NEWS !! - Thai fishermen put bounty

Subject: NEWS !! - Thai fishermen put bounty on hostage-takers

THE NATION - October 21, 1999

Thai fishermen put bounty on hostage-takers

A GROUP of Thai fishermen are offering a reward of Bt5 million for the
capture of the five students who stormed the Burmese embassy in Bangkok,
in
the hope of regaining their fishing rights in Burmese waters.

''We decided to put up the reward because we believe that it is the only
way
our fishermen can resume their activities,'' said Somkiet Sathajit who
represents Thai fishermen based on the west coast.

Rangoon closed its waters to Thai fishing boats after the embassy
incident.
Border crossings have also been closed.

The Burmese ambassador to Thailand, Hla Muang, recently suggested that
the
arrest of the five Burmese students, who were given safe passage after
the
embassy incident, could help improve the situation.

''Thai fishermen have no other alternative,'' Somkiet said. ''The
closure is
causing great damage to the economy. Earning from fishing activities
total
billions of baht a year and these have been disrupted.''

Meanwhile, Komet Daengthongdee, governor of Ratchaburi province, said he
would ask officials with the United Nations High Commissioner for
Refugees
(UNHCR) who were held captive by Burmese exiles at the Maneeloy Holding
Centre on Monday to take legal action against their captors. He said
this
would serve as a warning to exiled students not to engage in violent
acts.

Komet said he would ask the officials to file charges with the police
accusing the Burmese exiles of violating their rights by holding them
captive.

The officials were locked up inside the Maneeloy Holding Centre in
Ratchaburi for almost six hours after the Burmese had complained about
the
payments they receive from the UNHCR.

Komet said he had also received complaints from people living near the
centre, but added that it was a sensitive issue and Thailand must not be
seen to be violating anyone's human rights.

Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai said it was not necessary to close the
centre,
but he added that the agencies involved must reconsider how to keep
order
among people seeking political asylum in Thailand.

''We have let these Burmese exiles stay on Thai soil for so long that
the
problem has become exacerbated,'' Chuan said.

''If they are seeking shelter in Thailand but still causing us trouble,
then
we cannot take responsibility for them any further,'' added Interior
Minister Sanan Kachornprasart.