Thai army commander comments on sit

BBC Summary of World Broadcasts
October 12, 1999, Tuesday

Thai army commander comments on situation along Burmese border

Source: Radio Thailand, Bangkok, in Thai 0530 gmt 11 Oct 99

Text of report by Thai radio on 11th October

Supreme commander Gen Mongkhon Amphonphisit accompanied Singapore Deputy
Defence Minister
David Lim and Philippine Armed Forces Chief of Staff Gen Argelo T. Reyes to
pay a courtesy call on
Prime Minister and Defence Minister Chuan Likphai at Government House this
morning. The visit of the
two high-level military officers has further strengthened relations between
the Thai Defence Ministry and
the defence ministries of their respective countries.

After the meeting with the prime minister, the Thai supreme commander told
reporters that he could not
tell how the situation along the Thai-Burmese border would further develop,
but he hoped that everything
would be alright and there should not be anything to worry about because
the 3rd Army Region is taking
care of the situation. The supreme commander said the prime minister has
not issued any special
instruction in dealing with the border situation. The supreme commander said:

[Mongkhon] I really do not know how far it will continue. I can only pray
and hope that everything will be
okay.

[Correspondent] Has the government instructed the military to seek a dialogue?

[Mongkhon] Not yet. We have not yet discussed this matter. I do not know
the details.

[Correspondent] How does the military view the situation? Their troops are
deployed along the border.
What shall we do if they violate our territory?

[Mongkhon] We will take action. It is unlikely that there will be any
encroachment because they are also
cautious. It will not be that bad.

[Correspondent] Whenever they launch a suppression operation we are always
affected.

[Mongkhon] Yes, you are right. We are always vigilant. The 3rd Army Region
is taking care of the
situation. There should not be any problem. [End of recording]

The supreme commander also disclosed that the last batch of Thai troops
would probably be dispatched to
East Timor in the middle of this month.

Internet ProLink PC User