[burmanet2-l] Ant-Trade with Gener

Subject: Re: [burmanet2-l] Ant-Trade with  Generals

Dear Thein Win,

Thank you for this posting.

I did a little digging myself to find out what
was going on and found the information (at the
end of my response) on the Saitex website
(http://mbendi.co.za/saitex/). The separation of
economic exploitation/greed from a consideration
for human rights is mind blowing. I am astounded
that given the struggle for human rights in
South Africa and the international community's
support for economic sanctions to bring down a
brutal government that this is happening. Then
again all I have seen about greed in this world
should tell me that I shouldn't be surprised and
that we must keep on seeking respect for human
rights. A moment's inattention is all that it
takes.

I started thinking about Nelson Mandela when I
read the posting and found this quote from him
that seems to get to some of the feelings of
frustration I have around this issue. The quote
comes from his book, "The Long walk to Freedom":

"It was during those long and lonely years that
my hunger for the freedom of my own people
became a hunger for the freedom of all people,
white and black. I knew as well as I knew
anything that the oppressor must be liberated
just as surely as the oppressed. A man who takes
away another man's freedom is a prisoner of
hatred, he is locked behind the bars of
prejudice and narrow-mindedness. I am not truly
free if I am taking away someone else's freedom,
just as surely as I am not free when my freedom
is taken from me. The oppressed and the
oppressor alike are robbed of their humanity.

When I walked out of prison, that was my
mission, to liberate the oppressed and the
oppressor both. Some say that has now been
achieved. But I know that that is not the case.
The truth is that we are not yet free; we have
merely achieved the freedom to be free, the
right not to be oppressed. We have not taken the
final step of our journey, but the first step on
a longer and even more difficult road. For to be
free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but
to live in a way that respects and enhances the
freedom of others. The true test of our devotion
to freedom is just beginning.

I have walked that long road to freedom. I have
tried not to falter; I have made missteps along
the way. But I have discovered the secret that
after climbing a great hill, one only finds that
there are many more hills to climb. I have taken
a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the
glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back
on the distance I have come. But I can rest only
for a moment, for with freedom comes
responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my
long walk is not yet ended."

I have also included in this posting a
summarised version of the South African Bill of
Rights. Spot the difference with what is
happening in Burma! It might be worthwhile
drawing the attention of the SA people on the
list of their own Bill of Rights and ask that
the same rights be supported in all countries.

In the light of Nelson Mandela's words, could I
also be presumptuous enough to suggest that the
President Mbeki also be contacted as well as the
Deputy President Zuma. Their details are:

Mr T Mbeki
President of South Africa
Private Bag X1000
Pretoria 0001
South Africa
Tel:(012) 319-1500
Fax:(012) 323 8246

Mr J. Zuma
Deputy President of South Africa
Private Bag X955
Pretoria 0001
South Africa
Tel: (012) 323 2502/3
Fax: (012) 323 2573/6

If anyone knows how to contact Nelson Mandela
perhaps they could post that to Burmanet as
well.

In peace,
Susan Locke
Friends of NLD Australia

>From the Saitex website

http://www.mbendi.co.za/a_sndmsg/news_view.asp?P=0&PG=32&I=1321&M=0

The Union of Myanmar at SAITEX 1999

A newcomer at SAITEX 99 will be Myanmar
(formerly Burma), seeking trade, as well as
investment in a fast-growing economy based on
timber, agriculture, fisheries, mining and oil
and gas production. SAITEX 99, a trade show of
Kagiso Exhibitions (Pty) Ltd will be held from
19 ? 23 October 1999 at the Expo Centre, Nasrec.

There is currently no trade or investment
relationship between Myanmar - the largest
country on the south-east Asian mainland - and
South Africa. "We are keen  to develop trade
links with South Africa," said Myanmar
Ambassador Kyaw Thu. "It is my opinion that
business opportunities exist in various sectors
and categories. I believe SAITEX 99 will serve
as a platform to reach traders, investors and
joint venture partners from South Africa, as
well as from other participating countries."

Myanmar currently trades mainly with Singapore,
Thailand, China, Japan and Malaysia. Foreign
investment is encouraged, either by joint
venture or with 100% foreign ownership, and
qualifies for a range of tax and other
incentives.

