AUSSIE'S TRUE SKIN (r)

(Original message at end)

Dear susu et al,

The nearest there is to a government recognition of CRPP is the
Belgian parliament's endorsement last year.

Groups of parliamentarians in most Scandinavian and, I think,
Dutch (BCN, PLEASE CONFIRM) parliaments have also endorsed.

The Inter-Parliamentary Union endorsed the CRPP this last April (and
no doubt repeated the gesture at their Berlin conference last week,
but I haven't got the text yet)

But no actual government has or is likely to  (Macchiavelli rules, in case
you hadn't noticed)

As a consolation, here's a re-post of what I put out on the IPU resolution.
(I'm sure there was a delegation of true-blues from the land of Oz there)

The Berlin text will go on the nets when I get it -- probably tomorrow.

Best wishes

David Arnott
**********************

Text of Inter-Parliamentary Union resolution on Burma (Brussels, April 1999)
preceded by a light commentary by David Arnott

IPU ENDORSES CRPP BY CONSENSUS

One of the most important and authoritative endorsements of Burma's
Committee Representing the People's Parliament (CRPP) to date was made by
the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), the assembly of the world's
parliaments, at its April Conference in Brussels in a resolution which
somehow has not been widely picked up, or its significance fully recognised.

The prestigious IPU, the world body with the greatest expertise on
parliaments and constitutions, affirms (in operative paragraph (op) 2 --
see full text of the resolution, below)

"that in demanding that Parliament be convened and in setting up the
"Committee representing the People's Parliament", the MPs-elect are merely
defending the rights of their constituents to take part in the conduct of
public affairs through representatives of their choice, as guaranteed under
Article 21 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and exercising
their right to discharge the mandate entrusted to them in 1990"

Article 21 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) states that:
"1. Everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country,
directly or through freely chosen
representatives.
2. Everyone has the right of equal access to public service in his country.
3. The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of
government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections
which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret
vote or by equivalent free voting procedures."

Not only does the IPU resolution support the formation and activities of
the CRPP by citing the authority of UDHR Article 21, but it also (in op 3)
"reaffirms that [the Government of Myanmar's] refusal to convene the
Parliament elected in 1990 constitutes a violation of the principle
established in Article 21 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights that
« the will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government ».
UDHR Article 21 has also been quoted in most of the UN resolutions on
Burma, and indicates where, in international law, the legitimacy of
governments lies (for several years the Burmese junta has attempted,
without success, to claim that it is the legitimate ruler of "Myanmar",
even trying to muddle the distinction between legitimacy -- which comes
from a popular mandate -- and recognition, which governments accord for all
sorts of political, economic or strategic reasons, but which does not
confer legitimacy).

It should be noted that respect for the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights is binding on all UN member States.

In op 3 of its April resolution, the IPU:
"Calls on its member Parliaments to press for respect for democratic
principles in Myanmar and show, by whatever means they deem appropriate,
particularly through support for the « Committee representing the People's
Parliament », their solidarity with their colleagues from the Pyithu
Hluttaw elected in 1990".

This call to its member parliaments by the "parliament of parliaments" will
certainly strengthen support in national parliaments for further
endorsements of the CRPP, and further action by governments in support of
the CRPP and a transition of power to the National League for Democracy
(NLD), the overwhelming victor in the 1990 elections.

It is also significant that the resolution was adopted by consensus, i.e.
all member parliaments, which include those of China, Malaysia, Singapore,
Thailand etc., went along with it, and should be congratulated on and held
to their courageous and principled stand.

IPU's endorsement of the CRPP and its call to its member parliaments to act
in solidarity with the MPs-elect in Burma must be considered a major
international victory for the Burmese democracy movement -- Burma's
National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma (NCGUB), in the person
of Prime Minister Dr Sein Win and other Burmese MPs-elect, maintained an
active presence at the conference, and U Teddy Buri, NCGUB Minister for
Southeast Asian Affairs, addressed the IPU Human Rights Committee in Geneva
in January.

