Reuters-UN official begins visit to

Subject: Re: Reuters-UN official begins visit to Myanmar Thursday

I feel a great heaviness in me when you reccommend the East Timor
model.  What happened in East Timor is far from satisfactory.  Indonesia
and the TNI were never a willing party to the program for free elections
and were obstructionist to boot. What more, they continue to harass the
UN Forces and wanting to have their lackeys (Malaysia) lead the UN peace
keeping force.

I cannot, at this point support anything that will cause further
bloodshed.  Everything points to the inability of SPDC to talk with NLD
but I do not think we can give up hope that we can make space for the
role of SPDC to enter negotiations with NLD.  We cannot take the liberty
of putting more lives at risk the way it happened in East Timor.

Should a E Timor type of process be accepted then we must insure that
there will not be bloodshed by either side.

There are culprits larger than SLORC/SPDC who provide the incentive for
the continual oppression of the people of Burma. Will they allow their
investments to be thereatened by a free and democratic population? Can
we afford to leave them out of any negotiations knowing that they are
continually influencing the outcomes from the confines of the shadows?
te