The country has so far attracted $7 billion (US)
in foreign investment, spread across 303
enterprises. These include manufacturing (113
enterprises); oil and gas (46); Mining (43); and
hotels and tourism (40). Other categories with
foreign participation are real estate, transport
and communication, livestock and fisheries,
industrial estates, construction and
agriculture.

Myanmar has shown relatively high economic
growth over recent years - 6,4% in 1996/97; 5,7%
in 1997/98; and (preliminary figures) 5,6% in
1998/99. More than half Myanmar's 676 577 square
kilometres is covered by forest, producing teak
and various other hardwoods.

Sound conservation is practised, with 15% of the
land area being proclaimed as reserve and with a
sustained programme in place for reforestation
in the harvested areas.

Opportunities exist in the timber sector for
production of semi-manufactured and fully
manufactured goods. Agriculture accounts for 36%
of Myanmar's gross  domestic product, with 28
million acres of arable land under cultivation
at present and another 22 million acres waiting
to be developed. Livestock production is also
important.

Myanmar's fishery resources - a coastline of
almost 3 000 km has an estimated annual
sustainable yield of a million tons, only 60% of
which is presently being harvested.

The mining sector produces copper, gold, lead,
zinc, iron and steel, granite, marble, nickel,
tin, tungsten and limestone. Myanmar is also
famous for its gemstones - 36 types ? notably
the finest quality rubies and sapphires.

"We are pleased to have attracted Myanmar," said
Johan Theron, SAITEX exhibition director. "This
is a breakthrough, a link-up from Africa to a
potentially lucrative developing country that
until now has been a closed book to us. I am
sure the Myanmar exhibit is going to generate a
lot of interest and hopefully two-way trade and
investment."

It is expected that some 30 000 visitors will
attend SAITEX at the Expo Cenre, Nasrec this
year.

Issued by International Trade Projects on behalf
of SAITEX
For further information please contact
Leigh Angelo on
Tel: (011) 447-6568
Fax: (011) 447-6571
Email: leigh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

South African Bill of Rights (website:
http://www.sahrc.org.za/)

Equality:
You cannot be discriminated against. But
affirmative action and fair discrimination are
allowed.

Human dignity:
Your dignity must be respected and protected.

Life:
You have the right to life.

Freedom and security of the person:
You cannot be detained without trial, tortured
or punished cruelly. Domestic violence is not
allowed.

Slavery, servitude and forced labour:
Slavery, servitude and forced labour are not
allowed.

Privacy:
You cannot be searched or have your home or
possessions searched.

Freedom of religion, belief and opinion:
You can believe and think whatever you want and
can follow the religion of your choice.

Freedom of expression:
All people (including the press) can say
whatever they want.

Assembly, demonstration, picket and petition:
You can hold a demonstration, picket and present
a petition. But you must do this peacefully.

Freedom of association:
You can associate with whoever you want to.

Political rights:
You can support the political party of your
choice. If you are a citizen, and at least 18
years old, you can vote.

Citizenship:
Your citizenship cannot be taken away from you.

Freedom of movement and residence:
You can go and live anywhere in South Africa.

Freedom of trade, occupation and profession:
You can do whatever work you choose.

Labour relations:
You may join trade unions and go on strike.

Environment:
You have the right to a healthy environment.

Property:
Your property can only be taken away from you if
the proper rules are followed.

Housing:
The government must make sure people get access
to proper housing.

Health care, food, water and social security:
The government must make sure you have access to
food and water; health care and social security.

Children:
Children under the age of 18 have special
rights, like the right not to be abused.

Education:
You have the right to basic education, including
adult basic education, in your own language (if
this is possible).

Language and culture:
You can use the language you want to and follow
the culture that you choose.

Cultural, religious and linguistic communities:
Communities can enjoy their own culture;
practice their own religion; and use their own
language.

Access to information:
You have the right to any information which the
government has.

Just administrative action:
Actions by the government must be fair.

Access to courts:
You can have a legal problem decided by a court,
or a similar structure.

Arrested, detained and accused persons:
This right protects people who have been
arrested, imprisoned or accused.