********************
Resolution adopted without a vote by the Inter-Parliamentary Council at its
164th session (Brussels, 16 April 1999)

The Inter-Parliamentary Council,

Referring to the outline of the case, as contained in the report of the
Committee on the Human Rights of Parliamentarians (CL/164/13(b)-R.1), and
to the resolution adopted at its 163rd session (September 1998) concerning
the case of the above-mentioned elected members of the Pyithu Hluttaw
(People's Assembly) of the Union of Myanmar,

Recalling that on 27 May 1990 a national election called by the then State
Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) was held to constitute a new
Parliament (Pyithu Hluttaw) and that the National League for Democracy
(NLD) won 392 of the 485 seats (about 81% of total seats), all the above
persons being among those elected; that, however, instead of transferring
power as it had pledged before the election, SLORC ruled, in Declaration
1/90, that the duties of the elected representatives were merely to draft a
State Constitution and convene a « National Convention » to lay down the
fundamental principles of a new democratic Constitution; that, under severe
pressure from SLORC, the National League of Democracy participated in the
Convention's work but withdrew in November 1995 thus severing whatever link
there may have been between the Convention and the popular will as
expressed in the 1990 elections,

Considering that, since 1990, SLORC not only systematically impeded the
functioning of the National League for Democracy, in particular, but
eliminated from the political process the MPs elected in 1990, first by
invalidating election results, dismissing them from Parliament and banning
them from future elections, by forcing them to resign and finally by
arresting, detaining and sentencing them on the basis of laws (such as the
Emergency Provision Act, State Protection Act, Official Secrets Act,
Printers and Publishers Registration Act, Unlawful Associations Act, etc.)
considered by the competent United Nations human rights bodies to be in
breach of international civil and political rights standards,

Considering that, as a result of such measures, out of the 392 NLD
MPs-elect, over 160 have been deprived of their status as MPs-elect,
Considering that on 27 May 1998 the NLD leadership demanded that the ruling
State Peace and Development Council (SPDC, former SLORC) convene the
Parliament elected in 1990 within three months; that, in view of the
impossibility of doing this, a Committee was constituted on 16 September
1998 « to act for and on behalf of the 1990 Multiparty General Elections
People's Parliament » composed of 10 MPs-elect belonging to different
political parties and regions,

Considering that as a result of the NLD demand to convene Parliament and
the establishment of the « Committee representing the People's Parliament »,
the SPDC called in NLD MPs-elect outside Rangoon demanding that they
sign a declaration not to leave their home towns in the foreseeable future;
that restraining orders have been issued against all NLD MPs-elect, who are
required to stay within the confines of their respective municipalities for
a year; that those who refused have either been arrested or are subject to
judicial prosecution and that since September 1998, approximately 150
MPs-elect have been arrested and are still in detention; considering that,
according to the SPDC, these MPs-elect have merely been « called in
temporarily at guest houses for the purpose of exchanging views on the
consequences of the actions of the party (the NLD) for the peace and
stability of the State ». Sixty-three NLD MPs-elect and 321 party members
who undertook not to participate in such illegal activities were returned
to their homes,

Considering in this connection the situation of Dr. Saw Mra Aung, an
80-year-old medical doctor arrested on 8 September 1998 and the fears
expressed by the United Nations Rapporteurs on torture and the
Chairman-Rapporteur of the United Nations Working Group on Arbitrary
Detention as regards his health while in detention, together with the reply
of the Permanent Representative of Myanmar to the United Nations Office in
Geneva that he had not been arrested but was « comfortably accommodated at
the government guest house where he is accorded due courtesy and respect »,
has unlimited access to his family and was « chauffeured to his residence
for overnight reunions with his family »,

