We were treated well during our 14 months' stay,'' said Tun Aung, 26,
a youth wing member who was freed with 17 others. ``Our usual dish was
either boiled beans or mixed vegetables, but we were given meat once a
week.''

The crackdown by the ruling State Peace and Development Council was a
bid to smash the party after Suu Kyi and other leaders created a
committee to represent a parliament elected in 1991.

The National League for Democracy overwhelmingly won the elections, but
the military ignored the result and never released its hold on power.
The military has ruled Myanmar, also known as Burma, since 1962.

AP-NY-11-11-99 1023EST