We need consistant actions by the U

Subject: We need consistant actions by the UN?

We need consistant actions by the UN?
====================================

While I beleive that UN acted in good faith in all cases, I would like to
urge the world's body not to loose sight of consistancy in its policy ( e.g
its policy towards  Parkistan, Burma, etc ) to preserve it respect and
credibility as we enter the next millennium.

"Constructive Engagement" policy of ASEAN has failed to bring democracy or
bring closer a reconciliation talk between SPDC and the democractic forces
including the NLD in Burma. I certainly feel that, "A Quid Pro Quo", a talk
for aid deal with Burma will only give the military regime in Burma to
prolong its grip on power.

The following news are the reasons to my concern.

"Last Tuesday, Pakistan's army, led by General Pervez Musharraf, deposed
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's government in an apparently bloodless miltary
coup".

"On Sunday, Musharraf, announced a joint military-civilian rule, pledging to
return Pakistan to democracy but made no mention of the timeframe that
Western powers have pressed for".

"The United States and European Union have both threatened stern action
against Pakistan suggesting that they could block International Monetary
Fund disbursements, which currently make up the country's sole foreign
exchange reserves".

But, in Burma, a diametrically opposite action is about to take place almost
the same time.

Since 1962, the only democractically elected government led by U Nu was
toppled by an almost bloodless military coup led by General Ne Win.

In 1988, SLORC came to power by another military coup after killing
thousands of pro-democracy protestors.

Aung San Suu Kyi's NLD party won the general election held by SLORC in May
1990 with an overwhelming majority. SLORC was renamed as SPDC in November
1998 and remained in power until today.

"Much of the international community has suspended non-humanitarian aid to
Myanmar because of the junta's poor human rights record and refusal to
recognise the NLD's 1990 election victory".

"United Nations special envoy Alvaro de Soto was due to leave Myanmar late
Monday at the end of a five-day mission aimed at encouraging dialogue
between the junta and opposition".

"The UN is believed to be considering linking World Bank aid to reform in an
effort to prod the junta to talk with Aung San Suu Kyi's National league for
Democracy (NLD)".

"A representative of the World Bank is thought to have joined de Soto's
mission".

While a stright forward positive outcome from this visit is very unlikely to
take place in the near future due to SPDC's poor credibility in keeping its
promise, we still have time and it's worthwhile for the UN to review its
policy towards all regimes which came to power by military coups undermining
the principles of democractic rules.

UN should devise a fundamental policy to put an end to a class of all
military rulers which came to power by military coups overthrowing
democractically elected governments and ruling the country against the will
of its people.

In the case of Burma, the will of the majority of the 45 million people in
Burma can't be wrong when they voted for the NLD to represent them in the
1990 general election. They have lived through a great deal of suffering and
hardship under the military regime in Burma for far too long. Please help
them.

With Metta

Minn Kyaw Minn