Recalling the death in prison of Tin Maung Win, Hla Tan and Saw Win in
January 1991, August 1996 and August 1998 respectively, and considering in
this connection the many reports and testimonies gathered from former
detainees to the effect that prisoners are denied adequate food and health
care, housed in insanitary and degrading conditions and subjected to cruel
disciplinary practices and torture,

Recalling in this connection that the present United Nations Special
Rapporteur on the human rights situation in Myanmar has not been able to
visit Myanmar, that the former Rapporteur was denied access to prison cells
and could not meet any detainee while visiting Myanmar, and that the
Government of that country rejected the International Committee of the Red
Cross (ICRC) standard requirements for visits to places of detention;
recalling also that the authorities of Myanmar have never responded to the
IPU's request for information as to the places and conditions of detention
of the detained MPs-elect,

Bearing in mind that, in its resolution 1998/63, the United Nations
Commission on Human Rights « expressed its deep concern that the Government
of Myanmar has still not implemented its commitment to take all necessary
steps towards democracy in the light of the democratic elections of 1990,
while noting that the absence of respect for the rights pertaining to
democratic government is at the root of all major violations of human
rights in Myanmar », and called on it « to take urgent and meaningful
measures to ensure the establishment of democracy in accordance with the
will of the people as expressed in the democratic elections held in 1990
 ... »;

that, likewise the United Nations General Assembly, in resolution
53/162 of 25 February 1999, strongly urged the Government of Myanmar,
« taking into account its assurances given at various times, to take all
necessary steps towards the restoration of democracy in accordance with the
will of the people as expressed in the democratic elections held in 1990 »
and to « release immediately and unconditionally detained political leaders
and all political prisoners ... »,

1. Strongly condemns the continuing deliberate policy of the Government of
the Union of Myanmar to disregard the outcome of the elections of 1990 and
its unwillingness to hand over power to those democratically elected, and
reaffirms that its refusal to convene the Parliament elected in 1990
constitutes a violation of the principle established in Article 21 of the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights that « the will of the people shall
be the basis of the authority of government »;

2. Affirms that in demanding that Parliament be convened and in setting up
the « Committee representing the People's Parliament », the MPs-elect are
merely defending the rights of their constituents to take part in the
conduct of public affairs through representatives of their choice, as
guaranteed under Article 21 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,
and exercising their right to discharge the mandate entrusted to them in 1990;

3. Calls on its member Parliaments to press for respect for democratic
principles in Myanmar and show, by whatever means they deem appropriate,
particularly through support for the « Committee representing the People's
Parliament », their solidarity with their colleagues from the Pyithu
Hluttaw elected in 1990;

4. Expresses its indignation at the massive arrests and detention of NLD
MPs-elect and other members of the NLD, seemingly on no legal basis, and
strongly urges the authorities to release them all immediately and
unconditionally;

5. Is outraged at the restrictions imposed on NLD MPs-elect and the
pressures exerted on them to relinquish their status as MPs-elect, and
urges the authorities to put an immediate end to such practices and to
reinstate those MPs already forced to resign;

6. Reiterates the concerns and considerations expressed in its previous
resolutions regarding the detention and death in prison of MPs-elect;

7. Recalls that the Union of Myanmar, as a member of the United Nations, is
bound to respect the rights established in the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights, which is recognised as a general standard on human rights, in
particular the right of all to take part in the conduct of public affairs,
the right to liberty and security of person, the right to be treated with
dignity and humanity, the right to fair trial and the right to freedom of
expression and association;

8. Regrets the authorities' lack of response to its consistent requests to
conduct an on-site mission to the Union of Myanmar, which it wishes
formally to reiterate in order to meet with the authorities and the leaders
of the opposition, in addition to visiting arrested or imprisoned
MPs-elect, to shed light on the alleged facts;

9. Requests the Secretary General to convey this resolution to the
authorities;

10. Requests the Committee on the Human Rights of Parliamentarians to
continue examining the case and report to it at its next session (October
1999).
###