[burmanet2-l] Ant-Trade with Gener

Subject: Re: [burmanet2-l] Ant-Trade with  Generals

Dear Thein Wein,

Here is a copy of the body of the letter sent by
Friends of NLD Australia to:

President Mbeki
Deputy President Zuma
Mr Alec Erwin
Mr Johan Theron
Mr Marius de Jager

In peace,
Susan Locke
Chair

********************************

Friends of NLD Australia
P.O. Box 288
Enmore NSW	2042
Australia

October 16, 1999

Dear

It is with the greatest regret that I commence
this letter regarding the participation of
Myanmar in SAITEX99 with a quotation from Nelson
Mandela from his "Long walk to Freedom". Regret
not that I use the words of Mandela, but that
the vision he had for human rights and for
freedom appears to have been discarded so easily
in the post Mandela South Africa.

"When I walked out of prison, that was my
mission, to liberate the oppressed and the
oppressor both. Some say that has now been
achieved. But I know that that is not the case.
The truth is that we are not yet free; we have
merely achieved the freedom to be free, the
right not to be oppressed. We have not taken the
final step of our journey, but the first step on
a longer and even more difficult road. For to be
free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but
to live in a way that respects and enhances the
freedom of others. The true test of our devotion
to freedom is just beginning.

I have walked that long road to freedom. I have
tried not to falter; I have made missteps along
the way. But I have discovered the secret that
after climbing a great hill, one only finds that
there are many more hills to climb. I have taken
a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the
glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back
on the distance I have come. But I can rest only
for a moment, for with freedom comes
responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my
long walk is not yet ended."

I am writing on behalf of the Friends of
National League for Democracy Australia, a human
rights groups in Australia seeking the
restoration of democracy and the upholding of
human rights in Burma. Our members, as do many
other Burmese pro-democracy groups, see in the
South African struggle for freedom, significant
parallels with the struggle for freedom in
Burma. Many of us were involved in the
anti-apartheid movement and supported economic
sanctions against South Africa.

It appears that once democracy and human rights
have been achieved in your country through both
an internal and an external struggle that your
country has chosen to ignore one of the most
serious human rights situations in the world. As
Nelson Mandela states "For to be free is not
merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in
a way that respects and enhances the freedom of
others". Is it now the case that with Nelson
Mandela no longer President that South Africa
that such a commitment has been discarded?

Perhaps not. I was heartened to read the South
African Bill of Rights, and find that there is a
substantial commitment to equality, freedom and
rights evidenced in that document.  However,
there is a sharp contrast between that document
and that of the situation in Burma as evidenced
by the United States Department of State's Burma
Country Report on Human Rights 1998 released
earlier this year:

"The Government's longstanding severe repression
of human rights continued during the year.
Citizens continued to live subject at any time
and without appeal to the arbitrary and
sometimes brutal dictates of the military
dictatorship. Citizens do not have the right to
change their government. The SPDC has given no
sign of a willingness to cede its hold on
absolute power. There continue to be credible
reports, particularly in ethnic
minority-dominated areas, that soldiers
committed serious human rights abuses, including
extra judicial killings and rape. Disappearances
continued, and members of the security forces
beat and otherwise abused detainees. Prison
conditions are harsh and life threatening.
Arbitrary arrests and detentions for expression
of dissenting political views continued with
increasing frequency in an effort to intimidate
the populace into submission in the face of
deepening economic and political instability.
More than 1,000 political prisoners remained in
government custody, including the approximately
200 parliamentarians elected in 1990 detained
since September. Since May 1996, at least 1,000
persons have been arrested, detained, or
imprisoned for political reasons. The judiciary
is subject to executive influence. During the
year, foreign tourists, businessmen and those
suspected of or charged with political actions
were subjected to increased surveillance,
harassment, deportation, and in a few cases
imprisonment. The SPDC maintained and
intensified its restrictions on basic rights of
free speech, press, assembly, and association.
Political party activity remained severely
restricted."
(http://www.state.gov/www/global/human_rights/1998_hrp_report/burma.html).

I beg your indulgence in requesting that you
locate this information and inform yourself of
the human rights abuses, including murder,
torture, rape, scorched earth, forced labour,
that exemplifies life in Burma today.

It is inconceivable to members of the Friends of
National League for Democracy Australia that a
spokesperson for SAITEX can state:

"We pleased to have attracted Myanmar," said
Johan Theron, SAITEX exhibition director. "This
is a breakthrough, a link-up from Africa to a
potentially lucrative developing country that
until now has been a closed book to us. I am
sure the Myanmar exhibit is going to generate a
lot of interest and hopefully two-way trade and
investment."

To separate financial and economic benefit from
a consideration of the human rights abuses that
are and will be intensified through such trade
is a source of great sadness for the many of us
who cheered and celebrated when the cruel
apartheid regime in South Africa was swept
aside.

For the sake of all of us who value human rights
and freedom for all peoples please ban the
attendance of the so-called Myanmar
representatives at SAITEX. We also ask for your
support in imposing economic sanctions against
Burma until such time as democracy is restored.
You may be aware that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the
leader of the National League for Democracy,
that has been unable to take its rightful place
as the governing body of Burma despite an
overwhelming victory at the elections of 1990,
is seeking the imposition of economic sanctions
by the international community. In particular I
draw your attention to her words about South
Africa on April 23, 1997 when she received an
honorary doctorate from the University of Natal:

"As a very new student at Oxford University, I
was taken to shop for fruit by an English
friend.  As I was reaching for a big, handsome
orange she looked at the label on the fruit,
told me it come from South Africa and explained
why I should not buy it. I was stuck by the
strength of her determination to do whatever she
could to combat apartheid, particularly as she
was not at all politically inclined. For her it
was a matter of conscience, an act of common
humanity to stand by the black people of South
Africa  in their fight to live as full citizens
in their own country. I am happy and proud to be
able to say that from that day  I never bought
anything from South Africa  as a protest against
apartheid. Since apartheid collapsed I have not
had a chance to buy anything South African."

We seek your urgent intervention on this serious
matter. We appeal to the evidence of your own
country's history. Please say NO to contact with
the one of the most brutal regimes in the world.

Yours faithfully,
Susan Locke
Chair