Letter to editor-Bangkok Post

Bangkok Post<br>
Date: 25 October 1999<br>
I would like to clarify on my statement which appeared on 25th October
issue of Bangkok Post. There were no suchharsh words like &quot; PM's Vow
Empty&quot; as mentioned in the paper. What I said was not correctly and
fully described.<br>
In responding to the Thai Government measures on Burmese students in
Thailand, what I described was that the Thai Government was taking the
necessary measures both in its national and international interests. It
is very naive to state that the government of Thailand will act only in
international interest.<br>
I had also tried to point out that those measures are mostly focused on
the students in Bangkok and Maneeloy, but we have not been informed what
the policy toward the Burmese Students groups like ABSDF operating on the
border is. I also mentioned that we are luckybecause it all happened with
Chuan Government. There could have been a different policy and different
measures if it happened with the Chavalit Government. And we still don't
know about the Thai army's position who is practically existing in the
field.<br>
If you can read my points, there was deviation in that article from what
I described, and this can lead to misunderstanding by the Thai
Governmentand the Thai people. I think that the solution taken by Thai
Government is not on track. Here are some friendly suggestions;<br>
Firstly, the Thai government should look beyond the incidents caused by
some of Burmese students. Sending the Burmese students out of the country
can neither prevent nor solve the problems Thailand faces. The existence
of military dictatorship in Burma is the main root cause of those
problems which have spilled over into neighboring countries. More and
more people have come to realize that the only way to have regional
stability and security is to get rid of the military regime in
Burma.<br>
Secondly, if the Thai government wants to prevent unwanted problems
caused by exiled groups and individuals, it should take a more formal
cooperation with Burmese democratic movement and help us in our attempt
to solidify our movement so that we can take responsibility. It will be
wise and valuable to allow the Burmese democratic forces to exercise
freedom of expression. This will make the movement more visible and
prevent unwanted things from taking place on Thai soil. These are the few
big steps the government of Thailand should take for its short and long
term interests.<br>
Finally, in taking measures to prevent undesired things, we believe that
the Thai government has never meant to do harm to the democratic
movement. The ethnic groups have been living along the border for over
forty years and the democratic forces over 11 years. They have never
thought of insulting the generosity of Thailand and misbehaving to
discredit their own movement. Our cause is a right and just one and we
want the world, including Thailand, to know that, like them, we want to
be free. <br>
There are good and bad elements in every society, and we hope and believe
that the Thai government and Thai people will not see the Burmese
democratic forces in the wrong light.<br>
I also would like to request to the media to please take the complete
view and meaning of the people they interview.<br>
Dr.Naing Aung<br>
Chairperson<br>
ABSDF<br>
<BR>

All Burma Students' Democratic Front (ABSDF)<br>
P.O. Box 42, Hua Mark P.O, Bangkapi, 10243, Bangkok<br>
&lt;caroline@xxxxxxxxxxxx&gt; &lt;lurie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<br>