Invitation to join the 'Hydroinform

Subject: Invitation to join the 'Hydroinformatics Asia-Pacific Forum'

Dear list participants,

Since 'Hydroinformatics' is defined as the application of information
technology in the widest sense to problems of the aquatic environment,
it includes social and cultural dimensions at the heart of its paradigm.
'Hydroinformatics' endeavours to promote a cross-disciplinary field of
study applicable in every part of the world. Combining technological,
human-sociological and more general environmental interests, including
an ethical perspective, the Hydroinformatics Asia-Pacific Forum has
been evolved out of these founding concepts.

The Water, Research and Training Centre (WRTC) is a non-governmental,
non-profit, educational foundation, as well as a knowledge centre.
It was originally formed for the Burmese peoples by promoting and
improving their access to research and training opportunities and
education in the water and rural sector in Burma and abroad.
The WRTC's international centre is in Delft, the Netherlands, and
its Asian-Pacific hub is in Bangkok, Thailand. The web site,
http://wrtcburma.org, already provides information about current
activities, but it has so far been mostly concerned with Burmese
water-related issues, gender issues and the regional consultation
process for Vision 21 in the water supply, sanitation and hygiene
sectors.

It has become increasingly clear, however, that the subjects that
are discussed have a wider interest within the Asian-Pacific region.
Similarly, many events occurring within the region are of concern
within the global as well as local contexts, such as the Burmese
context. Accordingly, the WRTC is now taking the initiative of
setting up a 'Hydroinformatics Asia-Pacific Forum' for discussing
water-related issues that are of a general interest in the region.
Initially this will be based on an email mailing list online serviced
by the WRTC on 'Hydroinformatics-Asia-Pacific@xxxxxxxxxxx'. The
description of the egroups.com is attached for your technical
support. The forum will later be moved into a private forum/chat
room on the WRTC web site. Among the subjects that may be of
interest are those relating to the relevance of papers published in
the 'Journal of Hydroinformatics' to problems in the Asian and
Pacific Region.

May I invite you, in my capacity as a governor of the WRTC, to
contribute and participate in this forum.

Prof. dr. M.B. Abbott
Emeritus Professor, Hydroinformatics
IHE, Delft, the Netherlands

eGroup Description:

This list is intended to introduce and promote Hydroinformatics in
our Asian-Pacific region in order to help improve the existing
knowledge flows. From there we could help improve the quality of
life for all people living in the region.

The interplay between the world of the waters and our own
intercessions in this world is dictated entirely by flows of
information. We accordingly give this interplay a special name: we
call it 'hydroinformatics', as a joining together of our view upon
the hydrosphere of our planet - the world of the waters - and our
information flows. Hydroinformatics actually extends further than
measuring and computing, as it must take cognisance of legal aspects
of water use, and even more general social aspects again, but still
it treats all these in terms of information flows. 'Hydroinformatics'
is then the principal way that water engineers now go about their
work in the world of the waters.

  Email mailing list address is:
           hydroinformatics-asia-pacific@xxxxxxxxxxx
  Subscribe