Waipa District Council makes water

Subject: Waipa District Council makes water an election issue (fwd)

Dear Burmanet readers,

Excuse me, here I am again, assuming that some will find the following
posting interesting. Please enjoy as much as I did, or, forgive me.

With metta and respect,

Dr. Khin Ni Ni Thein
WRTC
The Water, Research and Training Centre (WRTC) for a new Burma is
a non-governmental, non-profit, educational foundation, explicitly
apolitical in nature, working for the Burmese peoples by promoting
and improving their access to research and training opportunities
and education in the water and rural sector in Burma and abroad.
P.O. Box 118, 2600 AC Delft, The Netherlands.
http://wrtcburma.org
Tel. +31-15-2151814, Fax +31-15-214 39 22, E-mail nin@xxxxxx

----------------- Forwarded Information --------------------
Subject: Waipa District Council makes water an election issue

To: Waipa, Local, Democracy, e-mail, news, server
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:16:15 +1300

Waipa District Council makes water an election issue

Tuesday, 19 October 1999

The recent news of the Waipa District Council dealing with overseas owned
United Water has placed the Waipa water issues into a new direction
according to Alliance Karapiro candidate John Pemberton.

United water is owned by the British company Thames Water and the French
company Compaignie Generale des Eaux who have been going around the world
in a bid to control all water assets.

"Even with the National Party backing away from water reforms for 18
months, the Waipa District Council have decided to embrace the reforms,"
John Pemberton said.  "In doing so they are ignoring their ratepayers and
residents."

"Waipa District Council's decision to make discussions with United Water
has made this an election issue.  The Alliance is the only party that can
save Waipa water from the money hungry foreign interests."

"Our message over the water issue has been very clear to the public, that
we will stop any corporatisation or privatisation of Waipa water, and if
the reforms proceed before we can stop them, they will be repealed."

"As an MP in Parliament I will fight to retain Waipa water in public
ownership and operation."

"What are the other candidates and parties truly offering in the way of
protecting Waipa residents with their water.  The Alliance was there from
the beginning and we are the only party that will do anything about it."

"Any vote other than the Alliance on both the Party and electorate votes,
is a vote to put Waipa water into overseas hands."